Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a size 6 to a size 16 to a size 10 (current size). No one has commented unless I bring it up first.

When I was at my heaviest two women asked me when I was due - THAT sucked. I gain all my weight like a guy - big old gut.

I guess you never know why someone has gained/lost weight. Medical issues, stress, etc. I would hate be like" OMG you lost 20 pounds and look great" when they were really sick with cancer, depression, etc. it's a weird conversation starter.
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    LOTS of people have had a really bad reaction to me losing weight! My partner says I am getting too skinny and I've had co workers , family and friends say I should stay the same weight I am now and stop losing anymore! It frustrates me because my goal weight is within healthy BMI and I have been losing weight the healthy way!(eating properly and through exercise!) I also want to have less fat and be more toned and strong so I can climb better yet so many people think I must be anorexic cause I want to lose weight! Ignorance is frustrating.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    NAP150 wrote: »
    Well I had another one tonight, I participate in a mainly mens sport and we had our league opener and I am seeing some people for the first time and got many nice compliments but then another guy asked as soon as I sat down to eat. So How much weight have you really lost....I think I was shocked so I said the amount but then felt weird afterwards,,,,I need a good line as I feel this is not the last time this will happen. Anyone have any ideas???

"A Lot, it has been QUITE the journey!" And then switch the subject to your latest fitness venture....

If you have more to lose, then "not enough". If you are goal then "just the right amount".

I've told my boss what I've lost, but that is a hell of a lot different than some random guy asking.

Agree with you all.. In my experience, people look at you funny and try to visualize where all those pounds were coming from.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Had to swing by an old office and my old boss saw me for the first time since I've lost the weight. She was legitimately concerned that I was sick and asked a few times if I was doing okay. (That's understandable considering a coworker of mine has been hospitalized for the last four months for diabetes-related issues.) I was both touched and annoyed by the attention.
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been sitting here reading the whole thread and have way too many thoughts so sorry in advance. I've lost a lot of weight and then put it all back on and now am finally (!) back in the right head space to get it off and keep it off. So, when I went from a 22W to a 14 (almost a 12) I was told at work by many women that I needed to stop. I'm very curvy so my goal of a 8 is perfectly reasonable (and actually I want to be a 6 since an 8 is much bigger than it used to be). They were adamant which is funny because nobody ever said I needed to stop when I was gaining weight!!!! Being a workplace (and that they reported eventually up to me) I stayed professional. Then the guys, nobody said anything directly to me. And I totally understand why. It's work. No matter how 'one of the guys' I am, it's still work. So I'd hear from coworkers that so and so mentioned you seemed happier with the weight loss or this person wanted to say something but didn't want to say it wrong. I understand they don't want to say or do the wrong thing either by HR standards or to hurt me. Others were just odd about it. I had guys literally do the up/down look and I have no idea how they think that's okay. Shouldn't the gym or health teacher teach guys in high school how to do it without being obvious? That should be a class. As for others, if a guy is with his wife or girlfriend and she's saying something he has no good option. He can ignore you or get killed by his wife, even if she is egging him on to agree with her. He cannot win.
    Now for the flip side. A coworker was ill and because of that purposely lost a lot of weight. It looked like too much and many of us worried. I was closest to him so people would come to me to ask about it. I finally ventured out to talk about his illness and did the doctor tell him to lose so much weight. He said yes, I said oh great, as long as you and your doctor are happy isn't that what matters.
    Oh, for people that say rude things in general, I either just stare back and let the awkward silence sit (make them break it) or for added fun, fake a HUGE yawn while they are talking and apologize with a 'sorry, you were saying'. :#
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Heydew wrote: »
    I always find it interesting when people react to your weight loss. Or when they offer you something to eat and you decline.

What are some of your experience with people's reactions? Have any good stories?

I have found personally when I went from 13.5st to 10.5 st -
    'You look ill'
    'You don't look well'
    'You're too skinny'
    Came from friends and family the compliments all came from the opposite sex or same sex in some instances :wink:

However now I've got to a stage in which I hate how I look again
    'You look well'

Seriously WTF?
    I was so fit at 10st7lbs, I was running marathons and was lean and I looked 'unwell'...
    Now at 12st11lbs, I struggle to get through a 5k in a respectable time and I apparently look 'well'?

How confused is society?

I know my target is now to get as lean and fit as I was just 4 years ago!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have had several random people (cashier at the pharmacy, etc.) tell me I'm "too thin now" or look "sick". I get a lot of snark for being low carb as well. Obesity being so normalized makes being a normal weight person frustrating sometimes -_-

You're so right!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I saw my extended family for the first time for Easter holidays and most of them were super supportive and kept saying how great I looked which was uncomfortable because I don't like being the center of attention.... but then of course my one cousin... she just had to make negative comments. It started out by asking me if I had gastric bypass. which no I did not and there's nothing wrong with people who go that route but the tone of her voice was very accusatory. Then after I told my aunt home much weight I've lost she said that "people who lose that much weight never look as good as they used to" again it was in her tone.

Her and I have never really gotten on much though. I feel like she's always making our relationship a competition and I'm literally never trying to compete with her. Never have, never will.

That's really the only super negative and kind of infuriating reaction I've gotten.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of the "wow!" and a double take which is nice
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    SoyD986 wrote: »
    This is a great post and helpful to me at 110 or so days in to my journey. I'm down about 30-32lbs from 240-210 on my 5'5" frame and about 1 size down that I've just started dressing for. I have literally had not one person comment, mention or say one word about my weight loss except someone asking (finally!) last week if I was losing weight and then walked away (I was like, couldn't a sister get a "you look good!"?). :p

I didn't start and I'm not doing this journey for others - but a little validation from someone, anyone, a high five, secret handshake, whatever would be great ... especially because right now I can't really see a difference and am still stuck on being +30lbs heavier than where I was when I started gaining like an animal. Le sigh. The struggle is real people.

Congrats on the results so far, great start! I started at 250lbs, and it was around 30lbs lost that people started to notice and conment. It'll probably start for you any time now. Don't worry if it doesn't, though. People are all different, and some don't feel comfortable talking about other people's weight. It is what it is; like you said, you are doing it for you, not them. Keep up the great work :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!