Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling pretty great from doing weights for the first time in many years over the past couple of weeks, having previously stayed away because I know muscle weighs more then fat and my general goal was weight loss, I'm more focused on obtaining a toned athletic look which I know weights will get me there. I stumbled across this rather impressive thread, it really does back up what lifting weights can do rather then just cardio, what's more impressive is it's women who traditionally stay off weights I think. Awesome and inspiring.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the ladies who want to start strength training but afraid of looking bulky.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ladies, when trying to show people that lifting doesn't make you bulky, don't show photos where you flex.
    It doesn't look bulky to your eye, because you're thinking lady-bodybuilder bulky. But some of the people who fear bulk are actually just afraid of the cut look, where you can see the muscles.

Show your relaxed photos that show what you look like on a daily basis.

The flexed photos are awesome in general, but not for this purpose. Sometimes they are detrimental to the effort.

All I read was blah, blah, blah! Rock on w/those muscles ladies! I lift heavy (I'm 5'2, 124lbs. deadlift 220 and squats 195, bench at 125 but I just started that in last couple of weeks, 8 unassisted pull-ups...). Do I look bulky?!?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Bumping.. I might post mine later.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling pretty great from doing weights for the first time in many years over the past couple of weeks, having previously stayed away because I know muscle weighs more then fat and my general goal was weight loss, I'm more focused on obtaining a toned athletic look which I know weights will get me there. I stumbled across this rather impressive thread, it really does back up what lifting weights can do rather then just cardio, what's more impressive is it's women who traditionally stay off weights I think. Awesome and inspiring.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it's the same pound for pound but muscle is more dense so it takes up less space. Think grapefruit compared to tangerine... adding weights in is good for your health :)
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to lift weights and really don't know where to start. I ordered New Rules for Lifting and that should come soon. I am used to doing strength with 8lb dumbbells, so this is very new to me. I also have always done lots of cardio so I have big calorie burns. Weight weight lifting the burn is small that I feel like I should be eating much less.
    Anyone want to help me get started with this?
    How often do you lift weights?
    How often do you do cardio?
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This, hands down, is the most inspiring thread ever! Thank you girls for posting .. :flowerforyou:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your transformation, I am in month two of my crossfit, and I can feel my body changing already. I want to be lean but not look too muscular, than is just not for me.

Good luck to you all
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    before anything happened:

nb2c06.jpg

with just eating alright and cardio (walking, running and swimming):

wkh75e.jpg

since adding in weight training (sorry, i had just come from the gym):

2wgb0v6.jpg
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Lots of totally inspiring photos and stories. I am so happy I started lifting. I can't wait to post my pics someday.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I don't lift as heavy as some on here (which I'm working towards) but lifting heavier than I ever thought i "should" as a girl (silly right?)

635EB8A0-2406-426F-917A-542B97757CA5-16034-000010AB3BE60476_zps3c00cb03.jpg
    B3A4FF9E-88F1-4936-A2BD-730D6B45DD4B-11762-000013B8E4DC1F8F_zps18b5c2ab.jpg
    fa469bd9-aea9-4815-9d5c-5cf166262961_zps74e4e976.jpg

Looking great!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    before anything happened:

nb2c06.jpg

with just eating alright and cardio (walking, running and swimming):

wkh75e.jpg

since adding in weight training (sorry, i had just come from the gym):

2wgb0v6.jpg

Killing it hon!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    to the op: How about ask your friend for one example of a woman who got "bulky"? Why is the burden of proof on on you?

"Send me pictures that PROVE the moon isnt made of swiss cheese!"
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My wife squatted 175 for 6 today @104lbs then did box squats, calf raises, and leg curls. She has been lifting heavy with me for more than a year now.
    She can bench 125, deadliest 185 for 3, and can rock out 8 pull ups and 10 dips.

NOT BULKY IN THE LEAST
    407215462.jpg407215461.jpg
    407215453.jpg
    407215452.jpg

The squat pic is not from today, just a good example. I also took the first two pics to show her how her shoulders are developing.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to lift weights and really don't know where to start. I ordered New Rules for Lifting and that should come soon. I am used to doing strength with 8lb dumbbells, so this is very new to me. I also have always done lots of cardio so I have big calorie burns. Weight weight lifting the burn is small that I feel like I should be eating much less.
    Anyone want to help me get started with this?
    How often do you lift weights?
    How often do you do cardio?

I follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program which has me lifting 3x a week.

I sometimes run on my off days from lifting, but that's just because I enjoy it. I've been slacking the department due to trying to focus on the lifting more, though.

The NROL book should lay everything out for you and explain everything. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!