Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    BUWAHAHAHAHA politicians eating dairy products, well, there you have it! Dairy iz teh debbil!

.... Obama's face looks so freaking intense ....

Look, if you're so worried, get organic, grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotic blah blah blah type dairy products. I buy them even though I know I'm spending more. I think it tastes better. Or get Lactaid if you're lactose intolerant. Badabing, problem solved. I eat the h-e-double hockeysticks out of dairy and I have excellent bone density and no gut problems and no cancer lol and I'm actually really dadgum attractive for age 48. :P

If u don't like dairy then by all means skip it, but no one is convincing me that milk is "bacteria and pus" or "bad for me" or a government plot or any of that stuff.

You are on a plant based topic so......People who follow a plant based diet typically do not consume any animal products for a variety of reasons, health, religion, ethical, personal choice. Feel free to pull up to a utter and drink till the cow is dry. Enjoy!!

The anti-dairy stuff is what's off topic on the thread. To refresh memories of the OP:

"I am trying to lose weight, while cleaning up my diet to be pretty much plant-based. This has not been an overnight process, but the result of modifications over a few years.

Now, I have cut back to 1200 calories, in an effort to reduce my weight. The big dilemma I am facing is protein intake. Even with a vegan protein shake per day as supplementation, I am consistently running short of protein. My goal is set to 80 grams. Even with the addition of legumes (do I really have to eat them every day?), or non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I know....), I can't manage. I don't eat soy, as I am over 50, and don't want to mess with my hormones. It is beginning to hamper my exercise tolerance, as I feel a bit weak."

She's asking for suggestions for plant-based protein options, not to be told that she should not consume dairy, which is what your initial post and argument since has been about.

See...plant based doesnt consume dairy.
    BUT Vegetarians do. She even said (I know) meaning it was bad. Reading comprehension helps in situations like these.

edit: OY.
    Never mind. I give up.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She
    BUWAHAHAHAHA politicians eating dairy products, well, there you have it! Dairy iz teh debbil!

Look, if you're so worried, get organic, grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotic blah blah blah type dairy products. I buy them even though I know I'm spending more. I think it tastes better. Or get Lactaid if you're lactose intolerant. Badabing, problem solved. I eat the h-e-double hockeysticks out of dairy and I have excellent bone density and no gut problems and no cancer lol and I'm actually really dadgum attractive for age 48. :P

If u don't like dairy then by all means skip it, but no one is convincing me that milk is "bacteria and pus" or "bad for me" or a government plot or any of that stuff.

You are on a plant based topic so......People who follow a plant based diet typically do not consume any animal products for a variety of reasons, health, religion, ethical, personal choice. Feel free to pull up to a utter and drink till the cow is dry. Enjoy!!

The anti-dairy stuff is what's off topic on the thread. To refresh memories of the OP:

"I am trying to lose weight, while cleaning up my diet to be pretty much plant-based. This has not been an overnight process, but the result of modifications over a few years.

Now, I have cut back to 1200 calories, in an effort to reduce my weight. The big dilemma I am facing is protein intake. Even with a vegan protein shake per day as supplementation, I am consistently running short of protein. My goal is set to 80 grams. Even with the addition of legumes (do I really have to eat them every day?), or non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I know....), I can't manage. I don't eat soy, as I am over 50, and don't want to mess with my hormones. It is beginning to hamper my exercise tolerance, as I feel a bit weak."

She's asking for suggestions for plant-based protein options, not to be told that she should not consume dairy, which is what your initial post and argument since has been about.

BUT Vegetarians do. She even said (I know) meaning it was bad. Reading comprehension helps in situations like these.

Never mind. I give up.

"BUT Vegetarians do. She even said (I know) meaning it was bad. Reading comprehension helps in situations like these. [/quote]"

Never mind. I give up.[/quote]

Where in that quote did I say VEGAN?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    As far as this whole "humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom" nonsense goes as a reason for not consuming dairy I say this. We are are also the only species to utilize internet, cars, gasoline, clothing made from synthetic fibers, air conditioning, stoves, washers, dryers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, paper pens and pencils, paint, crayons, printers, television, laundry baskets, bed linens and pillows, flower pots, books, calendars, recipes, MFP, indoor plumbing, chlorinated water, fluoridated water, mouthwash, measuring cups. You get the idea. So this "we are the only species to to drink milk past weaning so that means we should not be doing it" surely must apply to all the other things exclusive to our species. Right?????

Actually, my dog and cats drink fluoridated water from our tap, so that one is out as an example, my friend.

;)

Your dog is taking what you give him so yeah. The item remains. ;)

Yeah, my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek...
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.

It sounds like you are talking about High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) I agree its not healthy. I have read healthy fats are essential for neurological health. I think vegans are low in Vit.K? There is a girl on YT named Julia Boer she has gained almost 100 lbs on HCLF. I really believe a healthy balance of fruit, veg, fats, protein is the way to go.

No, I am referring to the original post which mentioned a plant based diet and the trouble she is having getting protein. She did not say it was high carb low fat or low carb high fat. Either way you need the protein which is why I mention the almonds and veggie burgers and tofu. It seems she is on a vegan plan. Just to clarify.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    She

Never mind. I give up.

Where in that quote did I say VEGAN?

Have a swell day.
    Options
    As far as this whole "humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom" nonsense goes as a reason for not consuming dairy I say this. We are are also the only species to utilize internet, cars, gasoline, clothing made from synthetic fibers, air conditioning, stoves, washers, dryers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, paper pens and pencils, paint, crayons, printers, television, laundry baskets, bed linens and pillows, flower pots, books, calendars, recipes, MFP, indoor plumbing, chlorinated water, fluoridated water, mouthwash, measuring cups. You get the idea. So this "we are the only species to to drink milk past weaning so that means we should not be doing it" surely must apply to all the other things exclusive to our species. Right?????

Actually, my dog and cats drink fluoridated water from our tap, so that one is out as an example, my friend.

;)

Your dog is taking what you give him so yeah. The item remains. ;)

Yeah, my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek...

I know, which why I returned your tongue-in-cheek winky face! :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.

It sounds like you are talking about High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) I agree its not healthy. I have read healthy fats are essential for neurological health. I think vegans are low in Vit.K? There is a girl on YT named Julia Boer she has gained almost 100 lbs on HCLF. I really believe a healthy balance of fruit, veg, fats, protein is the way to go.

No, I am referring to the original post which mentioned a plant based diet and the trouble she is having getting protein. She did not say it was high carb low fat or low carb high fat. Either way you need the protein which is why I mention the almonds and veggie burgers and tofu. It seems she is on a vegan plan. Just to clarify.

OP mentions eating Greek yogurt, so not a vegan plan. She's just seeking additional plant sources of protein to add to her diet.
  • stylistchicky
    Options

Okay cool. I saw you brought up needing protien and fats. The only time I have seen (in my research) low fats and protien being a problem specifically is LCHF. Thats why I said that. But you are very right.
    Options

OP mentions eating Greek yogurt, so not a vegan plan. She's just seeking additional plant sources of protein to add to her diet.

Yeah I know that but by the time I got into my comment that small detail slid off into the sunset. I also made sure to leave wiggle room in my comment by using such words as "if" and "it SEEMS". This way if I failed to remember all the details as I commented I would not be making a life or death error in commenting. So there ya go. Not sure what kind of debate you are attempting with me here. It seems a tad disjointed and awkward. I am only offering a bit of advice on (mostly) plant based protein and my take on a vegan plan. I do not consider my word to be gospel, but I do consider it valuable enough to offer even if I do not meet the strict and rigid requirements of perfect strangers who are also commenting here.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah I know that but by the time I got into my comment that small detail slid off into the sunset. I also made sure to leave wiggle room in my comment by using such words as "if" and "it SEEMS". This way if I failed to remember all the details as I commented I would not be making a life or death error in commenting. So there ya go. Not sure what kind of debate you are attempting with me here. It seems a tad disjointed and awkward. I am only offering a bit of advice on (mostly) plant based protein and my take on a vegan plan. I do not consider my word to be gospel, but I do consider it valuable enough to offer even if I do not meet the strict and rigid requirements of perfect strangers who are also commenting here.

I'm not attempting any type of debate, I was simply trying to recenter the discussion on the OP's actual situation. If you don't feel my comment is appropriate, feel free to disregard it.
    Options

I'm not attempting any type of debate, I was simply trying to recenter the discussion on the OP's actual situation. If you don't feel my comment is appropriate, feel free to disregard it.

How kind of you to play moderator of the commenters here. My original comment stands. If the original poster likes what anyone offers, she will take their advice and implement it. If not, then she won't. I don't think anyone here needs to be patrolled and "re-centered". Have a nice day!
  • stylistchicky
    Options

How kind of you to play moderator of the commenters here. My original comment stands. If the original poster likes what anyone offers, she will take their advice and implement it. If not, then she won't. I don't think anyone here needs to be patrolled and "re-centered". Have a nice day!

Your last comments are on point. I made the same mistake. I didn't ad IMO after every statement. I was at a party and we all were cracking up at the backlash. I will not make that mistake again.
    Options

Your last comments are on point. I made the same mistake. I didn't ad IMO after every statement. I was at a party and we all were cracking up at the backlash. I will not make that mistake again.

Thank you. I do my best not to call people out on little things because dang, we are all human and prone to error at some point. But you know how the world turns in these crazy old interwebs. I also sit back and laugh though at some of the wild exchanges in here. LOL!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It wasn't my intention to make you feel "patrolled." I apologize, my comments obviously didn't come across the way that I intended.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

This confuses me, I haven't addressed any comments to you in this thread or in any others.
  • stylistchicky
    Options

This confuses me, I haven't addressed any comments to you in this thread or in any others.

I wasn't really talking about you. I was speaking in general about what happened days ago. Honestly I couldn't keep track of all the people who got on my butt about being anti-dairy in MY diet. I could have some exchanges with those same folks in the future and would have no idea they went after me. I can't be bothered to put that much thought into it. Besides if it gets to be overly hateful I hit the ignore button.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I wasn't really talking about you. I was speaking in general about what happened days ago. Honestly I couldn't keep track of all the people who got on my butt about being anti-dairy in MY diet. I could have some exchanges with those same folks in the future and would have no idea they went after me. I can't be bothered to put that much thought into it. Besides if it gets to be overly hateful I hit the ignore button.

So you wrote that a criticism of me was "on point," but you weren't talking about me? I still don't understand, but thank you for attempting to clarify. Rest assured, I haven't been "on your butt" in other threads. Until I sought clarification on your post just now, we hadn't had any interactions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Honestly I couldn't keep track of all the people who got on my butt about being anti-dairy in MY diet.

I don't think I commented on it at the time, but it's hard to blame people for not understanding that your statement to the OP (after she said she ate greek yogurt): "Did you know humans should not consume dairy products?" was intended just to be about your own personal diet.

Good to know!

Anyway, I really need to give seitan more of a try. I like the idea of it (especially the homemade version), but just never think to cook with it. OP asked whether she needs to have legumes every day, and I think one thing to keep in mind is how varied they can be, with options like chick peas and peas. Another thing that can help is PB2 or similar peanut powders, if you like them in oatmeal or smoothies.

Seitan is awesome. Hubs cooks with it all the time.
    (plant based, vegetarian hubs who consumes dairy in the form of cheese)
This discussion has been closed.