THIS is why HRMs have limited use for tracking calories

Options

Replies

• EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just do -30% from the cal burn given and log it that way. MFP's calculations end up being pretty close and most of the time I go with whichever is lower.
    That sounds like a good idea to use when I do my 30DS workout, thanks for the tip. I would guess that when I go for walks for straight cardio that I shouldn't need to deduct anything but since 30DS combines cardio, strength and abs, it's more tricky to deduce the actual calorie burn and deducting 30% may be the way to go.

I just bought my HRM this weekend and haven't tried it yet. I'm really curious to see how closely it matches MFP and my RunKeeper app (which tracks exercise via GPS and tells you calories burned, among other things).
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Were they physically attacked in the gym? If not, what does this have to do with the gym?

She said above that her friend got pushed down and needed stitches and she gets water bottles thrown at her and mooed at. If she reports it and works up the chain of command, they can remedy things. Or like I said in my other post above, figure out alternatives.

I agree.

I find it hard to believe that the only gym available is the one on the base.

In rural northern Japan...yeah. The only gym I as a SOFA Status dependent am allowed to use is the Potter Fitness Center on base. Thanks though.

Then don't strength train at the gym.

Go buy some free weights and use them at home. If you don't have the money for that then buy some resistance bands. You can do some great strength training with resistance bands. There are also DVD's that you can buy or that even come with the equipment that you can use. Do body weight exercises: squats, push ups, dips, lunges.

There are a lot of inexpensive ways for you to get in some strength training.

That counts? Any time I've seen it talked about its everyone saying pretty much if you don't lift heavy you're not worth anything. I can't buy free weights because it would cost way too much to get them shipped here...but I could buy resistance bands and have them shipped...thanks!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    was given

Think I spotted the problem.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    was given

Im no looking for a handout so stop trying to make me look that way. I have read and looked all over and there is simply no other matrix that doesnt cost a lot of money other than a scale. Its the only way I have to know if I am losing weight. Otherwise Im just a guy working out and not making any progress. So im gonna try what was posted above and then hit the scale again. I have no hope for success and im down $100 on a useless piece of equipment. This thread is very disheartening to me. It basically says if Im not rich, I cant find a way to know if Im doing better. Oh and the small amount of money I did have had been wasted on a worthless piece of equipment. But go ahead and keep stomping if it makes you feel better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Were they physically attacked in the gym? If not, what does this have to do with the gym?

She said above that her friend got pushed down and needed stitches and she gets water bottles thrown at her and mooed at. If she reports it and works up the chain of command, they can remedy things. Or like I said in my other post above, figure out alternatives.

I agree.

I find it hard to believe that the only gym available is the one on the base.

In rural northern Japan...yeah. The only gym I as a SOFA Status dependent am allowed to use is the Potter Fitness Center on base. Thanks though.

Then don't strength train at the gym.

Go buy some free weights and use them at home. If you don't have the money for that then buy some resistance bands. You can do some great strength training with resistance bands. There are also DVD's that you can buy or that even come with the equipment that you can use. Do body weight exercises: squats, push ups, dips, lunges.

There are a lot of inexpensive ways for you to get in some strength training.

That counts? Any time I've seen it talked about its everyone saying pretty much if you don't lift heavy you're not worth anything. I can't buy free weights because it would cost way too much to get them shipped here...but I could buy resistance bands and have them shipped...thanks!

Any exercise "counts". Heavy lifting has benefits that a lot of people here emphasize but it isnt the only way. I think you may be confusingthe threads where people are looking for specific results that would be best obtained by heavy lifting. You'll find even the hard core heavy lifting proponents will encourage you to do any type of exercise you like.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Im no looking for a handout so stop trying to make me look that way. I have read and looked all over and there is simply no other matrix that doesnt cost a lot of money other than a scale. Its the only way I have to know if I am losing weight. Otherwise Im just a guy working out and not making any progress. So im gonna try what was posted above and then hit the scale again. I have no hope for success and im down $100 on a useless piece of equipment. This thread is very disheartening to me. It basically says if Im not rich, I cant find a way to know if Im doing better. Oh and the small amount of money I did have had been wasted on a worthless piece of equipment. But go ahead and keep stomping if it makes you feel better.

The only thing holding you back is your attitude.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

So strength gains isn't progress? Being able to lift more than you did the day or week before isn't a gain? Running faster isn't a gain?

A scale isn't an "end all be all" measurement. How do your clothes fit? How about (suggesting for the umpteenth time) you get a measuring tape and measure your waist/hips/chest/quads/calves monthly and do a comparison? Last time I checked you didn't need to be a millionaire to purchase a measuring tape.

Factor in a deficit in you goals (again, stated for the umpteenth time) and eat that amount.

You're right. With that attitude you really do have no hope for success.
  • peeaanuut
    Options

How about that this thread just destroyed everything I worked for. But I guess I should be all puppy dogs and roses when that happens.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    was given

Peanut, a tape measure is a small outlay for keeping an eye on your progress.

Tape measure
    Scale

There.
  • peeaanuut
    Options

So strength gains isn't progress? Being able to lift more than you did the day or week before isn't a gain? Running faster isn't a gain?

A scale isn't an "end all be all" measurement. How do your clothes fit? How about (suggesting for the umpteenth time) you get a measuring tape and measure your waist/hips/chest/quads/calves monthly and do a comparison? Last time I checked you didn't need to be a millionaire to purchase a measuring tape.

Factor in a deficit in you goals (again, stated for the umpteenth time) and eat that amount.

we have another non reader here. The measurements havent changed. I posted that up before. I also already stated that I was going to give it a shot. what part of that didnt you read or understand?

But lets be realistic. If you see a 400 lb person walking around is your first though "man, that guy must be working or and is totally in calorie deficit". No, you think "I hope he doesnt come near me and infect me with his fatness, that big fat whale". So again, if the scale doesnt go down, peoples opinion of me will still be the same.
  • jonnythan
    Options

How about that this thread just destroyed everything I worked for. But I guess I should be all puppy dogs and roses when that happens.

This thread made you gain 19 pounds?
  • JustJennie1
    Options

we have another non reader here. The measurements havent changed. I posted that up before. I also already stated that I was going to give it a shot. what part of that didnt you read or understand?

But lets be realistic. If you see a 400 lb person walking around is your first though "man, that guy must be working or and is totally in calorie deficit". No, you think "I hope he doesnt come near me and infect me with his fatness, that big fat whale". So again, if the scale doesnt go down, peoples opinion of me will still be the same.

Yes. It's SO obvious you know me and how I think. You're amazing.

Then perhaps you need to stop focusing on the stupid scale and your HRM and adjust your workouts and reassess what you're eating. You are more than likely grossly underestimating your calories consumed while over estimating what you burn. Just set your da*n calorie settings at a 500 calorie deficit and be done with it.
  • peeaanuut
    Options

This thread made you gain 19 pounds?

and it stole $100 too!
  • peeaanuut
    Options

Then perhaps you need to stop focusing on the stupid scale and your HRM and adjust your workouts and reassess what you're eating. You are more than likely grossly underestimating your calories consumed while over estimating what you burn. Just set your da*n calorie settings at a 500 calorie deficit and be done with it.

you obviously (by your photo) dont get mooood at every day. You dont get called a bahemith every day. You dont get called a whale every day. I tell people I lost 10 lbs, they say good job. I tell them I am in 500 calorie defecit, they say, what so you are down to 15000 calories now?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX9fgLAmZutuYr2hn4j2JAy1gqKU2nQqWGTfpIE_YM2AORk_lmZaJxbx5f
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX9fgLAmZutuYr2hn4j2JAy1gqKU2nQqWGTfpIE_YM2AORk_lmZaJxbx5f

Good point. I'd hate to get blamed for the scale not moving.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow this post got sidetracked. Thanks for the info OP. I was thinking of getting a HRM, but I probably won't now because I don't do a lot of steady state cardio.

sorry for the sidetrack. My HRM is going in the trash when i get home as well.

:laugh: send it to me instead! I'll take a free one.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

you obviously (by your photo) dont get mooood at every day. You dont get called a bahemith every day. You dont get called a whale every day. I tell people I lost 10 lbs, they say good job. I tell them I am in 500 calorie defecit, they say, what so you are down to 15000 calories now?

Yes because again you know me so well. You know whether or not I struggled, where I started and how long it took me to get to where I am now.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    Nevermind, you obviously dont understand. Moving on now.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    . Bah. Never mind. Not worth it.