Do you really only have one "soulmate"?

Options

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree with the concept of a "soulmate". I do believe there are multiple people out there someone can connect with on a deep and spiritual level though
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Yes it is possible to have a soulmate .
    But you got to put the effort in to keep the romance alive .
    When one person stops putting their best foot forward , things fall apart .
    When one person , does not want to go for walks together , go on vacation together , go to the movies together , go to the pub together , etc etc etc it will fall apart .
    If you like lying under the stars at night , walking the beach , going away on a camping weekend , having a bbq , do not enter a relationship or get married to someone that wants to sit around all day watching Dr Phil .
    Like attracts like .
    Makes no difference if they are the best piece of *kitten* you ever tapped , ye have nothing in common to begin with .
    Marry like minded people . It will be alot easier and alot more fun .
    You can find someone like that, but what if you're not attracted to them? How then could they be your "soulmate"? And having to put in effort, would that mean changing some of who you really are? In other words conforming. If one has to conform to fit another's idea of acceptance, then are they really "soulmates"?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    We are bound to others, past and present for a reason.

If just one person on this thread, who hasn't seen this movie, watches it. I promise you, it will effect your thoughts on this subject. You might not think the same afterwards. Not just your spouses soul being a soulmate, but many people in your current life are soulmates of yours, for longer than you think.
    Heres the trailer.
    https://youtu.be/hWnAqFyaQ5s
    Not a movie for me. I'm not big into "souls" (Atheist) and believe that once you're dead, you're dead. Emotions and feelings are dictated by experiences and chemical reactions, and don't believe they can be replicated over and over again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Yes it is possible to have a soulmate .
    But you got to put the effort in to keep the romance alive .
    When one person stops putting their best foot forward , things fall apart .
    When one person , does not want to go for walks together , go on vacation together , go to the movies together , go to the pub together , etc etc etc it will fall apart .
    If you like lying under the stars at night , walking the beach , going away on a camping weekend , having a bbq , do not enter a relationship or get married to someone that wants to sit around all day watching Dr Phil .
    Like attracts like .
    Makes no difference if they are the best piece of *kitten* you ever tapped , ye have nothing in common to begin with .
    Marry like minded people . It will be alot easier and alot more fun .
    You can find someone like that, but what if you're not attracted to them? How then could they be your "soulmate"? And having to put in effort, would that mean changing some of who you really are? In other words conforming. If one has to conform to fit another's idea of acceptance, then are they really "soulmates"?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, I think you need both. Attraction and similar interests and continuing to keep up with it (not just give up on life and work and watch tv or something).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    We are bound to others, past and present for a reason.

If just one person on this thread, who hasn't seen this movie, watches it. I promise you, it will effect your thoughts on this subject. You might not think the same afterwards. Not just your spouses soul being a soulmate, but many people in your current life are soulmates of yours, for longer than you think.
    Heres the trailer.
    https://youtu.be/hWnAqFyaQ5s
    Not a movie for me. I'm not big into "souls" (Atheist) and believe that once you're dead, you're dead. Emotions and feelings are dictated by experiences and chemical reactions, and don't believe they can be replicated over and over again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I understand. I'm an atheist also. But, I do think we have connections with people that lead to these wonderful feelings that people label as spiritual.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid term. I call my husband my twin, because we are so eerily similar snd often say/think the same thing at the same time. And he is my Anam Cara - but should he pass before me, as long as I'm young enough, I believe I could find this intense live again.
  • Muppyooh
    Muppyooh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used to believe in soul mates. I don't anymore.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm very happily married and my answer to this is a resounding LOL no.

Most all relationships are out of comfort combined with convenience, and individuals with enough in common or that complement each other enough to put up with each other for as long as possible.

If I hadn't met my wife, I'd have found someone else that worked out or kept trying.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with timing.
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No. Even the notion of love to me is just an abstract concept.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh Boy. If you don't believe that each person has a soul. Then I guess your Thread about "Soulmates" is just to debate your non belief in having a soul to begin with.
    Nevermind then.
    Nope, it's to discuss whether or not people are really just "meant" for one person in the world. The "soulmate" is just terminology used to describe that. I don't care that people believe if people have souls or not. I do believe that people change. I've seen some of the kindest people I've ever met, then possibly something tragic changes who they used to be and now they are callous and distant from being kind. Or sweet loving little kid, who's environment changes and they are no longer that sweet. "Souls" have nothing to do with that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    KiwiLifter wrote: »
    I'm iffy on that. I think people can truly love their children more than they can love a spouse. It's not unheard of a spouse murdering another spouse for greed or to get out of a relationship. It's rarer for someone to murder their child for the same reason.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with others that God, spirituality, a soul, or any other religious concept isn't necessary for a deep connection with another person. I think one of the areas where religion can actually be quite damaging is in its interpretation of human behavior, desires, and needs. I think it's better to respect science generally and evidence-based psychology specifically in these areas of inquiry. We still have much to learn and it's better to look forward. I think it's possible to separate beliefs from scientific inquiry.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm iffy on that. I think people can truly love their children more than they can love a spouse. It's not unheard of a spouse murdering another spouse for greed or to get out of a relationship. It's rarer for someone to murder their child for the same reason.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The tension between the need for group survival and our strong desire for individual survival is clear, but I think claims that altruism or love don't exist are clearly dispelled at the 101 level. There are far too many counter examples of parents, other family members, and soldiers in combat putting their lives at risk and going so far as to voluntarily sacrifice their lives. One has to start bending the definitions to extremes to make such claims.
  • Icheatonmywife
    Icheatonmywife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    no... no... an no..... we are not made to be monogamous, but through traditions and religion have been constrained to the acceptable social norm.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    no... no... an no..... we are not made to be monogamous, but through traditions and religion have been constrained to the acceptable social norm.
    People tend to forget that we're just another animal species on this planet. We're smarter by a land slide and well more advanced, but standard instincts are still that of many other animals. We protect our young and will still fight over territory and for our family/relatives, as well as close friends.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think your children are part of you. They are part of your soul from the moment they are born. From a biological point of view, our purpose is to pass on our genes so the love you have for your children is very different than the love you have for another adult. That's a much more tenuous connection. Arguably the concept of a soul mate is purely there to make us pair up and have children.