Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I want a bagel now.

Me too... with cream cheese. Damn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a more balanced breakfast with cream cheese and lox. Yum!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, bagels are a heavy price to pay! I generally give them a wide berth; but our office has a fall and a spring busy season. Along with this comes Bagel Wednesday - early delivery of very nice, very big Kosher bagels for breakfast. I'm not about to miss out on that. I work from home on Wednesdays, but a co-worker saves a bagel for me for Thursdays. I plan out my day to take that into account.

I like bread - a bakery is one of my favorite food places to be, and I used to eat a lot of it. Now I portion things out so I can enjoy without going overboard. Plus, a judiciously-chosen bread can also give my fiber count a good lift.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Throw in a tomato slice and some red onion and you got yourself a goddam deal.

Hitting all the macros!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm in!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My Panera bagel this am was 81 grams carbs 420 calories So good after my huge PB&J sandwich plus I through on cream cheese for a whooping 1200 calories- So yes I think its Perfect
  • ejbronte
    Options

I'm in!

For your further pleasure:
    seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/pan-con-tomate-tomato-bread-spanish-recipe.html
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Mmmm tomato season here.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I bought some bagels at a local shop, weighed mine (egg bagel, 147g), then logged it... Using the MFP's generic 'egg bagel' entry... 409 calories.

Yikes.

Doesn't that sound a bit extreme for a bagel? It's not even that big! This is why I only eat them when I have a craving, I guess...

Looks like all bagels aren't created equal. Are you talking ready-to-eat with something already stuffed between it, or just the bagels in a package to take home and prepare.

The ones I'm familiar with are by Toufayan and only have 240 calories in regular bagels, and 100 calories in their "Smart Bagels".

Try weighing those Bagels and calculating the calories based on the grams rather than per bagel. You might be surprised. My experience, especially with Bagels as they are quite dense, is that the expected weight per Bagel is way off meaning those 240 calories are likely more per Bagel.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Try Lender's Whole Wheat Bagels. 78 to 87 g's (be sure to weigh, they vary, even in the same bag.) and are around 200 cal's at 81g's per the nutrition data on the bag.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would love a fresh doughy lightly toasted bagel with cream cheese right now.
    If only there was bagel delivery. Like pizzas being delivered but bagels instead.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    The ones I'm familiar with are by Toufayan and only have 240 calories in regular bagels, and 100 calories in their "Smart Bagels".

I eat a Toufayan bagel everyday and have lost almost 40lbs lol. I am obsessed with the everything bagels! And I use whipped cream cheese at 50 cals per 2 tbsp. The calories aren't horrible (and yes, I weigh everything!)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

I'm in!

So listen, I went to the store this morning for some nice ciabatta bread and I'm totally making this :lol::love: and having it with beer. Many thanks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's why bagels are the crappiest meal of all time...they're delicious but not really worth it...I'm always hungry about an hour later. I have one every once in awhile because I adore bagels and locks with cream cheese...but yeah, for the calories I could have something far more satisfying.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's why bagels are the crappiest meal of all time...they're delicious but not really worth it...I'm always hungry about an hour later. I have one every once in awhile because I adore bagels and locks with cream cheese...but yeah, for the calories I could have something far more satisfying.

I'll gladly take the calorie hit for an occasional jalapeño cheese bagel!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'll gladly take the calorie hit for an occasional jalapeño cheese bagel!

I pretty much only eat them when I'm camping...I also like bagels before a road race. I'm kind of boring, I like them plain jane with cream cheese. Though I do like the green chile ones they make here locally in New Mexico.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

I'm in!

So listen, I went to the store this morning for some nice ciabatta bread and I'm totally making this :lol::love: and having it with beer. Many thanks.

My pleasure! Last year, in Spain, our cousin quickly whipped this together at the breakfast table. My sister says she's never looking at toast the same way again.