Banana's, Good or Bad?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    chapiano wrote: »
    Ha, no I was not suggesting replacing a banana for a mars bar! More that there maybe better fruit options than a banana.

The info I stated on a banana was gathered here;
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268734435

Finally (in my opinion) sugar is a major cause for obesity and the more you can cut out the better

Only if the sugar makes you eat more calories than you burn.

I like bananas. I like chocolate. There are days when I eat both of them.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Bananas are awesome pre-workout. Not to mention potassium, which you won't find in that Mars bar.

Quite similar Potassium values per 100g:

3chi54amebxy.gif

Well I'll be damned... :joy:
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Bananas are awesome pre-workout. Not to mention potassium, which you won't find in that Mars bar.

3chi54amebxy.gif

Wow I didn't know that. I hope you're just proving your point on potassium rather than advocating substituting them.
  • misdawn
    misdawn Posts: 11 Member
    Good for sure!! I eat tons of bananas!!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Lost 55 pounds eating a banana or more daily. What'd you ask?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    An average Banana contains around 150 cal and about 30g of sugar (which is the same that's in an average sized mars bar) It doubles the sugar and cal that you find in most other fruits portions.

I usually buy smaller bananas. They are about 90 calories (150 seems like a pretty big one) and 12 grams of sugar. Fruits that I get that often have that much or more sugar in a single fruit or normal-seeming serving are peaches, pears, and melons, among others. Bananas do tend to have slightly more calories on average (the peach with a similar amount of sugar had significantly fewer calories, whereas the pear had more calories but also more sugar and a lot more grams).

Anyway, I don't get why bananas seem to be this hot button thing, either loved or feared. I like them, eat them occasionally (more in the winter when they aren't competing with other fruits I prefer), and for me they are filling for the calories and quite convenient, especially before or after a good long workout. Would I base my diet on them? No, that seems silly to me.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yes I understand that if you eat more than you consume then you gain weight and vice a versa!! Simple fact is a lot of people, particularly children gain weight by over eating a diet far to high in sugar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    An average Banana contains around 150 cal and about 30g of sugar (which is the same that's in an average sized mars bar) It doubles the sugar and cal that you find in most other fruits portions.
    So what?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Bananas are not good or bad, they are bananas. If it fits in your day calorie and macro-wise, go to town.
    Bravo!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    olymp1a wrote: »
    Bananas are just bananas.

Well, sometimes a banana is just a banana. Back in the dark ages when I was in college they were used by peer health for certain sorts of how-to demonstrations. Maybe that's why all the mystique and the overestimation of their size? Hmm.

I...
    Um...
    OK, then.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member

And?

They taste good and are nutritious. I have a small one, about 90kcal worth, on my muesli or porridge, in the morning. If I go over my calorie allowance on any given day, it's not the banana that's the culprit!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member

3chi54amebxy.gif

Wow I didn't know that. I hope you're just proving your point on potassium rather than advocating substituting them.

Nah, just pointing out that they have Potassium. If you were to substitute as a method of getting more potassium, you'd have to deal with (among other things) an additional 378 cals!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member

I eat three bananas every day, and oh, by the way, you die without sugar.
    Were you aware of this? Yes, too much is bad just like too much sun is bad, but try living without the sun... :p
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    And now I'm craving a Mars bar. Good thing I'm on the bus home from the shops because they're always best left as a craving because the reality is always such a disappointment.