Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Agree with this this. I also think it's odd that people think it's news, as if everyone else was assuming that tigers had a stable of cows or antelopes or whatever for milking should they want some tasty milk as an adult.

They'll opportunistically drink it, of course, and we figured out how to make it easy and available for us to do it (hands are kind of helpful too).

Just one of the many advantages of being at the top of the food chain. :)

My cat will not leave me alone when I am drinking milk (or ice cream) she loves it and will lick the bottom of my cup or bowl.

My cat goes almost postal to get her paws on dairy!

Milk
    cream
    sour cream
    cottage cheese
    ice cream

and her all time favourite is CHEESE, even cheesecake which i have to share with her every time i make it :grumble: She has learnt to recognise the sound of the wrapper of the cheese block and the thud it makes putting it down on the kitchen bench, and will come running from wherever she is to get 3-4-5 cubes. She definitely has a dairy "issue".
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^^omg Christine, that is hilarious.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Agree with this this. I also think it's odd that people think it's news, as if everyone else was assuming that tigers had a stable of cows or antelopes or whatever for milking should they want some tasty milk as an adult.

They'll opportunistically drink it, of course, and we figured out how to make it easy and available for us to do it (hands are kind of helpful too).

My cat will not leave me alone when I am drinking milk (or ice cream) she loves it and will lick the bottom of my cup or bowl.

Milk
    cream
    sour cream
    cottage cheese
    ice cream

and her all time favourite is CHEESE, even cheesecake which i have to share with her every time i make it :grumble: She has learnt to recognise the sound of the wrapper of the cheese block and the thud it makes putting it down on the kitchen bench, and will come running from wherever she is to get 3-4-5 cubes. She definitely has a dairy "issue".
    For mine it was yogurt. He heard the container open and became an unbearable pest unless/until I let him lick the cap, or the foil or something.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Milk
    cream
    sour cream
    cottage cheese
    ice cream

For mine it was yogurt. He heard the container open and became an unbearable pest unless/until I let him lick the cap, or the foil or something.

I'm preeeettty sure that if cats, or any animal for that matter had access to milk in the wild they would take full advantage of it!
  • Christine_72
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also, i have absolutely nothing against plant based or vegans. I have huge respect for them, and i admire their fortitude and i do think they are doing a great service to animals by not contributing to the cruel slaughtering practices that abound :(
    But the humans are the only animals who consume milk argument just makes no sense..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, i have absolutely nothing against plant based or vegans. I have huge respect for them, and i admire their fortitude and i do think they are doing a great service to animals by not contributing to the cruel slaughtering practices that abound :(
    But the humans are the only animals who consume milk argument just makes no sense..

Yeah -- I think there are plenty of good reasons not to eat dairy (though not for me not to eat dairy, at least not so far), but that anyone takes that argument seriously always puzzles me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

But glad we amused whatshername and her friends at their party! :)B)o:)
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yeah that comment made me feel like a bit of a fool...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

It was udderly entertaining!! LOL
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.

It sounds like you are talking about High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) I agree its not healthy. I have read healthy fats are essential for neurological health. I think vegans are low in Vit.K? There is a girl on YT named Julia Boer she has gained almost 100 lbs on HCLF. I really believe a healthy balance of fruit, veg, fats, protein is the way to go.

No, I am referring to the original post which mentioned a plant based diet and the trouble she is having getting protein. She did not say it was high carb low fat or low carb high fat. Either way you need the protein which is why I mention the almonds and veggie burgers and tofu. It seems she is on a vegan plan. Just to clarify.

OP mentions eating Greek yogurt, so not a vegan plan. She's just seeking additional plant sources of protein to add to her diet.

Yeah I know that but by the time I got into my comment that small detail slid off into the sunset. I also made sure to leave wiggle room in my comment by using such words as "if" and "it SEEMS". This way if I failed to remember all the details as I commented I would not be making a life or death error in commenting. So there ya go. Not sure what kind of debate you are attempting with me here. It seems a tad disjointed and awkward. I am only offering a bit of advice on (mostly) plant based protein and my take on a vegan plan. I do not consider my word to be gospel, but I do consider it valuable enough to offer even if I do not meet the strict and rigid requirements of perfect strangers who are also commenting here.

I'm not attempting any type of debate, I was simply trying to recenter the discussion on the OP's actual situation. If you don't feel my comment is appropriate, feel free to disregard it.

How kind of you to play moderator of the commenters here. My original comment stands. If the original poster likes what anyone offers, she will take their advice and implement it. If not, then she won't. I don't think anyone here needs to be patrolled and "re-centered". Have a nice day!

Your last comments are on point. I made the same mistake. I didn't ad IMO after every statement. I was at a party and we all were cracking up at the backlash. I will not make that mistake again.

This confuses me, I haven't addressed any comments to you in this thread or in any others.

I wasn't really talking about you. I was speaking in general about what happened days ago. Honestly I couldn't keep track of all the people who got on my butt about being anti-dairy in MY diet. I could have some exchanges with those same folks in the future and would have no idea they went after me. I can't be bothered to put that much thought into it. Besides if it gets to be overly hateful I hit the ignore button.

So you wrote that a criticism of me was "on point," but you weren't talking about me? I still don't understand, but thank you for attempting to clarify. Rest assured, I haven't been "on your butt" in other threads. Until I sought clarification on your post just now, we hadn't had any interactions.

I was talking about her comment about her "last comments" ...the one she said "I usually leave wiggle room by using IF and "IT SEEMS" Notice I said I forgot to add "IMO" Also notice I said "your PREVIOUS comment".
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me which animal takes the milk from the mother of young nursing babies? Like pull up to the nursing mother and latch on as an adult. For example a lion cub, the mother and father stay together...does the dad or any other in the pride take the milk? This is a honest question?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Let it go
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me which animal takes the milk from the mother of young nursing babies? Like pull up to the nursing mother and latch on as an adult. For example a lion cub, the mother and father stay together...does the dad or any other in the pride take the milk? This is a honest question?

None that I'm aware of. I'm sure the mother lion would have something to grumble about if a big ol toothy male lion latched onto her teat, just as i would if my husband had a go :wink:

I couldn't wait to get my babies off my boob and onto solids, they don't need the nutrition from breast milk once they're onto real food. I eat dairy firstly because it tastes good, the protein and calcium it provides is an added bonus. I don;t consume because i NEED it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Let it go

Yeah, lets maybe forget about the last 6 pages and start afresh :smile:
  • stylistchicky
    Options

None that I'm aware of. I'm sure the mother lion would have something to grumble about if a big ol toothy male lion latched onto her teat, just as i would if my husband had a go :wink:

I couldn't wait to get my babies off my boob and onto solids, they don't need the nutrition from breast milk once they're onto real food. I eat dairy firstly because it tastes good, the protein and calcium it provides is an added bonus. I don;t consume because i NEED it.

Right about the lions. I laughed using that as a example. LOL. I was just thinking. *I don't think* its natural in nature to drink milk once weaned. I loved milk too. *For me*, it was making me sick and fat...made my tumor grow. My then husband went off of milk with me (because I buy the groceries, fix the food...including his after workout shake, he is a body builder and leaned out. Lost most of the pooch covering his abs....he also stoped farting so much. Now we are divorced he went back on dairy and got fat. LOL!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Overconsuming calories made him gain weight...
  • Christine_72
    Options

Right about the lions. I laughed using that as a example. LOL. I was just thinking. *I don't think* its natural in nature to drink milk once weaned. I loved milk too. *For me*, it was making me sick and fat...made my tumor grow. My then husband went off of milk with me (because I buy the groceries, fix the food...including his after workout shake, he is a body builder and leaned out. Lost most of the pooch covering his abs....he also stoped farting so much. Now we are divorced he went back on dairy and got fat. LOL!

I don't have any health issues with dairy other than these tiny white bumps on my chin and temples which disappear when i cut down on milk/yogurt. I solved it by switching to A2 milk and yogurt.

As for your husbands weight gain.. I have read many a time on the low carb forum that dairy stalls out weight loss for some people, but nobody really know why..
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Did I already do ants and caterpillar "milk" in this thread? I can't keep them straight.

How about the red-billed oxpecker? They perch on impalas (the animal not the car) to eat ticks but have been said to drink the milk from their host animal if it's available.

f9762bfa96962b7bff910e27902ded26.jpg
This discussion has been closed.