No laughing please!!

Options
13»

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to lose weight, you need to be consistent counting calories and not over-indulging. That is what brings weight loss.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thanks for your support everyone. I broke the number 1 rule last night and pushed myself too hard. I managed 2.6 miles in 27 minutes but today my right ankle and knee are killing me......you live and learn I guess!!
  • jdawson002
    Options
    and before anyone says....yes I feel like an idiot for injuring myself!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    thanks for your support everyone. I broke the number 1 rule last night and pushed myself too hard. I managed 2.6 miles in 27 minutes but today my right ankle and knee are killing me......you live and learn I guess!!

I'm glad you came back and posted, perhaps you will help someone else. My joints and tendons can never keep up with my muscles and lung capacity, and enthusiasm. The trick is to channel that enthusiasm into a smart, slow ramp and to choose more than one exercise, especially once you are injured. Rowing, cycling, swimming etc. Good luck!

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I want to run 1.5 miles in under 15 minutes for the Air Force fitness test I'm working towards and sometimes it feels like an impossible goal. So good job.
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's a good time for someone that's just started. Just slowly build it up.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Ice your knee and ankle and stay off it for a day or two. Give it time to heal up and just walk a bit for a few days if it starts feeling better. Follow the C25K program getting back into it and build yourself up slowly but surely. If you do you will be running a good amount in just a few weeks and should greatly reduce your injury risk.
  • jdawson002
    Options
    my endurance told me to keep going as I didn't find myself struggling but obviously my leg had other ideas!!

definitely taking it slow from now on....gutted I can't go to the gym for a few days or so.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    and before anyone says....yes I feel like an idiot for injuring myself!!

Most people have been there.

Sometimes it's the best thing. I had to withdraw from a marathon earlier in the year because of calf strain and the impact on my training. Many others have had similar experiences.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to exercise and yesterday I managed to jog 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.....no laughing please!!!

Anyway it got me thinking, as I'm solely trying to lose weight, should I be looking to jog faster or to jog further? or both?

Thanks

I just finished C25K, and I run a mile in about 11 minutes at this point. So you're running faster than I am. So I'm pretty offended. If you think your rate might be "funny," what do you think of mine? Wanna fight?
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to exercise and yesterday I managed to jog 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.....no laughing please!!!

Anyway it got me thinking, as I'm solely trying to lose weight, should I be looking to jog faster or to jog further? or both?

Thanks

You should be looking to lift weights and quit jogging all together

I'm glad somebody else thinks this too.

Wanna run? fine... make it HIIT training.

Losing weight? It's all ( okay, 90%) about diet. (imho)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    also.. for a beginner and a fairly large guy, your times are just fine; nobody would laugh at you.

re5pext
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just start, lets say jogging ( very very veryyyyyyyy slow) and I can hardly jog for 5 minutes :(
    you re doing great, keep going...!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i think thats great, i started doing couch to 5k and could barely do th 90 seconds jog.

which is laughable seeing as my walking pace is my husbands jog lol so why i can walk so quickly yet cant run is beyond me