Replies

• Bjws13
    Bjws13 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Bjws13 wrote: »
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.
    I believe it should be 100% deficit. Whether you achieve that through diet or exercise doesnt matter as long as you are burning more than you consume.

I disagreed with you man I believe the you need to eat clean as you can run off a bad diet.

If you create a deficit you will lose weight. How you create it doesnt matter, its still CICO. Im having tacos tonight but I did Insanity today and a long walk so I'll still be in a deficit and on track for my goals.

I couldn't agree more that you need to burn more than you consume, but if however your consuming 7000 calories a day because your having a McDonalds for breakfast and a takeaway for dinner you wouldn't be able to burn that off on a daily basis, which is why I am saying eating clean it the way forwards.

Also what does CICO mean.?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I disagreed with you man I believe the you need to eat clean as you can run off a bad diet.

If you create a deficit you will lose weight. How you create it doesnt matter, its still CICO. Im having tacos tonight but I did Insanity today and a long walk so I'll still be in a deficit and on track for my goals.

I couldn't agree more that you need to burn more than you consume, but if however your consuming 7000 calories a day because your having a McDonalds for breakfast and a takeaway for dinner you wouldn't be able to burn that off on a daily basis, which is why I am saying eating clean it the way forwards.

But if you eat McDonalds and takeaway and stay within your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

CICO is Calories In = Calories Out
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

And 7000 calories of "clean food"?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

If you can eat 7000 calories of McDonald's then you need a help in many ways! :joy:

CICO mean Calories In/Calories Out and is the basic idea of an energy balance between what you consume and what you do throughout the day.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I look at this way: I can run a 5K in 30 minutes and burn perhaps 300 calories. I can then buy a large KitKat at the corner store and cancel out that entire run in about 30 seconds. So, the "effect size" of food is much more pronounced than exercise. And my understanding (CMIIW) is that as you get trimmer and more fit, the effect size of food will increase even more, while it decreases for activity.

It decreases slightly but not that much. The difference for 50lbs running for 5K is about 50 calories and the difference in BMR is also only about 250 - 300 calories per day depending on sex. However, one interesting thing is that when you have a low BF% you have a higher propensity to add muscle than fat and this is reversed at a high BF%. As well, those with a lower BF% burn more calories per pound of body weight due to having a higher fat free mass index. So nothing is really that simple.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yea, I actually eat more at a smaller size than I did before. I feel like I'm in burn mode all the time. I don't go testing it too often, but I have a metabolism now. But when you are trying to change your body composition, decrease body fat, increase muscle, not just shrink to a smaller size, it's more than just calories in, calories out mentality.
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I see an increase in muscle mass, reduced body fat and a subsequent higher metabolic rate then I certainly won't complain if this leaves more scope for the odd indulgence here and there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I would say....

weight loss is 100% diet

fitness and strength is 100% exercise

both are equally as important to the overall package that is you.
    So this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    People like to apply percentages and numbers to things even when it makes absolutely no sense to apply percentages and numbers to things.

Well 80% like applying numbers and 20% just make them up anyway. ;)

Well 70% of people agree with me while the remaining 30% are terrorists.

@Wheelhouse15 and @Aaron_K123 are my new favorite posters.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options

If one ate 7000 calories of clean food, they'd likely not lose weight either. Jay Cutler (a multi time Mr. Olympia winner) ate "clean" daily to put on mass. Like 5000 calories a day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I would say....

weight loss is 100% diet

fitness and strength is 100% exercise

both are equally as important to the overall package that is you.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Just my humble opinion, but anyone who decides to do 0% exercise and lose their weight based on simple calorie reduction (food) is destined to gain the weight back later. For me it's 50/50. If I exercise as much as I can handle long term, then I can eat more of what I like and still keep my calories under control. This is something I can maintain going forward permanently so I don't expect to gain the weight back. So I exercise, burn calories so that I can eat more AND I adjusted to a healthier diet but don't deny myself the good things all the time.

No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but do you really want to gain it back again after the diet is over? Sure, you can learn new habits, but without exercise it means eating differently the rest of your life and counting calories. For me, that's no good.
  • desidelay
    desidelay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly, weight loss is all diet. With that said, I find it easier to maintain weight loss when you have a decent amount of lean muscle. For instance, two years ago I lost 20 lbs with zero exercise. I kept it off for a few months by maintaining an impeccable diet until on halloween I decided to indulge in 3 fun size chocolate bars.... The next day I literally gained 6 lbs. It was so hard to lose it and ultimately I gained all the weight back. In the last 6 months, I have started cardio and strength training. I have lost 13 lbs so far (10 to go) and occasionally I indulge in sweets and "less healthy" foods. I have been able to easily maintain my weight loss even with the occasional treats due to my increased metabolism (due to lean muscle mass). Exercise helps if you want to have a sustainable lifestyle and weight loss... As someone who has lost and gained 20 lbs constantly over the last decade, I HIGHLY recommend to add at least some strength training into your routine.... It will make life a lot easier and it is good for you :smiley:
  • Bjws13
    Options
    I don't think you would be able to eat that much clean in a day as the portions would be way too big.
  • Bjws13
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

If one ate 7000 calories of clean food, they'd likely not lose weight either. Jay Cutler (a multi time Mr. Olympia winner) ate "clean" daily to put on mass. Like 5000 calories a day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't think you would be able to eat that much clean in a day as the portions would be way too big.

You can add a ton of oil or butter to your foods. Unless you think that's not clean.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Calories In Calories Out.

You can eat whatever you want as long as you maintain your deficit. You dont need to eat "clean". Lots of people lose weight eating junk food. Its not what I would recommend as a daily lifestyle mainly for other health reasons but you can still lose weight that way as long as you burn more than you eat.
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    7000 calories consumed clean!? Geez, you'd be chewing the cud longer than an Aberdeen Angus cow to get through that much. Plus the subsequent methane will get you banned from the gym in no time, so it'll be solo training in the great outdoors for anyone attempting that challenge
  • lanagetsskinny
    lanagetsskinny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Think to yourself, would work out in the gym for ages every day and eat junk food. The answer is no. It's pretty common sense