• dccardew
    dccardew Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

:)
  • dccardew
    Options
    Has anyone else heard the phrase weight loss is 90% what we eat and 10% what we do, ie exercise? If this is true, then I've been placing way too much emphasis on exercise whilst wrongly thinking I could eat more

If you strictly want to lose (including muscle) then this is probably true. But for those who want to lose weight/fat while also maintaining or building muscle for a toned looking physique, then it's definitely much more exercise focused. Sorta like the "abs are made in the kitchen" quote which I disagree with and have disproved. Do I eat like crap? No. But I definitely am not as strict as I used to be with my food, yet if I up my ab circuits at the gym and continue eating as normal then, BAM - abs. Everything is different for each person though.

I also disagree with the opinion that abs are made in the kitchen. While I was eating whatever I wanted but exercising, nothing was happening. It's since I've started watching what I was eating and continued the exercise that I've developed my fantastic abs
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    dccardew wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard the phrase weight loss is 90% what we eat and 10% what we do, ie exercise? If this is true, then I've been placing way too much emphasis on exercise whilst wrongly thinking I could eat more

If you strictly want to lose (including muscle) then this is probably true. But for those who want to lose weight/fat while also maintaining or building muscle for a toned looking physique, then it's definitely much more exercise focused. Sorta like the "abs are made in the kitchen" quote which I disagree with and have disproved. Do I eat like crap? No. But I definitely am not as strict as I used to be with my food, yet if I up my ab circuits at the gym and continue eating as normal then, BAM - abs. Everything is different for each person though.

I also disagree with the opinion that abs are made in the kitchen. While I was eating whatever I wanted but exercising, nothing was happening. It's since I've started watching what I was eating and continued the exercise that I've developed my fantastic abs

And you disagree that "abs are made in the kitchen?"

You realize that it's a metaphor?
  • dccardew
    Options

Yes. You can't make the abs in the kitchen. You have to watch what you eat and work out in the gym. This is where my beautiful abs have come from
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I eat more when I work out intensely - but not really with the motivation to burn off calories. I fuel my body for my workouts. I eat more, but my body seems to use as energy to power my workouts instead of holding on as fat.

In general, reducing calories, you will lose weight. Your body will essentially become a smaller version of what it was before. If you want to look toned, lower body fat %, tighten up, look more sculpted...then you need to exercise. Strength train.

I always read about people cutting calories and slowing their metabolism. You have to be really careful about preserving muscle mass, particularly women over the age of 30 when it starts decreasing. I did an "inbody analysis" - basically a body composition thing that breaks down your body fat %, skeletal muscle mass, etc, and your BMR - Basal metabolic rate, how many calories you burn just existing.

My BMR is higher NOW than it was a year ago, even though my overall weight is down. Meaning I'm burning about an extra 150 calories a day at a smaller size as a result of lifting heavy and building muscle mass. Body fat % went down, muscle mass went up. A pound of muscle burns more at rest than a pound of fat does - and takes up less space.

So while I absolutely think you can lose weight by reducing calories only, or that you cannot train away a poor diet or out exercise eating too many calories, I am a huge proponent of adding strength training to your routine. Otherwise you drop weight, you lose muscle in the process, and risk slowing down your metabolism.

Great points, thank you. For sure i wanna trim down but not at the expense of muscle mass or my BMR. As I progress I will add strength training to my exercise routine whilst maintaining a balanced diet. Im 3 weeks in and realise that I have lots to learn, both in terms of nutrition and exercise programmes but I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Thx for all the replies! Lots of great info in there. I've been trying to keep a calorie deficit whilst eating much healthier along the way. At the same time I've really upped the activity levels but like many have said here, MFP or my iPhone is clearly overstating my steps/activity. I'll chalk some off this score in my head and overestimate my food intake, this will then be a truer reflection of my day and help me achieve my goals sooner

Don't overestimate your food intake. Keep it as accurate as possible.

If you are not losing to the goal you set eat back 75% of your exercise calories for a couple of weeks and see how the scale is moving. If you are losing too fast up the percentage, to slow; lower it.
    This will be a more accurate way for you to track into the future.
    Make adjustments with a plan and keep a log.

Food is always going to be constant- the value of 1g of a banana won't change no matter what your body weighs.

Exercise calorie burn changes constantly, effort, weight loss, change of activity, etc. This is the number you can play with to get a more accurate assessment of your caloric needs.

Cheers, h.
  • themetz3838
    Options
    Thx for all the replies! Lots of great info in there. I've been trying to keep a calorie deficit whilst eating much healthier along the way. At the same time I've really upped the activity levels but like many have said here, MFP or my iPhone is clearly overstating my steps/activity. I'll chalk some off this score in my head and overestimate my food intake, this will then be a truer reflection of my day and help me achieve my goals sooner

If you are not losing to the goal you set eat back 75% of your exercise calories for a couple of weeks and see how the scale is moving. If you are losing too fast up the percentage, to slow; lower it.

Food is always going to be constant- the value of 1g of a banana won't change no matter what your body weighs.

Exercise calorie burn changes constantly, effort, weight loss, change of activity, etc. This is the number you can play with to get a more accurate assessment of your caloric needs.

Cheers, h.

Hey, thx for the reply. Ive set MFP for a 1llb a week weight loss goal. Today is day 24 and I'm 8llbs down so I'm ahead of schedule. I wanted a decent start but I couldn't know how fast or slow the weight would come off. Should I continue as I am? My daily calorie target is 1900, I'm reluctant to increase this if I'm honest. I'm guessing the weight loss will slow as I progress, I'm keen to form new habits in my diet and activity levels so feel it's best to carry on as I am? This sound right?
  • themetz3838
    Options
    *Correction my calorie goal is 2100
  • dccardew
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes. You can't make the abs in the kitchen. You have to watch what you eat and work out in the gym. This is where my beautiful abs have come from

this is where the phrase comes from there sparky...you have to be lean to have visible abs...you can do all the ab work you want, but if you're a big fat *kitten* it doesn't matter...you won't have visible abs...dang people are...well...dense.

Hey dude. No need to be so rude. What I'm saying is, if you don't put in the work in the gym you'll never have fantastic abs like me. Try it boy, you surprise yourself x
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can make your calorie deficit either way, but if you're doing it by exercise alone it's going to take you a hell of a lot longer. I don't agree about the 10% though. I am 100% committed to my fitness which helps me stay about 90% on track with my macros. I know how much freaking effort I put in 7 days a week in the gym and I'm not about to ruin that by over eating
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Hey, thx for the reply. Ive set MFP for a 1llb a week weight loss goal. Today is day 24 and I'm 8llbs down so I'm ahead of schedule. I wanted a decent start but I couldn't know how fast or slow the weight would come off. Should I continue as I am? My daily calorie target is 1900, I'm reluctant to increase this if I'm honest. I'm guessing the weight loss will slow as I progress, I'm keen to form new habits in my diet and activity levels so feel it's best to carry on as I am? This sound right?

Continue eating at your 1lbs a week deficit and eat 50% of your exercise calories back. Adjust the exercise calories as needed after a couple of weeks so your deficit stays at 1lbs a week.
    As you lose weight remember to reassess your calorie needs every 5-10 lbs. we need less calories the lighter we are.

Cheers, h.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Also, the saying "you can't out train a *kitten* diet" exists for a reason. Just ask every powerlifter walking around with a pack of hotdogs on the back of his neck, and a wheeze when he walks.

I'm a powerlifter and can run 10 miles in under 90 mins so you can't just stereotype everyone based on the super heavy division. Most underclass powerlifters I know could easily be mistaken for body builders.

Of course, I may be misreading your post and you are only talking about the tanks of our sport.

Yeap, you read in a little further than I intended. There are the Dan Greenes, the Jesse Norrises, (and even further up, the Efferdings and Konstantinovs), but nah I was solely referring to the Jeff Lewises and Mark Henrys...though Henry was a beast in his 20s.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also, the saying "you can't out train a *kitten* diet" exists for a reason. Just ask every powerlifter walking around with a pack of hotdogs on the back of his neck, and a wheeze when he walks.

I'm a powerlifter and can run 10 miles in under 90 mins so you can't just stereotype everyone based on the super heavy division. Most underclass powerlifters I know could easily be mistaken for body builders.

Of course, I may be misreading your post and you are only talking about the tanks of our sport.

Yeap, you read in a little further than I intended. There are the Dan Greenes, the Jesse Norrises, (and even further up, the Efferdings and Konstantinovs), but nah I was solely referring to the Jeff Lewises and Mark Henrys...though Henry was a beast in his 20s.

But I'm fully confident that those guys could do the 100m in 10...minutes! :p

I remember when they called Mark Henry the Teen Mastodon that was just before he became an Olympic lifter and he was huge even at 16!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think the more you start seeing results in the gym, the more motivating it gets to eat well. When you start seeing how you are investing your time, effort, money into improving and strengthening your body, it gets motivating to protect your investment those other 23 hours of the day.

Also, your body is really good at adapting and becoming quite efficient at exercise. If you have been sedentary for a long time, just getting up and taking some brisk walks will probably be enough to get your heart rate up and burn a bunch of calories. Or running on the treadmill. Or whatever. So you can burn a lot quickly in the beginning. But it doesn't take long for your body to adapt and suddenly it takes a lot more time and work to burn as much as you used to, especially as your weight starts dropping. That's why I think HIIT is so good, strength training lifting progressively heavier, and mixing up your routines here and there. Always setting a little goal. And keeps you always working toward something. And not getting bored.
  • themetz3838
    Options
    I like your thinking leaninsc, our bodies and subsequently our health are the best investments we can ever make
  • Bjws13
    Bjws13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just remember guys this is not a competition. We are all here to support each other. Being fit isn't a destination it's a way of life. I am always hearing people say that they are going to "get fit for summer" which fair play but then what... being fit should be a way of life. I said earlier how abs are made in the kitchen and I do believe that, I believe that you should eat clean and train dirty, and definitely feel that you are what you eat.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

this is where the phrase comes from there sparky...you have to be lean to have visible abs...you can do all the ab work you want, but if you're a big fat *kitten* it doesn't matter...you won't have visible abs...dang people are...well...dense.

Hey dude. No need to be so rude. What I'm saying is, if you don't put in the work in the gym you'll never have fantastic abs like me. Try it boy, you surprise yourself x

1283717233675.jpg
  • Bjws13
    Bjws13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I disagreed with you man I believe the you need to eat clean as you can run off a bad diet.