Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My family and friends ask "what's your secret" I say... I wish there was something magical I could tell you but nope. Calories in/out haha
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my best friend who has been my biggest support in my weight loss and when I told her I want to lose at least 10 more pounds she gave me my first" You will be too skinny" comment. I explained that I know what I look like and there are areas of my body that still need to lose and not to be worried and that as long as measurements go down I wont focus on the scale. I just think everyone was so used to seeing me 60 to 70 pounds overweight they really don't know what I would look like in great shape.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Years ago, there was a mixed bag of reaction with my starting to lose weight. Most people supported me but sometimes I'd get strange comments from acquaintances. At that time, the man in my life didn't like my changing weight. Apparently, this is not uncommon from what I've read. Some relationships fall apart when one person feels more empowered and loses weight. Thankfully, my ex and I parted ways and I have happily moved on.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think people become uncomfortable with your success. Lets be honest most people fail at weight loss, they never keep it off. So it's easy to think, ahhh he or she will soon give up and go back to no exercise and eating crap.

So when you get to year one, year two and they realise its a lifestyle change its becomes embarrassing to them but not to you. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyways's I've had the 'jeez don't lose any more' comment. The 'you look great but aren't you over doing it?'. << Think about that statement for a second (RME). And the - 'you better be careful else there'll be nothing left of you'.

To be fair, each to their own. I used to be 30 lbs heavier and never thought I had a problem. One day someone told me to change my LinkedIn picture cos the fat person no longer exists. Now that was a reaction I didn't mind.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife loves me at any size and shape, it seems. My loss has rubbed off on her a bit, as she's taken to exercising a little. There's more progress to be made, though.
    My adult children living with me don't praise and don't criticize. They both used MFP years before I learned about it. My old workplace noticed and several co-workers, men and women, started using MFP and counting their calories or trying something else to lose weight. It's working for several of them and for the one who spent money on a something else plan, it's not. My new workplace has no-one who has ever seen me obese, so I'm the skinny guy to them.
    My church folks have been very supportive of me.
    My cousins who saw me were pleased and supportive. The ones who asked about my goal were shocked and dismayed. I'm presently at a weight below that suggested by those cousins and my doctor.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    My trick is to find a new job after ever 40lbs lost to avoid the whole "your getting too skinny" comments. Luckily, during my loss of 100lbs, I just so happened to switch jobs at just the right time to avoid the comments.

The most annoying experience I had was having the same idiot commenting on my "diet" every day. He would ask "oh so are you still on your diet?" and I mean...its been 4 years! So I would often throw back a "depends what your definition of a diet is." and things would typically go down hill from there. It was just annoying constantly being asked the same thing and people calling it a "diet", when really I eat the exact same way as I always did, just a lot less (and I work out from time to time)

I can so relate to this, its called lifestyle! Great focus @dakotababy
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I assured them that if it doesn't look good I am well aware of how to gain some weight back LOL :P

I'm so stealing this line! Lol!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm presently at a weight below that suggested by those cousins and my doctor.

Yeah, I was very surprised the last time I was at the doctor. I had lost 20 pounds which landed me barely in "normal" BMI, finally. I expected some positive reinforcement but the nurse seemed concerned like maybe I was ill and that's why it happened; no other reaction. My doctor didn't say anything, even though the weight loss helped my blood pressure and migraines.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have to say i'm amazed at some of the comments people have gotten.
    Everyone has been really good about my weight loss. My colleagues were complimenting me while i was losing, and asked me what i was doing. I said calorie counting and they accepted that,no further questions. I had to stop working for 6 months,so when i came back i was almost done with losing weight and i had started running as exercise,and the difference in how i looked was quite big.
    Some people at first didn't recognize me, but everyone said i looked great. They were shocked in a good way. Then they asked me if i was still cal.counting and how much i had left to lose.They said that i shouldn't lose any more, 'cause i was getting too thin. They said it out of concern,not in a bad way, and they were right, i was starting to get too thin.
    They never comment in what i eat, and when colleagues bring sweets due to birthdays, etc. i always take one, even though i might not eat it there and then. It might have to do with the fact i live in europe and being thin is actually the norm.We also don't get bombarded much with magic pills and fad diets.In a couple of months i'll visit my family and i'll see what they have to say.

My experience has been pretty similar. I only had one comment from an older friend of the family (in her late 80s) last fall who said "you look great now, don't lose any more weight. You want some reserves for the winter". Other than that the comments have been positive or non-existent. Some surprised, some complements, some "I wish (X) would go on your diet".

Zero comments about my food and eating, but my social eating is not very different from the way I used to socially eat before, so nothing stands out. Funny enough, I do get comments about not eating meat. People who have known me for 35 years but still ask me "why aren't you eating any meat?" EVERY SINGLE TIME. Well, you know I don't like meat. What's worse is when they start feeling guilty that they haven't cooked something for me specifically. Seriously, stop, There is plenty of food and it's all delicious. That's how I've always happily eaten and even my family did not have put in extra effort to accommodate me. It's as simple as not putting meat on my plate or just pushing it aside. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that culturally meat is usually the centerpiece of celebrations and a token of hospitality. Ah well, sorry for the unrelated tangent.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Someone recently asked if I was sure my seven month old was mine because "there is no way I've lost that much weight and had a baby too".

Erm. My csection scar says yes, I had a baby seven months ago and yes, I have worked daily for the last six months to lose the weight and the baby is helping.

Got to love those hidden compliments or is it hidden insults? Both? Yep.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Judikim118 wrote: »
    kxrwqssbldiq.jpg

<3
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like the questions.....oooo WHO U LOSING WEIGHT FOR?
    WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS? WHAT ARE YOU TAKING? UGHHH :s:s
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've had almost 100% positive feedback. I overall feel very supported and I never have people offer me food or push food on me. If anything, it's the opposite! My office is so cool with it and when the guys who work at store across the street from my job asked me how I lost so much weight, they started weighing my fruit for me without me asking!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!