Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have written the "don't lose any more weight" response.

It's amazing (and unfortunate), isn't it, what has become normal now in our culture regarding weight?

I couldn't help but notice this on my commute home yesterday (through several train stations through a major east coast city). Hardly anyone was thin. I'm 5' 1/2" and about 120 and could probably lose 10-15 more lbs. I bet people would tell me not to lose any more. I mentioned working on losing weight to a friend recently, and she said "From where?" in all seriousness. I have a little belly. It's little, but it's still there. And it's not really supposed to be there ... It's not good for you ...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    My body transformation has been quite important and unless you're blind, you would totally notice.

As a matter of fact, people barely recognise me if they haven't seen me in more than six months. Although my weight loss has been gradual, it became very visible after 6 / 7 months as I don't have any cheek left, and I do look like a "thin man". It is quite weird when people fail to recognise you and I mean people you've known for years and that's what is making them a bit uncomfortable for most of them.

I've heard many times:

" If it wasn't for your eyes, I wouldn't know it's you".

" If it wasn't for you voice, I wouldn't know it's you'.

Overhearing: "It's funny, he looks like kitkatlp" (That's me!)

Like that colleague of mine who's very skinny and keeps commenting "you can definitely take that slice of pizza" "you have to stop losing weight", "you can have some cake", etc.

What is a bit annoying is people that for some reason feel the right to say "that's enough now, you should stop". Well, that's interesting that they didn't say anything when I was so much overweight for years...which was far unhealthier.

But the most annoying one is people trying to "scare" me: "have you had a blood test?" "are you sure everything's fine" "aren't you concerned about you health".

That is so irrational. Even my wife is asking me "you should see your doctor just to make sure everything's fine".

Why on earth would I go to the doctor when I'm feeling so much better now with 50kg / 110lbs down?

But the worst part, why do they care NOW when I'm so much healthier and they actually didn't say a word when I had reached a BMI of 40 (morbidly obese).

Btw, now I run 15K like it's a normal run for me, I swim / run / cycle / lift weights everyday. No sleep apnea, no asthma, no stomach pains, no heartburns, no sickness, no flu, etc. (knock on wood) which were all daily inconveniences for me before.

So, now they care about me going to the doctor because they cannot deal with my weight loss? I'm sorry but I'm not going to repeat again that I've embarked upon this journey to make it a change of lifestyle, in the healthiest manner possible, etc.

And yes, let's face it. It's quite hypocritical from them to feel free to speak up about me going to the doctor and they kept their mouth shut so many years whereas I was definitely putting my life at risk.

They may do it out of kindness. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But at some point, they'll have to understand that it is a bit annoying.

The bolded is what annoys me the most. Most people won't tell you you are getting too heavy because it is rude. I don't know why they don't realize that telling you you are losing too much is just as rude.
  • jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    hnself wrote: »
    I found this whole dynamic interesting. My family and closest friends, those who I thought would support me the most, were the ones who made little to no comments. In the beginning it was understandable because it was only a slight change, but as it became obvious, the people who would comment would be those who I see on a week- to- week basis. My baristas, people at church, etc. My grandmother was the only one who really encouraged me. My aunt showed concern, continuously making sure I was losing weight right- but never commenting that I look good. It was disappointing. It was nice gaining encouragement from others, but I would have liked to receive compliments and encouragement from those closest to me.

Exactly. Glad for this reason MFP community exists. I remember a while ago my mom asked how much weight I wanted to lose. I said probably 20 lbs. She said that sounds like too much. I said I was 20 lbs less than that before and nobody noticed! She just looked at me befuddled. The kudos always comes from people I least expect and am not that close with.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've had several people literally stop me on the street while I am walking to tell me how they've been watching me the last 2 years and how impressive my progress is! That feels nothing but AWESOME!

Nice! But...also kind of creepy on their part!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I've been asked "my secret" several times. Most people are not happy when they find out the secret is counting calories. I had one guy ask me over and over what I gave up. I told him I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calorie goal. "No, really. What did you give up? Sweets, fats?" I don't think he ever believed me.

I think I've only been asked the "what did you give up?" question once. I said "large portions". :)

That's good. I may use that too.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have had several random people (cashier at the pharmacy, etc.) tell me I'm "too thin now" or look "sick". I get a lot of snark for being low carb as well. Obesity being so normalized makes being a normal weight person frustrating sometimes -_-

I used to get this A LOT when I was skinny. I'd be like "um, do you see my JLo *kitten*? Nothing "too skinny" about me!"

My question is, why do TOTAL STRANGERS feel like they have any right to comment on your figure?
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One of my friends kept telling me and everyone else that I was anorexic. Which is/was not true. It made me feel awful, I'm not sure why. And then it sabotaged my progress and I wound up gaining weight back and I still can't get it out of my head.

I don't think you need me or anyone else to tell you but, that's NOT a friend. That's jealousy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!