Does your partner having an interest in fitness matter to you?

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    When I look at some of the pictures @cwolfman13 just posted, as a guy I'm supposed to be checking out the T&A, but instead the most salient thing I see in these is a can-do attitude. Which is a good thing to have in a life partner.

landscape-1442498679-stef-reid-be-real-campaign.jpg
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The disconnect with some of these comments, that someone might only be interested in being healthy or not but yet also be unable to support, their significant other's health or fitness goals, is astonishing!

Just because I am physically unable to do a marathon, doesn't mean that I'd rather sit at home; on my chaise all day & watch television. My desire'd be to be at the finish line, to congratulate my SO (if I had 1); for his accomplishment & have a towel, water, snack, etc., for him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Why would it matter if your spouse/girlfriend doesn't eat what you eat or workout? Kinda narcissistic isn't it?

narcissistic? How so?? Do you know what narcissistic means?

Vain, self admiring, self absorbed so basically I'm like I can't be caught with your fatass no matter what other good qualities you might possess that kind of narcissist
    Absolutely, man. The whole premise is bogus. What if the woman has a stillborn and is battling depression. Nooooo, your *kitten* is in the gym with me or you are out. Or if the guy lost a limb and cannot enjoy fitness activities anymore... no, I'm getting a new fella.

The thing is that people who make statements about similar fitness interests don't know life much. It's just the inexperience of not having been in a long term relationship. Coz you know LIFE happens ;)

Fitness is way down the totem pole when you have more important things in life, like being a responsible parent. Or providing care to someone.

I'm having a hard time believing that these comments are serious. And you two aren't just trying to rile people up with hyperbole. You can't honestly think this. This is stressful to even try to respond to. Like...What?!!?! I don't really have to respond to this...do I....

Come on...

We have had babies. We have had illness. And injury. And tragedies. And we love and will stand by our partners through anything.

Even the people that go through the injuries and tragedies were people that were active before that and wouldn't think or say these things.

I have been with my husband for 18+ years. We are parents. Living a life. We deal with the difficult times together. And support each other to get back on our feet.

Fitness isn't just vanity. It's health. And remaining mobile for as long as we can. For some of us it's part of our job.

People can be happy, do the things they enjoy, have a fully enjoyable relationship. Then when hard times hit they have a deep love, joy, fun, and all of that to carry them through it together.

This whole thing is absurd.

I don't have time for this silliness. Maybe we are being trolled (or whatever the word for this is).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The disconnect with some of these comments, that someone might only be interested in being healthy or not but yet also be unable to support, their significant other's health or fitness goals, is astonishing!

Just because I am physically unable to do a marathon, doesn't mean that I'd rather sit at home; on my chaise all day & watch television. My desire'd be to be at the finish line, to congratulate my SO (if I had 1); for his accomplishment & have a towel, water, snack, etc., for him.

That's not what they are talking about. They are talking about healthy and able people making choices. They aren't talking about people dealing with illness and health challenges.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

That's not what they are talking about. They are talking about healthy and able people making choices. They aren't talking about people dealing with illness and health challenges.

Some're indeed, they're "requiring"; that their SO's be fit! be "able" to participate & "keep up", with them!
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited September 2016
    Options

Some're indeed, they're "requiring"; that their SO's be fit! be "able" to participate & "keep up", with them!

That's not how I perceived it. I don't see these responses as black and white. But, just life and all the shades of grey.

ETA: But, the only relationship that is my concern is my own. And we are happy and do well in the fun times and challenging times. And always keep laughing and smiling. Other people's relationships are not my concern.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

That's not how I perceived it. I don't see these responses as black and white. But, just life and all the shades of grey.

ETA: But, the only relationship that is my concern is my own. And we are happy and do well in the fun times and challenging times. And always keep laughing and smiling. Other people's relationships are not my concern.

It's been said, in this thread; that it's a "deal breaker" also. So no, these aren't just preferences; to share an interest. This is also the story of my life & why I am single. Unfortunately becoming disabled at 14 years old, didn't grant me the years necessary to find a SO 1st; to enjoy my once ideal health with. So while it's easy for me, to attract men that'd like to use me; especially since I have an invisible illness. Finding 1 whom'd deal with me, was impossible & thus I've since had to, admit defeat. Possibly if I became disabled a decade or so later, after being married, having a career & children, it might've been possible; for me to keep a relationship rather than begin 1.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

It's been said, in this thread; that it's a "deal breaker" also. So no, these aren't just preferences; to share an interest. This is also the story of my life & why I am single. Unfortunately becoming disabled at 14 years old, didn't grant me the years necessary to find a SO 1st; to enjoy my once ideal health with. So while it's easy for me, to attract men that'd like to use me; especially since I have an invisible illness. Finding 1 whom'd deal with me, was impossible & thus I've since had to, admit defeat. Possibly if I became disabled a decade or so later, after being married, having a career & children, it might've been possible; for me to keep a relationship rather than begin 1.

I'm sorry you have had to go through this. But, other people's relationships and choices shouldn't get you down. So, those people wouldn't be the right person for you. But, there are others that could be. But, I know it's not easy. Not saying it is. I understand how challenging it must be, on many different levels. I understand this is bringing up difficult feelings for you. And I know what that feels like. :heart:
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm sorry you have had to go through this. But, other people's relationships and choices shouldn't get you down. So, those people wouldn't be the right person for you. But, there are others that could be. But, I know it's not easy. Not saying it is. I understand how challenging it must be, on many different levels. I understand this is bringing up difficult feelings for you. And I know what that feels like. :heart:

Thank you but the consequences of prejudice, is societal & therefore it concerns me, whether I am the target; of it or not.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

There are billions of people in the world, and none of us will ever date 99% of them. Which is perfectly ok. What matters isn't the people you won't date, but the ones you might and will.

It sounds like your soul mate is unlikely to be a marathon runner. I hope that's not your type! But that doesn't rule everybody out. What about painters, musicians, computer programmers, librarians, and the vast majority of the population who don't love to exercise regularly? You not running marathons won't be a deal breaker to other people who don't run marathons.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thank you but the consequences of prejudice, is societal & therefore it concerns me, whether I am the target; of it or not.

I don't honestly believe that anybody is advocating prejudice.
    Were I the manager of a company and were hiring somebody to do a job - I'd look passed things such as disability, fitness level.. Activity, looks.. You get the picture?

As a human and a person that has preferences, the fact that I prefer somebody with an athletic build and that hits the gym as much as me(no, I'm not ashamed to say I have body type ideals - some people don't, I do. And that's fine because it's only me that has to live with those preferences);
    To be a person I share my life with.
    It has nothing to do with prejudice and everything to do with preference.

Just because it might not seem fair that people have attractions to different things and that you may not fit into that category for whatever reason (I'm sure I don't fit into a ton of people's ideals - for multiple reasons).
    It isn't prejudice, it's preference.

Life may not always be fair but it would be a whole lot more unfair if people got with each other and led them on if they have no true desire to be with them - which seems to be what is being stated.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best at exercising but I'd take more of an interest and give serious effort if my SO was into it and wanted to include me.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options

There are billions of people in the world, and none of us will ever date 99% of them. Which is perfectly ok. What matters isn't the people you won't date, but the ones you might and will.

It sounds like your soul mate is unlikely to be a marathon runner. I hope that's not your type! But that doesn't rule everybody out. What about painters, musicians, computer programmers, librarians, and the vast majority of the population who don't love to exercise regularly? You not running marathons won't be a deal breaker to other people who don't run marathons.

I didn't necessarily seek outdoorsy or homebody men but my point is that if I had had the time necessary, to find/build a relationship with someone before becoming disabled, I eventually wouldn't have been their preference; if their desire was someone that'd complete marathons with them & that's the problem with making preferences a requirement. Would those that require their SO to participate in recreational activities, leave if their SO couldn't continue to participate?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    It's been said, in this thread; that it's a "deal breaker" also.

Please keep in mind that people come in all shapes and sizes - and so do their preferences.

At least one person in the thread said it's a deal breaker; many others said it's the icing on the cake, and some said it's not important at all. A few even said they prefer their partner not exercise with them all the time, they prefer the alone time. I'm closer to that end of the spectrum.

I'd urge you not to give up at love. But maybe that's exactly the right thing to do. Sometimes it's harder to find when you're looking for it. I don't know. I've been single during my life, and I've been lonely. When you find somebody, Duchess, and I mean somebody who's right for you, it will be all the sweeter because what you're going through now highlights the contrast.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

Please keep in mind that people come in all shapes and sizes - and so do their preferences.

At least one person in the thread said it's a deal breaker; many others said it's the icing on the cake, and some said it's not important at all. A few even said they prefer their partner not exercise with them all the time, they prefer the alone time. I'm closer to that end of the spectrum.

I'd urge you not to give up at love. But maybe that's exactly the right thing to do. Sometimes it's harder to find when you're looking for it. I don't know. I've been single during my life, and I've been lonely. When you find somebody, Duchess, and I mean somebody who's right for you, it will be all the sweeter because what you're going through now highlights the contrast.

This.
    There's somebody out there for everybody!

My OP is regarding my personal preferences and I've always been sure of what I liked in a partner - it has nothing to do with disability.
    Someone could be perfectly able and have no interest in hitting the gym and it would fall beyond my interests.

Mine is an extreme example and I'm far from ashamed to admit it but I'm not even for a second saying that my view is universals - my view is one of a very small percentage!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

Were I the manager of a company and were hiring somebody to do a job - I'd look passed things such as disability, fitness level.. Activity, looks.. You get the picture?

As a human and a person that has preferences, the fact that I prefer somebody with an athletic build and that hits the gym as much as me(no, I'm not ashamed to say I have body type ideals - some people don't, I do. And that's fine because it's only me that has to live with those preferences);

Just because it might not seem fair that people have attractions to different things and that you may not fit into that category for whatever reason (I'm sure I don't fit into a ton of people's ideals - for multiple reasons).

Life may not always be fair but it would be a whole lot more unfair if people got with each other and led them on if they have no true desire to be with them - which seems to be what is being stated.

Preferences & requirements aren't the same. Preferences aren't absolute but requirements're. Sort of like with hiring someone. If an employer prefers that and applicant has an associates degree but requires, that they have a high school diploma. They still're able to get the job without, the degree but're unable to, without the diploma.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've read all of the posts & that's why I had said: "some" & "it's been said" because those wouldn't implicate everyone!
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,279 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Preferences & requirements aren't the same. Preferences aren't absolute but requirements're. Sort of like with hiring someone. If an employer prefers that and applicant has an associates degree but requires, that they have a high school diploma. They still're able to get the job without, the degree but're unable to, without the diploma.

Well you can't force someone to prefer something other than what they do. You wouldn't want a guy to date you bc he felt obliged. Lol. People have preferences. You can't change that.
  • AdamAthletic
    edited September 2016
    Options

The point I'm making is wether mine are preferences or requirements in a partner - doesn't make it wrong for me to be such a way.

My preferences/requirements in a partner are purely that, mine.

That doesn't make me wrong to have that outlook, I have zero requirements/preferences for 'friends' (other than the normal that most people have - no pathological liars, thieves.. Etc).

As a partner, I know what I want in somebody and that has nothing to do with prejudice and everything to do with my own choices.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    jenmar22 wrote: »

Well you can't force someone to prefer something other than what they do. You wouldn't want a guy to date you bc he felt obliged. Lol. People have preferences. You can't change that.

I have preferences & requirements, as well; everyone does but preferences're "like to have" & requirements're "must have". When either're beyond realism, that's when it's prejudicial & that isn't okay, regardless of 1's; right to be.