Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    My trick is to find a new job after ever 40lbs lost to avoid the whole "your getting too skinny" comments. Luckily, during my loss of 100lbs, I just so happened to switch jobs at just the right time to avoid the comments.

The most annoying experience I had was having the same idiot commenting on my "diet" every day. He would ask "oh so are you still on your diet?" and I mean...its been 4 years! So I would often throw back a "depends what your definition of a diet is." and things would typically go down hill from there. It was just annoying constantly being asked the same thing and people calling it a "diet", when really I eat the exact same way as I always did, just a lot less (and I work out from time to time)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    ericatoday wrote: »
    My family tells me to stop losing weight because im going to start looking sick im 5'7" and 135lbs i still have lots of jiggle because im not toned and i still have thick thighs. But my whole family is obese so idk of theyre jealous or just use to fat family. Or i hate when people ask how i did it then they say thats too much work.

I realized some time ago that most people do not really want to hear the truth. So now when someone asks how I did it I just smile and normally they will just keep talking. I get the skinny comment from family and friends, which always makes me giggle. I am a size18/20, 22/24 so I am nowhere nears skinny, but like someone else said coming from the size I am I guess I would be considered skinny.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I've had relatively few comments on my 100 lb weight loss over the past year. But I simply believe that the people in my life are polite! I also had, thankfully, very few comments on my rather precipitous weight GAIN the year before! (My husband had a bad stroke and the anxiety took its toll.) Either way, it's MY journey and MY body - I'm grateful that most people in my life keep their opinions about my physical shape to themselves.

I think people can tell whether you are comfortable discussing your weight or weight loss. I think it is great that your friends and family respect your boundaries. It does not bother me either way if people comment or not. For instance I know two sisters that I have known for years. One sister comments all the time about how good I look and the other sister never comments at all. I have lost over 180 lbs so there is no way that it is not noticeable. It is just interesting how others react to the weight loss. I have had people also ask if I am trying to lose weight. How much more do I want to lose? A few people say oh you must have a man now, as if I could not have had one when I was bigger...
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    OMG you use to be huge, You've lost a ton of weight. How much weight have you lost ? Did you lose like 200 pounds ? (when I lost 40) Are you doing drugs ? I've heard many rude comments. Although, not for a few years now. I lost most of my weight in 2011. I'm still trying to get rid of this last 20 ish pounds. I'm never shocked at the insensitive stuff people say.

9215309.png
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    One thing in the back of my mind when people don't comment, is it may be hard to get excited about someone losing weight if they fear I will gain it back once I'm done. I see my dad weekly and, while he had commented in the past when I was obese, not a word from him about the weight I've lost. I don't need to bring it up with him, but I think he's just worried to say something and then a year from now I've gained it back.

Might be more my fears coming through. Not sure.

YES - I agree. I know my Mom was all in a lather when I went to her house to visit in October. I was lighter than I had been 30 years ago, and significantly smaller than I think she expected me to be... she was happy, she was impressed - but she was all over me about not making our visit a "food fest" as she didn't want me to lose ground on all the work I had done.

I had to reassure her that I was still doing my thing - even while I was at her house...

She calmed down a little, when she saw that we were going to the gym every day for an hour. I could have eaten any darned thing I wanted on that trip... lol.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    From people at work, I get the sense they want me to fail. It's a socially competitive work environment and I'm in management, so people already don't like me lol.

From family, I get nothing but support and cheering on.

From friends, it's a mixture of the two!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    Mostly really positive. Just yesterday I had someone ask me if I had lost weight and couldn't stop telling me how amazing I looked and how much younger I looked. I get a lot of 'you look amazing' comments. I also have been called 'skinny minny' and told 'you are wasting away'... all by a very lovely lady at work who I believe means well.

People get funny when I tell them I count calories (after they ask)! It seems that many people see it as extreme. I see it in the face when I tell people, the face changes and they often follow up with 'I could never do that'. They seem to want a difference answer. Or sometimes I get people questioning what I eat, I count calories so I can eat it! They think I should only eat 'whole/health' foods if I am trying t lose weight (often larger themselves). Mostly really positive though!

Had the the same experience as far as telling people how I lost the weight. They can't believe it's as simple as counting calories. What you have to remember is that people have been conditioned by media so much that there's a magic pill or you gotta buy a machine to lose the weight that they don't understand simple calories in calories out. When I tell him I still have beers on the beach pizza and Wendy's hamburgers they don't believe me. We know it's the secret as long as you're in your calorie limit you're fine.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Apparently you have to be heavier to log calories/macros and watch what you eat or else you're selfobessed and vain...at least to my family and friends. I get unhealthy food pushed on me all the time. And forbid I want to workout instead of last minute plans...I'm expected to cancel since I don't really need to workout. "Why do you diet/workout so much/limit yourself when you're already thin" " you don't need to ____" "youre crazy to want to lose weight" "you're already good enough stop obessing/being vain". Then there's going out to eat...ugh ok yes I eat healthy stop bothering me and recommending fried food. No I'm not wanting 4 drinks alcohol has calories. And since progress is slow during recomps I don't get the congrats you're doing so well compliments. Or any compliments on progress ever. People just question me when it comes to diet and fitness. It crushes motivation :(
  • hmhall85
    hmhall85 Posts: 22 Member
    "You don't look good/healthy." I I had a nickel for every time I hear this, I would have a lot of nickels.
  • JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have had several random people (cashier at the pharmacy, etc.) tell me I'm "too thin now" or look "sick". I get a lot of snark for being low carb as well. Obesity being so normalized makes being a normal weight person frustrating sometimes -_-

wow. insecure people trying to sabotage you. you look great!
  • I have had several different reactions:

The good

I had the principle at my kids school jaw drop. She was like wow you have lost weight. Then asked how I done it. I have had the you look good. You are doing awesome. I had one lady said I was and inspiration and motivator.

The bad.

My sister in law told people I was on drugs. I had one friend who was older go from complementary to creepy in like five seconds. He did that up and down long look that freaks you out. It was very uncomfortable. I haven't been back over there since.

Ugh, the up and down look. I know the one.
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Everyone has been super supportive and kind. I really appreciate it. I never know when to comment on someone's weight, though. For example, there's a woman in my office who was never heavy but who has clearly lost quite a bit over the last few months. She looks fantastic. I always mean to tell her so, but it never feels like the right time. So I think that probably more people notice than will ever comment.
  • jatdh1753
    jatdh1753 Posts: 43 Member
    For the most part everyone was great. Either they were just like, damn you look great, or they were just happy I was leaving more donuts for them. :D The few who asked how were hoping I'd tell them I found a pill on a late night infomercial, or I rubbed a magic lamp at Antique Roadshow and got a wish. Sadly no, so they lost interest in causation after that.

The only negative reaction I got was from my mom and she was a real PITA. Since I was obviously losing weight, she had to know how. I told her. Paleo, keeping an eye on total calories, and MMA. Then she had to wield her Google Fu to find every negative article she could dig up about "crash dieting" and email them to me, then call to "discuss" which meant an hour of her yarping at me about how unhealthy I was being because I wasn't living on Lean Cuisines and rice cakes. She'd also call my brothers to discuss my "weight issues" and "unhealthy eating habits" and tell them about how I had diabetes (I do not) and high blood pressure (115/75) and how I'd die of a heart attack before long. That'd get one of them to calling me to try to sell me Isagenix. Seriously, if I wanted to drink my dinner it'd come in a bourbon bottle. She'd go to Whole Foods and buy some uber $$$ whole wheat bread she liked and mail it to me. And of course, get mad because I wouldn't eat it. I'm gluten intolerant and when I eat bread my allergies and asthma think it's time to come for an extended visit, but never mind that. Also I needed to stop MMA because I was too old and would get hurt. Plus it's unladylike. What I needed was a treadmill so I could walk at home. THEN she'd go buy me really ugly, unflattering clothes 2 to 3 sizes larger than I'd ever worn in my life and mail them to me. Crazy train full steam ahead.

This is seriously crazy town. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this nonsense - from your immediately family, no less. I feel for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!