Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    yqxzx1d2cgnu.jpg

Wheres one in a weeener beekener?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    yqxzx1d2cgnu.jpg

still looking for it...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    OldHound wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

Should men be wearing shirts at a public pool or beach, because of "the children"?

The discussion was about running in public, not being in a place where shirtless is the norm. I agree about the maturity. Certainly, you can say "I don't care what anybody thinks" and do what you want. The problem is that an attitude like that carries over into other aspects of your life. Always better to choose self-discipline. A lack of that is why most of us are here.
    Oldhound, well said. Totally agree. It carries into other aspects of life.
    So what is your opinion of people who dress like Steve Urkel?

That depends on your answer to one question:

caf7539f-c4bf-4240-a2bc-e816345ac8e5.jpg
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    OldHound wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

Should men be wearing shirts at a public pool or beach, because of "the children"?

The discussion was about running in public, not being in a place where shirtless is the norm. I agree about the maturity. Certainly, you can say "I don't care what anybody thinks" and do what you want. The problem is that an attitude like that carries over into other aspects of your life. Always better to choose self-discipline. A lack of that is why most of us are here.

Oh *kitten*. What it really is is me not caring about what judgemental social tightwads think of me. I don't need those people in my life. And where do we draw the line? Is running shirtless on the beach ok? Do I have to put a shirt on as soon as I get to the parking lot?

I've lost and kept off 50 pounds. How exactly is that lacking self discipline?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Course old guys should keep their shirt on. Any guy past 35 years old. Duh.
    That's just common sense. Some of these people here say they do not mind seeing a shirtless old guy; but of course they do.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    As far as the shirtless running goes, I really don't think much of it. If that is how they are comfortable, then more power to them. I live in a college town and it's pretty common to see shirtless runners near campus or in the neighborhoods where the frat houses are. I'm sure I've been judged for what I wear while working out, but it's comfortable and makes me feel good. I'm not harming anyone or breaking any kind of gym dress code. If people don't like it they can look elsewhere.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Found a picture of a crocheted Pokemon weener beekener but I dare not post it
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Found a picture of a crocheted Pokemon weener beekener but I dare not post it

Do eet!
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of time and place, rather than the act itself (i.e., running shirtless) that warrants debate. For instance, I live in northern Canada - if I see someone running shirtless here, I'm going to assume that they're doing it out of narcissism and/or a need for attention, because 364/365 times you simply can't use the "it's too hot for a shirt" argument. Now, if we're talking California or someplace equally scorching, then by all means, run without a shirt - just make sure you've got sunscreen on.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    yqxzx1d2cgnu.jpg

Here's a weener in a beekener :D

FB_IMG_1459185173526.jpg

Obviously an attention horse.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

I am just curious as to then what your opinion is, concerning families that reside; in nudist communities?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    @CreativeGuy504 Devil's advocate here... Women who run in sports bras, no shirt: what are your feelings regarding a "fit" looking 25 year old woman versus a 60 year old, 300 pound woman running in public without covering herself?

(Please, please, PLEASE keep in mind, I'm just adding perspective. I am not judging anyone for age or size. Personally, I think a sports bra is a bra, which is an undergarment, which stays under my garments, not flaunted for the public to see.)

A bikini top's a bra also & typically covers much less. Besides some sports bras, aren't meant to be worn; under clothes!

8d2d7k8vljur.jpg
    yfclpn4w3xmm.jpg