Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Says the man who knows he'll never look or feel as good as the rest of us who put in the time and effort. Aristotle depicts this perfectly
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Walking is free. The rest is a waste of time & money.

The whole point is that a great percentage of the population spend more money maintaining their car than their body.

You make the kind of sense that's... not.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Naked is free. Everything else is a waste of money. Is Scrooge McDuck ever drawn naked? I think not. Therefore some people will choose to spend money.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Speaking up: The people who spend the least amount of money on fitness seem to be:
    • Pious
    • Unhappy
    • Weak in every aspect except self denial

Damn, that was harsh. I'm none of those, well maybe unhappy occasionally. I am frugal and don't spend money on gym memberships or fitbits. I would, however, spend money on polar bear slippers to keep my feet toasty on cold winter nights. I no longer have excess body fat to use for that purpose.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    What if you don't have legs?
    @Alluminati
    you would need no shoes...you'd save a lot in not having to buy shoes! :wink:
    Naked is free. Everything else is a waste of money. Is Scrooge McDuck ever drawn naked? I think not. Therefore some people will choose to spend money.
    wha? Is he your father? the OP? Naked isn't free if you get arrested while running or run in the middle of traffic. That would cost money.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    The $200-some dollars I pay annually for my rowing club membership is darn close to the best expenditure I ever make. Maybe best after food . . . but maybe not - food's kinda over-rated by comparison.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The whole point is that a great percentage of the population spend more money maintaining their car than their body.

I'm not sure I follow...

I know I don't!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Wait, is OP saying people are wasting money on exercise equipment? Or is he saying people are wasting money on cars? Or both? Or is it really a riddle? Dammit, did I wander into ChitChat again?!

ha ha I sometimes have to look up to see if I ended up in chit chat when the topic/thread gets a bit odd. Sure lets go with that... odd.

I think he's saying everything is a waste of money except walking which is free if you're naked and you can't wear shoes either. So no walking on hot cement, gravel, ice.. yea gonna be cold out walking in the Winter. I suppose you can make snow angels. Good thing is, it's all free, unless you get frostbite or a bad burn on your feet.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    A gym membership costs me right around $300 a year.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you're saying walking is more cost effective, what about when my work, which I go to in order to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head is over 22km away, then my gym and closest family are over 10km away. How exactly would I be able to make any of that work by walking everywhere? If you truly think you're as correct as you are, Id like an answer.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Speaking up: The people who spend the least amount of money on fitness seem to be:
    • Pious
    • Unhappy
    • Weak in every aspect except self denial

Damn, that was harsh. I'm none of those, well maybe unhappy occasionally. I am frugal and don't spend money on gym memberships or fitbits. I would, however, spend money on polar bear slippers to keep my feet toasty on cold winter nights. I no longer have excess body fat to use for that purpose.

The OP was specifically asking for a debate: I posted my comments based on that, it was a direct response to the OP's troll-like post and I tried to make it just as absolutist as his post.

In reality I don't believe these three points apply to all/many who spend little on fitness (and those faults are common among people who DO spend big money on fitness). In fact, I had years where I spend virtually zero on my own fitness (partly because with young children and my own business I couldn't spend the time away from the home very often) choosing home body weight workouts and later investing in home gym equipment.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Walking is free. The rest is a waste of time & money.

What nonsense.

Price is only one component of value.

You need to expand your mind to restrict your waistline.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love to stir up people's passions. Speak up folks!
    How about igniting your own passion and hit the gym for some strength training?

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    While obviously stated just to stir the pot and provoke discussion, the OP does have a point that can be viewed from opposing sides, and still makes sense.

I see people that get fit with a totally minimalist approach, and very little financial investment. I see people that invest much greater financial resources and don't get fit. I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle. The way I see it the real investment for fitness has to be in time and dedication working towards your goals. The financial outlay might make it more comfortable, convenient, time efficient, etc, but in the end the things you can't pay for are what really drives the end result.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love to stir up people's passions. Speak up folks!

That's one way to describe trolling! B)
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I want to spend my money and time in the gym making obvious strength and cardiovascular gains, that's my choice. What works for you doesn't work for everyone.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    You can get fit with no equipment, but I do spend money on stuff that does not help me get fit, just because I like those stuff, same token, I really enjoy purchasing my gym equipment to help me get fit and healthy, doable without spending the money but I love my new gym toys!