Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    rickc74 wrote: »

One thing I have noticed...I have been complimented a lot, but it's always women. Other than my husband and father, no men have said a word.

Any 40+ married men care to comment on that--I'd love to know what's happening from your perspective on this.

42 year old married man here. First off, I don't think I know any ladies that have had a major weight loss. If I did, though, I'd probably have to know them pretty well to say something about it. I'd be worried a bit about coming off like a creep that was hitting on her. I also feel that pointing out that I notice how much they've lost is also pointing out that I noticed how huge they used to be...lol. It's a weird dynamic, as I'm down almost 60lbs myself, and appreciate the comments when I get them. I worry that by pointing out weight loss to a woman, I'm also pointing out how much heavier she used to be in an insulting way. Hopefully that makes sense.

How about this. If you are a man and would like to acknowledge that a woman has lost weight but you are afraid of coming off like a creeper or implying that she used to be fat, how about just saying, "You look like you've lost weight." Period.

That alone is a compliment. I'm sure many women like myself would look in the mirror and not be able to see the changes. This comment confirms that the change is visible. Then there is no implied value judgement (eg. you look good--implies you looked bad before) and there is nothing inappropriate sounding.

Chances are this little comment will open her up to say something about it (yeah, I've lost 20 lbs, or it's a work in progress, whatever), then you could follow it up with something like "you're doing a good job." Again no sexual innuendo.

And if on the off chance you are wrong, and she hasn't lost weight--it still stands as a compliment!

Good advice, thank you :)
  • 50_SHADES_OF_TREY
    50_SHADES_OF_TREY Posts: 84 Member
    ericatoday wrote: »
    My family tells me to stop losing weight because im going to start looking sick im 5'7" and 135lbs i still have lots of jiggle because im not toned and i still have thick thighs. But my whole family is obese so idk of theyre jealous or just use to fat family. Or i hate when people ask how i did it then they say thats too much work.

I WANNA SEE THAT JIGGLE.....LOL
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    I'm going to focus on something I think is more important: how do you react to others after your weight loss.

Years ago there was a made for TV movie called "the girl most likely to". Played by Stockard Channing, the story revolved around an obese college student who admittedly was not very pretty but was trying her best to fit in. During the course of winding her way through the muck and mire of peerdom, she ended up being the brunt of a joke that was so humiliating to her that she ran out and ended up in an accident that landed her in the hospital getting extreme plastic surgery.

You can probably guess that she ended up beautiful and thin.

And then she exacted her revenge for every hurtful, painful thing anyone ever did to her.

I was 380 pounds. I am now down to 240. I wonder how many in this thread would look at me with disdain still? I hope none would. I would like to think everyone here- even the ones here to gain weight- would say "wow thats great!"

The other day, while sitting in the B&N waiting on some good herbal tea, I looked over and saw a woman eating her scone. They serve very large scones in the one near us. With a custard sauce. She was enjoying it. I would guess her weight to be around 400 or so. She was a big girl.

At first the thought crossed my mind: "doesn't she see how she looks eating that?"

Then I looked over at a very lovely, thin girl and her friends. They were laughing and looking at me. One even said:"Its okay for old ladies to be fat" (she needed to learn how to whisper). Since I was the only woman there with gray hair it was safe to assume who the object was.

It was wrong of me to see someone else the way others see me.

Changing how we see others after we lose our weight is as important as how others see us, I reckon.

I was just telling my bf about this movie two days ago. Jon from "CHiPS" was in it. She cut him loose or something like that while they were sky diving...haha
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    My oldest sister whines and says, "Yeah, but losing weight (or whatever it is that she's working on personally) is easier for YOU." Whatever. I usually just smile and say, "Yeah. It is."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!