Weight loss is 90% food, 10% exercise?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any healthy snack tips for between meals, afternoons are hardest for me
    I typically have a carb only for my afternoon meal so I usually have either 1/2 cup oatmeal, 5oz sweet potato, ezekiel pita and salsa, 1/2 cup brown rice, or 2oz whole grain pasta salad. Fills me, satisfying, keeps my blood sugar level steady, and holds me over until dinner. That is what has been working for me. 3pm used to be my most sluggish time of day. Sometimes I grab a quest bar if I'm on the go, but I try to stick with real food whenever possible.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give those a try. I have lunch at 12 then dinner at 6 ( work dictates ) and it's too long for me to go. I really struggle to go beyond 4 hours without something. So around 3 I'm chomping at the bit lol. I've tried snacking on fruit but it's like it doesn't even register
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I typically eat about four times a day, every 3.5-4 hours. Just when I start getting hungry again, it's usually time for my next meal. Breakfast, lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner. I think oats kind of keep me full the most because they are so slow digesting. If I have to bring a meal with me, I like ezekiel pita bread or ezekiel english muffins. They are good with salsa or hummus.

It has worked for me to kind of plan out my four meals of the day and portion them, instead of grazing/snacking all day long. It also helped me get a pretty good idea of serving sizes. And if I go off track for a meal, eat out, or have a social event, it's mentally easier for me to just jump right back into my routine for the next meal.
  • themetz3838
    Options
    Eating 4 times a day could well be the answer, if I can shuffle things round at work and push dinner slightly to the right I could manage a similar routine. 4 hours is my natural hunger cycle, if not slightly quicker.

I haven't tried Ezekiel bread or pita before but I'm willing to try anything if it keeps me fuller for longer, thanks.

@Derpy_Hooves next time I'm in H&B I'll grab some and give it a try, thx
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eating 4 times a day could well be the answer, if I can shuffle things round at work and push dinner slightly to the right I could manage a similar routine. 4 hours is my natural hunger cycle, if not slightly quicker.

I haven't tried Ezekiel bread or pita before but I'm willing to try anything if it keeps me fuller for longer, thanks.

@Derpy_Hooves next time I'm in H&B I'll grab some and give it a try, thx

i'm not going to lie... ezekial bread kind of tastes like chewing on a boot. That along with rugbrød, my god. I guess my point in saying this is.... you should give it a try to see if it helps with your hunger levels. But i would purchase one product at a time before going all in. ;)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've heard way too many people say, I've started working out, why am I not losing? In fact I've gained! Versus, I started eating at a modest deficit, and I've lost weight. I thought it would be harder.

Every person I know who has attempted to lose weight through excercise as gained. Most overestimate calories burned.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think the ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffins are delicious.

I would say ezekiel pita is my favorite - better than the breads. I find the pita bread at whole foods. I do think Alvarado Street sprouted bread tastes better than ezekiel. But give them a try, see what you think!

Also, I don't think there is one right way to do this, in terms of meal timing, or what to eat, or anything really. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it! Planning out meals helps me stay on track. That doesn't mean I never go off it or don't make exceptions. I do. I have a social life and don't live out of tupperware. Just that having some structure with some go-to meal ideas helped me get a good routine going. It helps me plan my day out as well. I have a plan, but I'm also flexible as needed. But when I started doing consistently, it turned into positive habits instead of things I spend energy thinking about or having to get motivated, if that makes any sense.
  • themetz3838
    Options
    Chewing on a boot! Lmao @rainbowbow got me laughing hard, probably burnt a few calories!

@leaninsc the cinnamon ones sound good. Planning is massive, fail to prepare and all that makes life tougher for sure.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I look at this way: I can run a 5K in 30 minutes and burn perhaps 300 calories. I can then buy a large KitKat at the corner store and cancel out that entire run in about 30 seconds. So, the "effect size" of food is much more pronounced than exercise. And my understanding (CMIIW) is that as you get trimmer and more fit, the effect size of food will increase even more, while it decreases for activity.

It decreases slightly but not that much. The difference for 50lbs running for 5K is about 50 calories and the difference in BMR is also only about 250 - 300 calories per day depending on sex. However, one interesting thing is that when you have a low BF% you have a higher propensity to add muscle than fat and this is reversed at a high BF%. As well, those with a lower BF% burn more calories per pound of body weight due to having a higher fat free mass index. So nothing is really that simple.

The difference in BMR (only about 250 calories per day) can mean 2 lbs a month weight gain, or 12 lbs a year, without changing diet ... this may be why aging related muscle loss can translate into weight gain creep over a decade.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I look at this way: I can run a 5K in 30 minutes and burn perhaps 300 calories. I can then buy a large KitKat at the corner store and cancel out that entire run in about 30 seconds. So, the "effect size" of food is much more pronounced than exercise. And my understanding (CMIIW) is that as you get trimmer and more fit, the effect size of food will increase even more, while it decreases for activity.

It decreases slightly but not that much. The difference for 50lbs running for 5K is about 50 calories and the difference in BMR is also only about 250 - 300 calories per day depending on sex. However, one interesting thing is that when you have a low BF% you have a higher propensity to add muscle than fat and this is reversed at a high BF%. As well, those with a lower BF% burn more calories per pound of body weight due to having a higher fat free mass index. So nothing is really that simple.

The difference in BMR (only about 250 calories per day) can mean 2 lbs a month weight gain, or 12 lbs a year, without changing diet ... this may be why aging related muscle loss can translate into weight gain creep over a decade.

If you aren't adjusting then that would be true but most people understand when they are gaining weight so they could adjust if they wanted to. Perhaps most don't care to adjust until it's a huge gain?

An interesting side note is that the age-related muscle loss is rather minor but inactivity is what really causes the muscle loss. I heard a physiologist who was dealing with age-related muscle loss giving an interview a month or so ago and she said that a 70 year old who was active all their life would have almost as much muscle fibre as an 18 year old but the difference between an active an inactive 70 year old can be massive. It might surprise a lot of people to hear this but when you see a video of an 83 year old man at 150 pounds deadlifting 450 pounds in a powerlifting competition you can understand that activity is so very important, especially weight training.
  • themetz3838
    Options
    An 83 year old man deadlifting 450 pounds is awesome for sure, fair play
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yeah, 3x body weight and 3 white lights! I need to find the video, it's on IG somewhere.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    I've heard way too many people say, I've started working out, why am I not losing? In fact I've gained! Versus, I started eating at a modest deficit, and I've lost weight. I thought it would be harder.

Every person I know who has attempted to lose weight through excercise as gained. Most overestimate calories burned.

I don't trust those calorie burner counters on the treadmills. Wouldn't surprise me if they were all overstated, which would be in the interest of the manufacturer and the interest of the gym.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I found this video of the event he was actually 84 here. This wasn't his final lift because I saw another video where he was doing 450 and jumped around at the end. This one is about 430 pounds so still absolutely amazing when you consider that most young guys at 150lbs couldn't do that and many of his contemporaries are mobility impaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWW6vTML3qk
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    but anyone who decides to do 0% exercise and lose their weight based on simple calorie reduction (food) is destined to gain the weight back later.
    Absofreakinlutely not. Nope. No way. Many have successfully lost weight with just a calorie reduction and kept it off successfully due to not being able to exercise.

The reason why some gain weight back is due to their lack of knowledge when it comes to maintenance.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options
    but anyone who decides to do 0% exercise and lose their weight based on simple calorie reduction (food) is destined to gain the weight back later.
    Absofreakinlutely not. Nope. No way. Many have successfully lost weight with just a calorie reduction and kept it off successfully due to not being able to exercise.

The reason why some gain weight back is due to their lack of knowledge when it comes to maintenance.

Well, "some" is more like 90% gain back their weight but that's for everyone. I'm not so sure it's about a lack of knowledge for most but rather a lack of motivation to keep going for the long haul.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Well, "some" is more like 90% gain back their weight but that's for everyone. I'm not so sure it's about a lack of knowledge for most but rather a lack of motivation to keep going for the long haul.
    Absolutely, this too. I know, for me regarding past weight loss, I had no idea about maintenance and gained the weight back, which also caused me to give up.

• themetz3838
    Options

I found this video of the event he was actually 84 here. This wasn't his final lift because I saw another video where he was doing 450 and jumped around at the end. This one is about 430 pounds so still absolutely amazing when you consider that most young guys at 150lbs couldn't do that and many of his contemporaries are mobility impaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWW6vTML3qk

Incredible, thx for posting the video