Honest Loose Skin Thoughts & Pics

Options

Replies

• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your refreshingly honest post. I'm hoping you or someone might be able to chime in on something related.

I haven't gotten to the point where it's "just skin" or "just skin and a bit of fat" (still a good several inches of chub), but I think I am in transition, and in some ways it's beginning to hinder my progress. My belly has begun to be a "super sagging sad muffin" drooping down to my thighs. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

What I need help with is how to get that under control so I can continue to do water exercises without risking indecency. Land exercises are very limited for me, due to back/left heel issues, so water's my mainstay. When I jump/move around, so does the SSSM, which is now stretching swimsuits at an alarming rate. Aqua Zumba and high intensity interval/Tabata are the workouts I'm doing that cause the most issues, but even the "regular" water classes have moves that cause problems with this.

Ideas on how to "rope it in" effectively so I can jump around and keeping working as hard as I can toward my goals? It would need to be something that could stay within a swimsuit and would have some reasonable measure of durability (if it's really inexpensive, I'd be fine with replacing it as frequently as every few weeks, but the budget is incredibly limited at this point, unfortunately).

Thank you in advance for any assistance/solution you can provide!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    See I'm terrified of getting loose skin!

It does tighten. My belly used to be just like OPs and now I have a taut flat stomach. Ditto with arms. Just takes a while.

I assume you are young or weren't overweight for very long?

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    blomsj wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your refreshingly honest post. I'm hoping you or someone might be able to chime in on something related.

I haven't gotten to the point where it's "just skin" or "just skin and a bit of fat" (still a good several inches of chub), but I think I am in transition, and in some ways it's beginning to hinder my progress. My belly has begun to be a "super sagging sad muffin" drooping down to my thighs. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

What I need help with is how to get that under control so I can continue to do water exercises without risking indecency. Land exercises are very limited for me, due to back/left heel issues, so water's my mainstay. When I jump/move around, so does the SSSM, which is now stretching swimsuits at an alarming rate. Aqua Zumba and high intensity interval/Tabata are the workouts I'm doing that cause the most issues, but even the "regular" water classes have moves that cause problems with this.

Ideas on how to "rope it in" effectively so I can jump around and keeping working as hard as I can toward my goals? It would need to be something that could stay within a swimsuit and would have some reasonable measure of durability (if it's really inexpensive, I'd be fine with replacing it as frequently as every few weeks, but the budget is incredibly limited at this point, unfortunately).

Thank you in advance for any assistance/solution you can provide!

@blomsj , have you tried a shapewear of some kind, to wear under your bathing suit? That should be what you're looking for, to keep sssm in its place. Congratulations on your progress and good luck!
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love your confidence And braveness !!! . Your marks represents your beauty ! Your loose skin represents a mission you accomplished ! We all have flaws I love how you look just the way you are
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    @blomsj , have you tried a shapewear of some kind, to wear under your bathing suit? That should be what you're looking for, to keep sssm in its place. Congratulations on your progress and good luck!

Thank you for checking in. I have not tried shapewear for this. Is there an inexpensive one that you might recommend to me? Also, do you think that would hold up against chlorinated water?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hi. This post is incredibly thoughtful. You are so kind to share your experience and address the questions that many people have regarding massive weight loss. Good on you for creating this post.
  • mroloff
    mroloff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this too. I've lost 123 pounds and I have another 50 or so to go to reach my goal weight. The worst of my extra skin is my stomach (though there is still quite a bit of fat to lose there too) but then also my thighs, upper arms, and armpits. I've intermittently had issues with the skin where my stomach overhangs for a while but in the last month or two it's become a real problem. Itching, burning, sometimes so much pain from it that I need to stop mid-workout. I wear tighter fitting workout pants, which used to be enough but that's not really helping anymore. Neither is using baby powder in the fold to keep things dry. If anyone else has experienced this to a point where it's interfering with your ability to do what you need to do to keep going, I'd love to hear what you did to overcome it.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    mroloff wrote: »
    I'm dealing with this too. I've lost 123 pounds and I have another 50 or so to go to reach my goal weight. The worst of my extra skin is my stomach (though there is still quite a bit of fat to lose there too) but then also my thighs, upper arms, and armpits. I've intermittently had issues with the skin where my stomach overhangs for a while but in the last month or two it's become a real problem. Itching, burning, sometimes so much pain from it that I need to stop mid-workout. I wear tighter fitting workout pants, which used to be enough but that's not really helping anymore. Neither is using baby powder in the fold to keep things dry. If anyone else has experienced this to a point where it's interfering with your ability to do what you need to do to keep going, I'd love to hear what you did to overcome it.

That's some of what I've been dealing with as well. I don't have a great solution for it. I did find some reasonably inexpensive shaping undergarments for my bottom half and it seems to help some of the "bounce damage." However, I'm still having some issues with what you've listed. I've been able to moderate these issues somewhat by taking cotton balls, "fluffing" them out, and tucking them in, changing 1-3 times per day depending on how bad things are. It is not a true solution as far as I'm concerned, since the issue still hangs around/comes back, but at least it's not as bad.

Also, for the itching, I've found that a dilution of melaleuca (tea tree), peppermint, and lavender oils helps somewhat. The lavender can help soothe a burning sensation, but go easy on things if there's burning/broken skin -- the melaleuca can really make things uncomfortable! Fractionated coconut oil is probably your best bet for the oil uses, as other oils may exacerbate the issue due to taking longer to sink in. If you've got a go-to lotion you're using to treat, you might try adding the oils to that too, but as I've never tried it myself, I'd hesitate to make any specific recommendations.

If you come across a solution that helps to keep issues away, could you please share it and tag me? Fixes are nice and all, but I'd really love a solution. That's what brought me to this thread in the first place.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    When it gets to itching and burning it can be caused by a yeast infection. Otc antifungal creams can help in that case. To prevent future chafing try something like BodyGlide?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    @blomsj , How about zinc ointment, aka diaper rash cream, it can create a barrier for your skin from the moisture? Also, seeing that it creates so many difficulties in your everyday life, have you looked into getting insurance to cover excess skin removal surgery? I would think that at this point it could be considered medically necessary procedure, maybe see a dr and start the process?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have moderate batwings of loose skin. It's not so that people stare on the street, but it makes my arms wobble even though I lift and my BMI is only 22. That does not please me lemme tell you but at age 48 wtf do I expect.... I just try and ignore it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It occurs to me, a lot of that weight is probably the skin. It's not *all* fat. Your doctor may be able to help you estimate how much so that you don't think you're still fat when you have lost down to a healthy body composition.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    icemom011,

Thank you for the suggestions! I have not heard of this being medically necessary, but will definitely look into it more. I'm probably going to be stuck with the problem for now though, as I am not yet near where I'll be finishing. (34.5 down out of what I'm guessing will be 100-120).

I have not yet tried the ointment. I would have to do more research about when and how I can use it though, as I use a swimming pool almost every day. (And yes, that is likely somewhat contributing to the problem, but at the same time, I have been having these issues for years).
  • mroloff
    mroloff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just to update, I saw my doctor and I now have a prescription antifungal cream to use 1-2 times a day, depending on how bad things are. So far it seems to be helping a little bit but it's hard to tell since I've been on vacation so not on my normal exercise routine, which is where the problems have been the worst. We'll see what happens now that I'm home.
  • sherryheyer
    sherryheyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your post is exactly what I needed to read! I started at 332 pounds and I am now at 242. I've been very anxious about my loose skin especially around my stomach. But your post made me realize that yes this isn't the end of the world and that I'm a lot healthier now. I think you so much for your honesty it's help me a lot reading your post. Thankfully I have a husband that sees me through Rose Colored Glasses and wait in the excess skin doesn't faze him at all. :-)
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You gave me perspective. All you say here, strikes a fjord with me.

Congratulations on your healthy body and healthy outlook on life! :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    Thank you! You gave me perspective. All you say here, strikes a fjord with me.

Congratulations on your healthy body and healthy outlook on life! :)

What a lovely post. @Lynzdee18