400 calories in a bagel???

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Replies

• adambrewington23
    adambrewington23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bit much in my opinion, but then again I constantly overstate my portions to be on the safe side.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Any bread of that weight has about as many calories. Sad, but because baked products are generally low in moisture they end up being calorie dense even if they aren't high in fat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bagels do have many more calories than what bread has. I discovered that about 10 years ago.

Nutrition data says that a large bagel (131 grams) has 364 calories.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4820/2

Yours was even bigger ... so 409 sounds about right.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I guess it makes sense, 147g of bread would be a lot of calories too... it would just be a much bigger serving!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yep, this is why i get my fix with the bagel "thin" options.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Well, you could scoop out some of the inside and save it to make bread crumbs (which also makes it easier to fill with whatever you want). This reduces the weight and the calories. Just scoop out enough to reduce the weight but not enough to make it stop being a begel.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bagels do have many more calories than what bread has. I discovered that about 10 years ago.

It's only a few calories more per 100 grams.

Italian bread, for example, has 271 calories per 100 g a bagel has 278. Regular commercial white and pita bread has about 266.

All breads are kinda sad. It was quite a shock to me because eating a whole 150 gram pita was a multiple times a day affair for me - that's 400 calories of bread 2-3 times a day. Not being able to eat as much bread was one of the hardest things to get used to.

I was thinking in terms of slices ... 2 slices of bread is reasonable ... 2 halves of a bagel isn't. Unless of course you want the calories. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Looks like all bagels aren't created equal. Are you talking ready-to-eat with something already stuffed between it, or just the bagels in a package to take home and prepare.

The ones I'm familiar with are by Toufayan and only have 240 calories in regular bagels, and 100 calories in their "Smart Bagels".
  • nfcat
    nfcat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yeah, sad, but it's accurate... a greek sesame bagel( 85g), has about 350 calories.... :/
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yikes.

Sounds pretty accurate to me. There's some places around here that I'd bet the bagels were upwards of 500 calories, and that's before cream cheese. And the carbs..... Haven't had a bagel in a year.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Yes. One would think you would know this by now.

So much this. Lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Italian bread, for example, has 271 calories per 100 g a bagel has 278. Regular commercial white and pita bread has about 266.

All breads are kinda sad. It was quite a shock to me because eating a whole 150 gram pita was a multiple times a day affair for me - that's 400 calories of bread 2-3 times a day. Not being able to eat as much bread was one of the hardest things to get used to.

I was thinking in terms of slices ... 2 slices of bread is reasonable ... 2 halves of a bagel isn't. Unless of course you want the calories. :)

I definitely know what you mean. My favorite rye bread is so dense and rich that a regular size slice weighs more than twice a normal white bread slice. Doesn't it stop me from eating it, but definitely not in my previous portions or as often.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's an easy mistake to make! Lots of people are stunned by the calories!
    There's other threads about bagel calories and how they've been shocked by the calories in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306196/gah-guess-i-underestimated-those-for-3-years

Lol. I knew it sounded familiar.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's an easy mistake to make! Lots of people are stunned by the calories!
    There's other threads about bagel calories and how they've been shocked by the calories in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306196/gah-guess-i-underestimated-those-for-3-years

:laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, agreed (although for me it was a good thing, since I don't care that much about bread so it was an easy way to save calories). The biggest difference is that bagels are quite dense compared to many other breads. Of course, if one has held a bagel one knows this.