WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Just heard Bea's baptism date in October. I've offered to make a two tiered cake similar to the ones I made for the other two grandchildren. I hope they accept the offer. <3

Now to write.

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    morning ladies~
    wow was i tired 9 1/2 hrs sleep.. and had windows open.. only in the 40s this morning :open_mouth:
    Ok so here is the story... we had a patient come in to adjust a denture.. not a reliable patient and he is probably my age or close to it, any way i was only assistant on yesterday so I go to get patient and he is just blotto, out!!! I had to shake him awake, and he could barely walk.. so without calling the police we devised a plan...after the denture adjustment ,told him we were worried and calling a cab.. but he still had his keys and went out to his car. so I went out, he was passed out in car with cigarette lit on the seat(shaking head)so I told him please turn off your car and the cab will be here in a little bit, and I asked for the keys which he gave me and then he passed out in the car again, well we paid for his cab(the office) and we had him taken to the address we had in our computer.. which the cab driver called and said isnt the correct address, but i guess they knew where he lived, so we were going to pay for cab driver to take him again from one side of the town to the other, but momma came to the rescue and paid for that ride... he wasn't drunk he was on type of drug. but his car is locked up and in our parking lot, and we are off today so he we have to pick it up tomorrow.. if he remembers where he parked the car !!!!
    so that was the excitement for the day.. and it was me, who did most of the work.... lol had to hold him up to get him to the cab
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! I have been reading while eating my breakfast. Two eggs, Ez bread toasted, and cottage cheese. And of course, we can't forget the coffee!
    Purl- So sorry to hear about your fall! Get some rest; I hope you feel better soon!
    Janet- Love the pics of the Wilder homes. I recognized them immediately from the pictures I have seen and from reading her later books so often. Thank you for posting! Did they talk at all about her daughter Rose? Did you know that Rose, herself, was a well known journalist and foreign correspondent? She was a world traveling career woman, before it was popular for women to hold that type of job. Some say she was a bit upset, that she worked so hard in journalism, and ended up being upstaged by her mother's writings. I think if Rose had been born in a later decade, she would have received the recognition she deserved and wanted.
    Allie- Good for you! Taking care of that gentleman! Wow! Medications can be so powerful!
    Marcelyn- So sorry to hear of your friend's daughter! So unexpected! Thoughts and prayers going out to them and to you as you travel to the funeral. Good news, though, about the granuloma! What a relief, huh?
    Heather- Happy Bea! Love her sweet face! Six months did go fast. She was born shortly after I arrived on this site. Always fun to hear about her and her siblings!
    NYKAREN- What a wonderful thing you are doing with your DH! You are stepping out of your comfort zone, and that can be a difficult and frightening thing. Have you ever traveled outside of our country? Perhaps if you tried an English speaking country that is similar to our own (culturally) it might be a good first step?
    Lisa- always good to hear from you! Glad work is just chugging along fine! It can be boring, but boring is not necessarily a bad thing, right?
    Pip- I just smile every time I see you post (with no comment), because I can't help thinking you like to just see yourself smiling back at you! LOve, love, LOVE that profile pic!

Love and hugs to all who need them! Welcome new girls!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Who was it that was having issues with Icy Hot? Have you tried Biofreeze? My dh swears by this stuff and he has tried everything to help with his RA and chronic back pain. I will also swear by Biofreeze because it cut his pissing and moaning WAY down!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    yo peeps
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    NYKaren I am always ambivalent about traveling, too, but have enjoyed every trip but one. I took an ill-planned trip to Italy that was more PIA than fun. It wasn't Italy's fault. I have been a few places outside the USA: France/Germany/Luxembourg, England/Wales, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ecuador/Galapagos, and Italy. Our travel agent thinks the best "first trips" are to places like England, Ireland, Wales, and Canada because the languages, logistics, and cultures are easier to navigate than some other places. Good for you for taking the plunge. My advice: take less stuff than you think you need. Last time I went somewhere, it was cold so I took my Macabi skirt, 2 sets of base layers, 3 quick drying tops, a coat that packed well (in a space bag), gloves/hat, one "nice" outfit just in case, socks, and 2 pairs of shoes, minimal toiletries, a travel bottle of Dr. Bronners peppermint soap, a little clothes line, my phone, adapter, travel pillow, and sunglasses. That was for a 12 day trip. I used space bags and packing cubes. It made it so much easier not to have too much stuff. I hope you have as much fun as we did. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
    petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Started a bunch of notes yesterday, got sucked in a rotten day at work and went home with a headache. But I put on the shoes and went for my walk and ended up with 12k steps and 58 min activity. And the headache was gone. But ever since I got off my butt and got moving I am having trouble sleeping. Was awake 3 times last night and awake for good at 3. Laid there 'til 4:30 and then got up and put in 30 min on rower. Anybody else ever have this issue?

So lost track of my notes-didn't get them saved so don't know where I was. Just a couple I remember...

Pip- You are beautiful!!!

Becca- Love the idea of the tree with the apples and worms. Sorry your son will probably not make it.. :( Please know that he and your family have my utmost gratitude for your sacrifies for our Country. We don't say it often enough.

Have to run.... New job responsibilities. I will explain later... :/

Tracey- learning balance in PA
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    PS- Purl- So sorry about the accident. Loved the part about a 'cervical sprain'... LOL

To All riders out there PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL! As a motorcyclist I know all about the hidden dangers that can be encountered.... We want/need you here!

Tracey
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla wroteJanetR: I'm so glad you shared the Ingalls-Wilder homes photos. I loved the Little House on the Prairie books. I had no idea their homes were so lovely. I have the mental picture from the TV series getting in the way of reality. Thanks.

Im so sorry, I should have been more specific. These two houses were Laura and her husband's after their daughter was born. They lived in a little one room cabin when they first came to Missouri and definitely her chilhood homes during the "Little House" days were very humble cabins.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Heather- thanks for sharing the Beautiful picture of Bea! She is such a happy child!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Who was it that was having issues with Icy Hot? Have you tried Biofreeze? My dh swears by this stuff and he has tried everything to help with his RA and chronic back pain. I will also swear by Biofreeze because it cut his pissing and moaning WAY down!

I use biofreeze and swear by it too
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJ - yes there was a lot of information on Rose too. Laura did not write much until Rose encouraged het to write down the stories of her childhood. Rose paid for the Rock House to be built. She purchased the Plans from Sears Roebuck. There were letters to Rose, who was in San Francisco at the time, from Laura telling Rose what she wanted Rose to do with her jewelry and fine cina, etc upon her death. A lot of her possessions were displayed in the museum.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! I have been reading while eating my breakfast. Two eggs, Ez bread toasted, and cottage cheese. And of course, we can't forget the coffee!
    Purl- So sorry to hear about your fall! Get some rest; I hope you feel better soon!
    Janet- Love the pics of the Wilder homes. I recognized them immediately from the pictures I have seen and from reading her later books so often. Thank you for posting! Did they talk at all about her daughter Rose? Did you know that Rose, herself, was a well known journalist and foreign correspondent? She was a world traveling career woman, before it was popular for women to hold that type of job. Some say she was a bit upset, that she worked so hard in journalism, and ended up being upstaged by her mother's writings. I think if Rose had been born in a later decade, she would have received the recognition she deserved and wanted.
    Allie- Good for you! Taking care of that gentleman! Wow! Medications can be so powerful!
    Marcelyn- So sorry to hear of your friend's daughter! So unexpected! Thoughts and prayers going out to them and to you as you travel to the funeral. Good news, though, about the granuloma! What a relief, huh?
    Heather- Happy Bea! Love her sweet face! Six months did go fast. She was born shortly after I arrived on this site. Always fun to hear about her and her siblings!
    NYKAREN- What a wonderful thing you are doing with your DH! You are stepping out of your comfort zone, and that can be a difficult and frightening thing. Have you ever traveled outside of our country? Perhaps if you tried an English speaking country that is similar to our own (culturally) it might be a good first step?
    Lisa- always good to hear from you! Glad work is just chugging along fine! It can be boring, but boring is not necessarily a bad thing, right?
    Pip- I just smile every time I see you post (with no comment), because I can't help thinking you like to just see yourself smiling back at you! LOve, love, LOVE that profile pic!

Love and hugs to all who need them! Welcome new girls!

It's like I'm lifting my leg like a dos and marking my spot. This way I know where I left off. Trust me, I DON'T like seeing myself but glad u like the pic
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Thanks frankiesgirl21! Purlu were wearing a helmet right?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Cheri--I am going to use your idea and set my phone so every hour I get up and do walking. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

You're very welcome. It has made a huge difference in my step count for the day. Having sedentary hobbies (reading, crafting, crocheting) I found myself getting lost in them and sitting for hours. My daughter, who has ADD, sets alarms for everything and it was her suggestion. After the alarm goes off I spin the hour ahead to the next one. Then I set the timer for 5 mins and get my walk on. My daughter and I are accountable to each other through text reminders and a couple phone walks we do together. She lives in Midlothian, VA. I typically strive for 80+% hourly activity of 250+ steps. This is outside of any gym work I may do for the day. I walk the loop in our home or I stand in place and walk trying to lift my knees up for some quad work too. Let's link up on Fitbit?! Gotta go my alarm just went off for the 9am steps event!

Cheri
    not feeling so great today but will soldier on in EastCentral TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Allie – I had a friend in HS whose father passed out; police thought he was drunk, he did not drink. His wife was called to tell her he was in the drunk tank. She went to station and asked to see him. They ended up calling the EMTs he was going into a diabetic coma. Had not been diagnosed as a diabetic until that time. Medications for diabetes can easily get whacked out if person eats the wrong type of food and doesn’t give the proper amount of insulin when needed. Maybe this was his problem; or maybe the drug he was on not the right amount for his body, or he was having some sort of reaction or something. Blood sugar up or down can mimic drunkenness. He ended up having to take shots every day.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Cheri- setting the alarm worked for me! I did it every hour too and I would get up and do a set of push-ups, squats, leg lifts and hula hoop.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 40
    Week two, day two of transitioning to the 40 pound kettle bell.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota