• kinsella
    kinsella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Juice plus all the way, lose weight and keep it off
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    If your sole aim is weight loss then technically you don't need to exercise at all. Whilst exercise will definitely help with weight loss, (be careful how much extra you eat - mfp tends to way overestimate calories burned during exercise!), I'd suggest doing it for all the other benefits it brings which I'm sure I don't need to list out.

If you like your phrases here's another one for you: "skinny people look good in clothes. fit people look good naked!"

I find it interesting how the general thought that MFP tends to over estimate exercise calories has over time become MFP tends to way overestimate exercise calories. There are some exercise calorie burns that are overestimated, other that are underestimated, and others that are right on. I am not sure if way overestimation is true as I do know people who have used this site as designed, ate all their exercise calories as given by MFP, and lost their weight just fine.

To the OP, yes, weight loss is all about calorie control. A deficit can be established either by eating less or exercising more, or some combination of the two. Either way, it is necessary to make sure you are eating less calories than you burn.
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is juice plus? Will that speed up my weight loss program? @kinsella
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm agreeing with the consensus here. Losing weight is 100% 'diet' (restricting calories, though technically you can eat anything you want..just in small amounts. At least, that's what I'm starting with until I've lost more weight. I have 130 lb to lose, and I plan to wean myself into a healthier diet. Just recently I incorporated Brocolli with macaroni and cheese (as a side, not a main) when I never ate such a recipe before). If you want to eat more while dieting, or if you want to lose faster (for, example, if you reach a plateau and need a push to over come it), then yes, you should do cardio. Don't trust the MFP formula. The machines tend to have a good estimate of what you really burn. Use that, but only eat back a small portion of it.

I personally feel that, for me, it is 60% diet and 40% exercise. I feel less accomplished if I don't exercise. I do skip the gym every once in a while, but I always return. Besides, I'm sure the cardio and strength training will help me look the way I want to look once I lose all the fat.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I used to believe it was all about CICO and it didn't matter about exercise and if all you're interested in is seeing the scales go down then yes maybe that's true, but 2 weeks ago I tried on a pair of jeans and they were too tight to sit in, I tried them again today and they fit and are almost too big. The scales say I've only lost 1lb in the last 2 weeks, so I know that is down to the exercising I've been doing to slim down my waist and not any weight I've lost.
  • kinsella
    kinsella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes themetz3838 it's great! It's full of all the daily goodness your body needs!!! No need to worry about all the "this eat and eat that crap"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Bjws13 wrote: »
    Just remember guys this is not a competition. We are all here to support each other. Being fit isn't a destination it's a way of life. I am always hearing people say that they are going to "get fit for summer" which fair play but then what... being fit should be a way of life. I said earlier how abs are made in the kitchen and I do believe that, I believe that you should eat clean and train dirty, and definitely feel that you are what you eat.

"Get fit for summer" only applies when one puts on their winter coat for the first part of the year for bulking weeks. ;)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is a good indication of weight loss. As much as it's mentally rewarding to see the number on the scale go down, body fat % changes and inches can show more of the picture.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've heard 80/20, but there's value to exercise beyond weight loss. Exercise strengthens your heart, lowers your cholesterol, and exercise can increase mobility for older people. Like, start exercising before you get old, increase your strength, and you will be more mobile when you're old. Exercise is huge for your health even if it alone is unlikely to solve weight problems.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    People like to apply percentages and numbers to things even when it makes absolutely no sense to apply percentages and numbers to things.

Well 80% like applying numbers and 20% just make them up anyway. ;)

Well 70% of people agree with me while the remaining 30% are terrorists.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, actually. I am one of those folks who requires very few calories to maintain - if I want to lose weight, I definitely need to increase the CO part of the CICO equation in order to maintain health.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Also, the saying "you can't out train a *kitten* diet" exists for a reason.

People aren't very good at thinking critically, but can regurgitate slogans they've seen on bumper stickers?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Bjws13 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.

I disagreed with you man I believe the you need to eat clean as you can run off a bad diet.

If you create a deficit you will lose weight. How you create it doesnt matter, its still CICO. Im having tacos tonight but I did Insanity today and a long walk so I'll still be in a deficit and on track for my goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I had an active job and active lifestyle, I was naturally in maintenance. Since my active job days are likely behind me, I'll always have to exercise in order to get enough calories to make me happy.
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If only my calorie deficit was as large as my bank account deficit it'd be plain sailing.

CICO all the way from here.