Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's a more balanced breakfast with cream cheese and lox. Yum!

Throw in a tomato slice and some red onion and you got yourself a goddam deal.

I'm in!

For your further pleasure:
    seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/pan-con-tomate-tomato-bread-spanish-recipe.html

I've got way more tomatoes than I know what to do with at the moment (I will make gazpacho, but I have lots and lots and lots), so this is quite helpful! Also, looks delicious -- can't wait.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    147g is equivalent to about 3 big doorsteps of bread.

Of course it's not surprising!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    147g is equivalent to about 3 big doorsteps of bread.

Of course it's not surprising!

But it's much smaller!
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    And denser! Much, much denser!
  • pinky966
    pinky966 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whoever posted the picture of the artisan bread....that is just cruel! Thank goodness I'm not near a bakery right now...
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Always loved bagels. Always will. As my size grew smaller, I realized that I didn't have to give them up - instead I call a half of one a portion now. I buy them at Noahs - still warm on Saturday morns. - but I get the 1/2 dozen order instead of the full dozen. Lasts me and the DW through the week without having to toss out any that are too old. Days that I get a distance run in - usually weekends - I get a double portion - i.e., the whole bagel.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great. Now I want a bagel.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's why bagels are the crappiest meal of all time...they're delicious but not really worth it...I'm always hungry about an hour later. I have one every once in awhile because I adore bagels and locks with cream cheese...but yeah, for the calories I could have something far more satisfying.

I'll gladly take the calorie hit for an occasional jalapeño cheese bagel!

Asiago bagel with cream cheese, lox, onions, and capers for me please.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love bagels but definitely not the calories.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like the New York bagels, they are 223 cals, it's a lot but keeps me full for a while. I sometimes get the bagel thins for 100cals though.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I like the New York bagels, they are 223 cals, it's a lot but keeps me full for a while. I sometimes get the bagel thins for 100cals though.

That's the thing though... the pre-packaged ones in stores are often 260 calories. But when you buy one from a shop and weigh it, it's like 150 extra calories for something that isn't even that much bigger.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You weighed it, right? And the calculator told you the calories? Yes, a bagel can be 400+ calories (without the cream cheese), which is why I don't eat them very often anymore. If I'm eating something that isn't going to help me hit my protein or fats macros, or much in the way of micros, then it's going to be a donut.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Looks like all bagels aren't created equal. Are you talking ready-to-eat with something already stuffed between it, or just the bagels in a package to take home and prepare.

The ones I'm familiar with are by Toufayan and only have 240 calories in regular bagels, and 100 calories in their "Smart Bagels".

Try weighing those Bagels and calculating the calories based on the grams rather than per bagel. You might be surprised. My experience, especially with Bagels as they are quite dense, is that the expected weight per Bagel is way off meaning those 240 calories are likely more per Bagel.

@rileysowner Will try when next I get an opportunity, but do you think that will really make the difference between 240 and 400? I would imagine a 10% to 20% variance in a bad case, but more realistically 5% if I hadn't seen this debate on here.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Looks like all bagels aren't created equal. Are you talking ready-to-eat with something already stuffed between it, or just the bagels in a package to take home and prepare.

The ones I'm familiar with are by Toufayan and only have 240 calories in regular bagels, and 100 calories in their "Smart Bagels".

Try weighing those Bagels and calculating the calories based on the grams rather than per bagel. You might be surprised. My experience, especially with Bagels as they are quite dense, is that the expected weight per Bagel is way off meaning those 240 calories are likely more per Bagel.

@rileysowner Will try when next I get an opportunity, but do you think that will really make the difference between 240 and 400? I would imagine a 10% to 20% variance in a bad case, but more realistically 5% if I hadn't seen this debate on here.

I have found anything from as small as 10% to as much as 50%. The first one I ever weighed was close to a 50% increase over the expected weight. After that, I started weighing every one. For the small amount of time it takes, it gives me much more accurate numbers for calories in.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's why bagels are the crappiest meal of all time...they're delicious but not really worth it...I'm always hungry about an hour later. I have one every once in awhile because I adore bagels and locks with cream cheese...but yeah, for the calories I could have something far more satisfying.

Ain't that the truth.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Ain't that the truth.

I actually find bagels quite filling, and they keep me full. I just tend not to eat a lot of them because I am the only one in the house who likes the type I eat so they often go bad before I finish the package as usually one every couple of days is more than enough for me.
  • Francl27
    Options

Actually, I had that bagel with 50g of lox cream cheese at 7am then went on that 8.5 miles hike and I didn't even need a snack until half through (a clif bar)... and even then I was fine until 2.30pm. But I guess that how filling a food is always depends on the time of the month for me anyway...
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Ain't that the truth.

I actually find bagels quite filling, and they keep me full. I just tend not to eat a lot of them because I am the only one in the house who likes the type I eat so they often go bad before I finish the package as usually one every couple of days is more than enough for me.

Yeah we're all different. It's actually a decent snack if the filling is correct. I know as a grown *kitten* man 1 bagel isn't going to do anything for me unless I have at least 2 which then equates to 100g of carbs and for me I'd rather have 100g of carbs from potatoes or rice than bread. Much more satisfying.