Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm going to focus on something I think is more important: how do you react to others after your weight loss.

Years ago there was a made for TV movie called "the girl most likely to". Played by Stockard Channing, the story revolved around an obese college student who admittedly was not very pretty but was trying her best to fit in. During the course of winding her way through the muck and mire of peerdom, she ended up being the brunt of a joke that was so humiliating to her that she ran out and ended up in an accident that landed her in the hospital getting extreme plastic surgery.

You can probably guess that she ended up beautiful and thin.

And then she exacted her revenge for every hurtful, painful thing anyone ever did to her.

I was 380 pounds. I am now down to 240. I wonder how many in this thread would look at me with disdain still? I hope none would. I would like to think everyone here- even the ones here to gain weight- would say "wow thats great!"

The other day, while sitting in the B&N waiting on some good herbal tea, I looked over and saw a woman eating her scone. They serve very large scones in the one near us. With a custard sauce. She was enjoying it. I would guess her weight to be around 400 or so. She was a big girl.

At first the thought crossed my mind: "doesn't she see how she looks eating that?"

Then I looked over at a very lovely, thin girl and her friends. They were laughing and looking at me. One even said:"Its okay for old ladies to be fat" (she needed to learn how to whisper). Since I was the only woman there with gray hair it was safe to assume who the object was.

It was wrong of me to see someone else the way others see me.

Changing how we see others after we lose our weight is as important as how others see us, I reckon.

I remember that movie! I am a huge Stockard Channing fan and this was the first movie I saw her in. I was a teen then, and though not really overweight was already on the "diet" trend. We all wanted to be thinner no matter what. I remember watching this movie cheering for her as she got her revenge on everyone who was mean to her. Now that I'm older and wiser I truly do just want to feel good about myself for me. I really honestly don't care what others think. That sometimes comes with age.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »
    Heydew wrote: »
    I always find it interesting when people react to your weight loss. Or when they offer you something to eat and you decline.

What are some of your experience with people's reactions? Have any good stories?

So, this has turned into a bit of a petpeeve for me, but I hate eating at my parents. My mom and baby bro & sis are all super happy and supportive, but my dad makes it super difficult to eat smart (strange given how attentive he is to detail when making my mom diabetic-friendly meals). He's happy that I'm losing the weight, but when I start trying to track what I'm eating he tends to get snippy and offended.

My husband's responses are both expected and unexpected. For the expected: He keeps doing the shaky-excited-squeezy hug thing to me and basically acting like an excited teenaged girl about being able to wrap his arms completely around me. On the unexpected (and kind of irritating) end, he's much more protective and jealous now. As an example, if I'm out swimming and he sees a group of idiot guys in the area, he'll either sit there like an angry sentinel or he'll bug and bug for me to go home with him (this might have been cute and a bit of an ego-booster, but it interferes with my exercise, so yeah, not cool).

I get a lot of happy and positive responses from others ("Have you lost weight?" "You're looking great!" etc), and recently I've been getting a lot of "What year of college are you?", not to mention I'm getting ID'd a lot more often again (apparently I look about 20 to some people). There are also a couple fashion retailers I frequent, and a couple of the employees have started bringing me a size smaller when they have something new they think I'll like, so that feels really good! ^_^

My husband is the same, he cannot keep his hands of me which is awesome, but now annoys me by texting me to get home early when I go out with friends somewhere where he knows that there will be a lot of strange men around...
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Here is my post about people's reaction to my weight loss:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10396593/my-weightloss-makes-people-angry-that-makes-me-happy-d#latest

People have said some really crazy stuff. Makes me wonder what's wrong with them!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "you lost so much weight....are you well?"
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My Mother last weekend when we were swimming: "where did your boobs go?"
  • rachellosesitall85
    Options
    ^^^ I wish. Genetics has mine looking bigger than ever but I'm losing a little booty. My band size is going down I'm still an F after almost 40lbs down. Time to lift heavy for my butt!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!