I *love* riding a bike

Options

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    I've cached water before. Easier way is to use frozen double zip locks and refill your bottles. Then you just take the empty bags and don't have to circle back.

You just saved me from driving 50 miles I really didn't want to. My plan after finishing was to go back to the hotel and sit in the hot tub with Beth. And you just clued me in on how to make that possible.

If you're ever in Seattle I owe you dinner or something.

Dinner and a bike ride and you're on! Enjoy the epic ride and the hot tub with your honey :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great thread with nice pictures. I'll ride anything - just about. My preference these days is for a mountain bike and a road bike which I love to get annual miles on both.

This year, bikes have taken me to Utah, California, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Italy!

And the year isn't over yet!!!!

28736129301_98d2e29052_c.jpg

28273931356_990845c4ef_c.jpg

25941393544_e3434577f5_c.jpg

26174897182_351d9f854b_c.jpg

25645477710_686e4813d9_c.jpg

25539250352_2dbb1f15a1_c.jpg

24943315844_2554a51eb1_c.jpg

29426348006_995e39bcdc_c.jpg

RIDE on, but be safe out there!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    9bapqz8kw5r2.jpg
    Stevenson Bridge Rd, Winters, CA

2yz357ieyy1v.jpeg
    Napa, CA

93pq54p61o6p.jpeg
    Camp Far West, CA

duiyadleje1q.jpeg
    q8ma5sxy3ae8.jpg
    Iowa Hill, CA

a0xaeeww6cad.jpg
    Current ride
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Noel this is a beautiful Felt... I just beg you to please tidy the cables :s
    I keep trying and failing. The combination of how the cables route into the frame and the stem/bar position makes it seemingly impossible to find a good route where the cables aren't bent so badly they bind. I love this frameset but I wish they'd routed the cables into the top tube a different way.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options

I've thought about mounting my light under the bars like that but it seems like it would be awkward somehow. So, how does it work for you in real life?

I have 2 sets DiNotte lights mounted under the bars. They work awesome. My lights are insanely daylight-bright. Have received many compliments from drivers & cyclists alike. Highly recommend.

• allaboutthecake
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Nope, though I usually only slap my cam (a Garmin VIRB, in my case) on during special events and/or races, for example:

Am looking to replace my Fly6 that's under my seatpost. its only 2yr/o but I have to baby it to get the camera charged up and whereas I could go 6hr w/o recharge, now the battery is dead at 2hr. So how do you like the VIRB? How long does it last to record high def?

• allaboutthecake
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I'm a total noob when it comes to bike accessories. I don't use a helmet, padded shorts (or any cycling clothes for that matter), or any bike attachments such as water bottle holders, lights, etc.

What accessories would you recommend for the bike itself. I don't like adding weighted accessories because I like to have the light weight to fling the bike around obstacles. Maybe just a phone clip on the handle bar or a light clip.

A brain bucket. Geez. Go get one. :) Water bottle for you to hydrate. Wear high viz clothing so you can be seen.

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Took my Fixed Gear bike out for her maiden voyage on a trip of distance. 26 and change miles. . . set 14 personal records on Strava... and honestly didn't have any segments pushed my Garmin 520, I wasn't even trying... One of these days I might have to go out, with them loaded and push for the gold.....

p0cjvs6e3fgj.jpeg
    f17idgaj6ii0.jpg
    d6af908u698g.jpg
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Do you guys download Strava on your Garmin? Last time I had my navigation enabled on my phone so I can use GPS and Strava, it drained my entire battery in the length of a 40 mile ride. I'm guessing it was strava killing it as I normally can go 2 full days without charging it, and that was the first time I had attempted to use it. I might need to get a smart device to handle the GPS and Strava, or else one of those mobile battery packs that act as a charger.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a quality Garmin bike computer for a couple hundred bucks or less. These are GPS enabled and have tons of different settings and options to play with depending on models.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    Do you guys download Strava on your Garmin? Last time I had my navigation enabled on my phone so I can use GPS and Strava, it drained my entire battery in the length of a 40 mile ride. I'm guessing it was strava killing it as I normally can go 2 full days without charging it, and that was the first time I had attempted to use it. I might need to get a smart device to handle the GPS and Strava, or else one of those mobile battery packs that act as a charger.

Certain Garmin devices allow you to star Segments on Strava's website and sync those Segments to your Garmin so when you get close to them you'll get a little reminder and KOM position on your screen. It'll tell you Fill_in_the_Blank Segment is coming up in x feet/meters. And during that segment it'll tell you if you're ahead or behind on that segment. If I remember correctly the only to Garmin's to do it are the 520 & 820.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Red hydraulic brake hose should arrive today. :smile:
  • 88Rian
    88Rian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Love riding.uqbtialeqvsb.jpeg
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Both my coworker and my wife's old boss have invited me to go mountain biking and drinking with them. They both have amazing multi thousand dollar dual suspension machines. I have a 15 year old Mongoose Pro series hardtail bike with cords on the dry rotted tires showing, and not able to shift into 1/2 of the gears. I think its time to upgrade.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I'd love to have a MTB. Don't know if I ever will. They're illegal on all of the trails anywhere near me. There's a park just outside the city with an MTB area, but it's a park in a city, it's not the mountains. Get out to the mountains, and I have to drive 2 hours for the nearest trail system I could explore on two wheels. So I just rent them when I go out there.

This was the Cutthroat Pass trail.

21854266702_09732ddbb0_o_d.jpg

21245127973_e9710b1365_o_d.jpg

Those trees are going to turn gold again before long.

This was Sun Mountain.

21306448311_09f2196a0e_o_d.jpg

21110447198_d5a1ac3b2c_o_d.jpg
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    MTB is where I got my love for cycling I have a Specialized Pitch 650b. Upgraded the group set from a Shimano/SunTour special it a Sram GX 2x10. I'm slower than a flock of turtles stampeding through peanut butter on but I love riding it. I'm thinking next year will be the time to upgrade the fork on it and possibly the wheelset. I'm currently throwing my little bit of play money at my Road Bike and moving from a Shimano grouppo to a Sram system....

Living in the Miami Valley, we have several trail systems around. I can think of 5 trails off the top of my head. Most of our is Single Track style riding so the XC style set up suits me much better than a full suspension All Mountain style bike.

kbgezls1jdm0.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    One of my goals this year was to ride the Angels Staircase loop. I still have time but I'm not sure if it'll be possible or not. I don't even know how to judge whether I'm ready for it. Will it be too strenuous for me? Will I have enough skill handling an MTB? Cutthroat Pass was also listed as "advanced" and that was fine in terms of skills. Also, the trail is maybe a 5 hour drive, that means a couple nights in a hotel, and Beth's work schedule isn't very accommodating right now.

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5183409
    http://rideviciouscycle.com/angels-staircase/
    https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/angels-staircase

7005331_medium_6f13ca1442448039.jpg

jakes-phone-086-580x435.jpg
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was taking it easy tonight so did for once stop and take a picture of my Roubaix:
    large.jpg
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Nope, though I usually only slap my cam (a Garmin VIRB, in my case) on during special events and/or races, for example:

Am looking to replace my Fly6 that's under my seatpost. its only 2yr/o but I have to baby it to get the camera charged up and whereas I could go 6hr w/o recharge, now the battery is dead at 2hr. So how do you like the VIRB? How long does it last to record high def?

My understanding is the Fly6 and the VIRB aren't exactly designed for the same thing. Isn't the Fly6 a "looping" camera that's mostly designed to catch any crashes that happer?

At any rate, my VIRB will go a bit over 2 hours before having to swap batteries. It's a first-gen VIRB but I like it a lot. For what I use it for, i.e. mostly recording during various races, it works great.
  • allaboutthecake
    Options

My understanding is the Fly6 and the VIRB aren't exactly designed for the same thing. Isn't the Fly6 a "looping" camera that's mostly designed to catch any crashes that happer?

At any rate, my VIRB will go a bit over 2 hours before having to swap batteries. It's a first-gen VIRB but I like it a lot. For what I use it for, i.e. mostly recording during various races, it works great.

Thanks for answering. Yes the Fly6 is looping & mainly Insurance. I have a GoPro on the helmet, its a PITA cuz eats batteries like no tomorrow so will go thru 4-5 in a ride. It also doesn't get along well with humidity but I've learned to look for signals. As for the VIRB, I think I'd get sick of changing the seatpost cam batteries, too.

(I was on the receiving end of a solid right-hook, hence the cameras.)