Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »

One thing I have noticed...I have been complimented a lot, but it's always women. Other than my husband and father, no men have said a word.

Any 40+ married men care to comment on that--I'd love to know what's happening from your perspective on this.

42 year old married man here. First off, I don't think I know any ladies that have had a major weight loss. If I did, though, I'd probably have to know them pretty well to say something about it. I'd be worried a bit about coming off like a creep that was hitting on her. I also feel that pointing out that I notice how much they've lost is also pointing out that I noticed how huge they used to be...lol. It's a weird dynamic, as I'm down almost 60lbs myself, and appreciate the comments when I get them. I worry that by pointing out weight loss to a woman, I'm also pointing out how much heavier she used to be in an insulting way. Hopefully that makes sense.

That does make sense. But it highlights the difference. When women compliment women there is no subtext of "if you look good now, it's because you were fat before." I don't think this goes the other way, with women complimenting men.

• tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My two favorite comments came while at church from older women. One said to me as I walked in the door..."Where's your other half?" I said, "He's parking the car. He'll be right in." She said, "No, I mean the other half of you!" Last week a woman who I know by sight only said I looked amazing and a 'shadow of my former self'. Lol.

One thing I have noticed...I have been complimented a lot, but it's always women. Other than my husband and father, no men have said a word.

Any 40+ married men care to comment on that--I'd love to know what's happening from your perspective on this.

42 year old married man here. First off, I don't think I know any ladies that have had a major weight loss. If I did, though, I'd probably have to know them pretty well to say something about it. I'd be worried a bit about coming off like a creep that was hitting on her. I also feel that pointing out that I notice how much they've lost is also pointing out that I noticed how huge they used to be...lol. It's a weird dynamic, as I'm down almost 60lbs myself, and appreciate the comments when I get them. I worry that by pointing out weight loss to a woman, I'm also pointing out how much heavier she used to be in an insulting way. Hopefully that makes sense.

I have lost 40+ lbs with 15 to go, size 14 to size 4/6, and only one male (a much younger guy in my dept. who appreciates fitness, etc.) has said anything. Almost every woman in my school has made positive comments and more. I teach in a high school and I've had former male students in and out of school come up to me and tell me how great I looked. One in particular came was home from college for a few days and kept going on about it......I knew he was special :)
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

That does make sense. But it highlights the difference. When women compliment women there is no subtext of "if you look good now, it's because you were fat before." I don't think this goes the other way, with women complimenting men.

I don't think it does either. I have received compliments from a lot of women, so they seem fine doing it. And I know a couple guys losing weight, and I'll compliment them. But it feels like it'd be weird mentioning it to a woman. Us guys are weird sometimes, though. :)
  • rickc74
    Options
    Snipsa wrote: »
    My two favorite comments came while at church from older women. One said to me as I walked in the door..."Where's your other half?" I said, "He's parking the car. He'll be right in." She said, "No, I mean the other half of you!" Last week a woman who I know by sight only said I looked amazing and a 'shadow of my former self'. Lol.

I actually had this conversation with my brother in law the other day.

Some context: We are both early 30's and we have both lost around 25-30Kgs (as has my sister - his wife).

The two of us were at a bike repair shop taking my scooter in for repairs. The owner has known us for approximately 5 years now, and we tend to go there about twice a year (for services, repairs, etc on our bikes). After seeing my brother in law for the first time in six months, the male owner pulled me aside and asked me if he had been ill or if he had lost the weight by following a diet. I quickly explained the details of mfp, and then he had a long conversation with my brother...

He never once mentioned my weightloss during the entire exchange.

My brother in law found it funny/disturbing, but I told him no man, other than my dad, my best male friend and my brothers in law have commented on the weightloss - whilst every other woman I know (especially in the last two months) have made comments (from very supportive (90%) to slightly catty (5-10%)).

We realized then that either men are blind to women's weight (doubtful...) or they feel unsure about how to broach the topic.

My brother however, have apparently been receiving positive comments/questions from both genders equally... It makes for interesting social commentary...

I think it is the unsure how to bring it up thing. People always notice, it's in our nature. We just donnt always know what to say, or if we should say it.
  • rickc74
    Options
    tamms_1965 wrote: »

I have lost 40+ lbs with 15 to go, size 14 to size 4/6, and only one male (a much younger guy in my dept. who appreciates fitness, etc.) has said anything. Almost every woman in my school has made positive comments and more. I teach in a high school and I've had former male students in and out of school come up to me and tell me how great I looked. One in particular came was home from college for a few days and kept going on about it......I knew he was special :)
    Haha, that's awesome. Good stuff :)
  • fitnellieforlife
    fitnellieforlife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight on weightwatchers before I gained it back a male friend saw me while passing me in my neighborhood and said " u look different, by the way never complain about your boobs! They r nice!" I lost weight and still had my boobs but that made me laugh at the same time uncomfortable. I'm back to losing these 70 pounds now on this site and not weightwatchers. I'm happy I'm here.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Its been a mixed reaction at my workplace. A couple of female co-workers have been complimentary and supportive whereas others (from another section of the company but have regular contact with) haven't said a word, although I think one was on the cusp of saying something when she saw me eating my butter chicken the other day for lunch...im sure she wanted to say you're eating takeaway?? lol. A couple of the non communicative co-workers started going on diets I reckon as soon as they noticed my weight loss...or I dunno could've just been a coincidence lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't recall anything in particular.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!