October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Loved reading your recount of your marathon. I've got it in my head I want to do one next year (but may reevaluate) and reading this has really inspired me. Congrats!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 I really like running 80/20. Not following a set plan right now, since I have like 7 months to train, but I'm working hard on keeping at that z2 level for most runs. Haven't added the 20 part back yet since I'm base building.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Way to go!! Congrats on your 1st marathon!! (And yes, I did read the entire race report.) :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Quick check in, as I have visitors but did go for a run this evening whilst Mum had a nap! That was my fastest run longer than 5km since my PB 10km in February, and means I finally made it to 80 miles in a month without injury or illness. Except that I did have both of those things this month but no excuses, no moaning, just enjoying my running and being sensible when those things hit :smiley:

October Running Challenge

2nd - 13.19 miles
    5th - 3.01 miles
    6th - 3.14 miles
    8th - 3.05 miles
    9th - 5.22 miles
    11th - 3.11 miles
    13th - 5.24 miles
    15th - 3.5 miles
    16th - 2.79 miles
    18th - 3.35 miles
    20th - 3.56 miles
    22nd - 5.32 miles
    23rd - 5.20 miles
    25th - 3.24 miles
    26th - 5.01 miles
    28th - 6.12 miles
    30th - 5.02 miles

MTD - 81.07/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Way to go @_nikkiwolf_ !!! I have decided that I want to run a half next year!!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st marathon, @_nikkiwolf_! Great job!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Took an unplanned running rest day yesterday to give my quads an extra day to recover, then went out for a nice easier mid-80s weather 13 miler this afternoon as the timing was convenient, and I'm not 100% sure where the forecast is going to come out for my Ironman marathon (starting around 1:35PM) next Saturday. My heart rate stayed consistent until the mile 12 where it started spiking due to the heat, but I think with enough mid-race hydration and ice at water stations, I'll be able to control for it. On the plus side, zero soreness in my legs after the run, so I think my left quad is back to 100%.

Planning an easy/recovery pace 5 miler for tomorrow, then will follow my usual Tue-5, Wed-0, Thu-0, Fri-3@MP pre-marathon taper plan.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles
    10/5 - 4 mile
    10/8 - 3 miles
    10/9 - 26.2 miles (3:04:57 - Chicago marathon, 7:03 pace)
    10/13 - 4 miles
    10/15 - 6 miles
    10/17 - 12 miles
    10/18 - 5 miles
    10/20 - 8 miles
    10/21 - 6 miles
    10/22 - 15 miles
    10/23 - 6 miles
    10/25 - 4 miles
    10/26 - 6 miles
    10/28 - 8 miles
    10/30 - 13 miles

Total: 147 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Done!

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
    Hard to keep up with all these posts!
    Speaking of Chicago, is anybody else miffed or frustrated about the surprise really early application/registration for next year? I don't think I'm entering into the lottery because of it. I haven't even paid off my speeding ticket I got when I went out for this year's race yet, haha.

I'm a bit surprised at how early it is, and given it isn't a priority race for me, having to register now will likely make it a no for next year. Too many other big fall marathons I'd like to try at some point (Marine Corps, NYC, Berlin), and timing (vs. 2017 Ironman) is still TBD.

@_nikkiwolf_ - Big congrads on your first full marathon! Looks like a nice hard consistent pace and glad you seemed to enjoy the experience! Don't forget to fully recover and savor a few well earned rest days before lacing up the shoes again. Lots of good online resources on that front.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congratulations! Sounds like a great run! I can't imagine doing the full. Way to go girly!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @_nikkiwolf_ !!! Way to conquer your first marathon. That's a great time. I enjoyed reading your whole recap. I can't believe the 4:30 pacer's behavior. I've never run a race with a pacer, but aren't people supposed to be able to count on them to, I don't know, run a steady advertised pace?!?! You look great in your picture too! Relax and refuel and enjoy your post-race glory.

I didn't run today, but I did a 2-hour hike with Stella. I needed to giver her a chance to do her doggie thing and to really tire her out, so we walked. I intended to get a short run in later, but it rained all the rest of the day so it didn't happen. It's all right, I'm ending up the month with more running miles than I projected (62.3 out of 50 so far) and my steps per day average is my second highest in the last 12 months. So I definitely got a log of walking/hiking in even though the running wasn't as high. Hopefully I'll get one more run in for October yet, though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty you've made aamazing progress!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @_nikkiwolf_ ! You look beautiful and relaxed at the finish. What a wonderful accomplishment!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats @_nikkiwolf_ on your first marathon!! I loved the recap; great details! That 4:30 pacer sounds like a nightmare though... they aren't supposed to be standing/cheering and dashing back and forth, they're supposed to lead a pack through to a 4:29-4:30 finish time! At least you had her to entertain you now and again on the course? lol
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    For all ya'all experienced marathoners... I'm making an outline of my training, starting this week, through my Marathon, just as a general guide. Right now, I am doing just easy running, until probably January. When I start adding in fast running, what all do you recommend? I'm penciling in some Tempo Runs and a couple Yasso 800s, just because, but what else might be good? Oh, also looking at doing some of those crazy @kristinegift GMP/GHMP runs also.

I have no actual time expectatio, so the speed workouts are more to split up the routine, and fill in the 20 part of 80/20.

Thanks

@MNLittleFinn To be honest, all you need is miles and more miles. At this point, I would not even worry about tempo runs. Yasson 800's are anaerobic and really won't help you in a first time marathon. If you want to add in faster running, I would start with bursts or strides and fartleks. Once you get your weekly mileage build up near peak, then maybe add 1 day per week of tempo runs. If you got hills on your marathon, running some hills once a week will do you better than any anaerobic type of workout. That's about all you need. Anything else you do will zap your energy that could be used in building more mileage or building your aerobic base.

Mileage will make your body stronger so you can work on what you really need, getting your body used to using fat for energy. Those come from running long slow miles for 90-150 minutes straight. Most of those miles I ran I did first thing in the morning fasted (I'm not much of a breakfast person, only coffee).

The keys for any first time marathoner:

Making your body stronger for time on your feet
    Building up your aerobic capability
    Transition to becoming an efficient fat burner

That's my big 3.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congratulations. Great job on your first marathon. Speaking of weird things eating before a marathon, I actually have a baked potato before my last few major races including last year's RCM.

Congrats @_nikkiwolf_ on your first marathon!! I loved the recap; great details! That 4:30 pacer sounds like a nightmare though... they aren't supposed to be standing/cheering and dashing back and forth, they're supposed to lead a pack through to a 4:29-4:30 finish time! At least you had her to entertain you now and again on the course? lol

Yes, very true. But if they keep you entertained and relaxed, that is a bonus. Had a pair of pacers that I ran with at last year's RCM that were cracking jokes the whole time. And every time we come up to a spirit group (RCM has set groups on certain points on the course to provide "spirit"), our pacers encouraged us to out spirit the spirit group. hahahaha They were fun to run with which helps keep you relaxed.

So spirit groups on the RCM course would be like a marching band or a drum & bugle corps, the boy scouts had a spirit group and were handing out aid and stuff, a couple live bands playing rock music, one guy had a loud boom box playing Rocky music, and different things like that.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Congratulations on finishing your first marathon in the time you planned!

On the hydration vs. port-a-potty subject, a buddy of mine has a cautionary tale. He didn't want to stop for the port-a-pot during Boston 2014, so he controlled fluid intake. Except he controlled it too well, was way slow the last 10K or so, and ended up in the medical tent with an IV for dehydration. All at 50° F (10°C). He now says that taking the time for the port-a-potty is more comfortable and loses very little time compared to being under-hydrated.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    October Running Totals (miles)
    10/1 – rest day
    10/2 – 0.56 test run (big mistake)
    10/3 – no running day
    10/4 – no running day
    10/5 – no running day
    10/6 – no running day
    10/7 – no running day
    10/8 – no running day
    10/9 – no running day
    10/10 –no running day
    10/11 – 0.55 run/walk intervals
    10/12 – rest day
    10/13 – 0.56 run/walk intervals
    10/14 – rest day
    10/15 – rest day
    10/16 – 0.85 run/walk intervals
    10/17 – rest day
    10/18 – 0.83 run/walk intervals
    10/19 – rest day
    10/20 – 1.17 run/walk intervals
    10/21 – rest day
    10/22 – 1.53 run/walk intervals
    10/23 – 1.52 run/walk intervals
    10/24 – rest day
    10/25 – 1.43 easy
    10/26 – 1.53 easy
    10/27 – 1.42 easy
    10/28 – rest day
    10/29 – 1.82 easy
    10/30 – 2.00 easy

October total to date – 15.77

Nominal Challenge Goal – no stated distance
    Real Goal: Return to regular running

Today's notes – Today I wanted to run 2 miles. It was a big deal psychologically. Sunday morning is pretty sedentary, and I made sure to do stretching-type exercise for the calf, then set out in a drizzle at 48° F (9° C) about 3 PM. I had 2 miles in the leg, barely; quit running right when the Garmin ticked over 2 miles. 8:39 first mile, 9:02 second mile. That's slow for me, and the odd thing is that, in contrast to yesterday's slightly faster run in nicer weather, my HR was more like I was running MP. I've seen this before when running injured. I don't know why my HR goes up some of the time and not others running similar terrain in similar physical condition.

Concentrated on my stretching afterward, and the sore calf/Achilles recovered nicely. But I don't think I'm going to try to run more than 2 miles until the last part of 2 miles feels noticeably better than it did today. I'll just have to see how long it takes to get to where over 2 miles feels reasonable.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 11, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Roger that. I'll probably just stick with slow miles all around this time. AAn fast stuff, if I do it, is going to be for boredom relief

This is why I love coming here. Good and honest advice.

Edit: about hills. "according to strava" The Long Runs I have mapped in the 18-20 mile range all have equivalent or greater elevation than the marathon as it is mapped, though I know, from looking at other people's logs of running it, that the mapped elevation is greater than the recorded elevations. So, I guess I'm saying, I have hills planned into my long runs, as well as doing some hill repeats.....Sorry, long edit to add
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I know right? I'm absolutely amazed by what I've been able to do. I remember struggling to get to 2 miles, and now I'm running 4 times that distance! I may actually be able to run a HM after all..
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I know right? I'm absolutely amazed by what I've been able to do. I remember struggling to get to 2 miles, and now I'm running 4 times that distance! I may actually be able to run a HM after all..

I thought the same thing! You've made some great progress!