Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Kellly great pictures.

Thank you for all the feedback on My Mom's tribute. I made minor changes because of you to improve the tribute. I"ll give it a day or two and read it to a couple more friends before the final version is read at my mother's memorial.

Can you email me this❤️ thanks Gayle. Are you up to coffee, let me know
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-
    rowing machine- 20min 51aw 3173meters
    10# ball bounce- 10min, 3sets 40ea, throwing up, 40 slamming down
    Stairclimber - 15min 4.6flpmin 481ft 173aw 70fl
    Bosu ball- 23min- 7# and 10# weights
    stretch- 6min
    Total cal 543
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    Options
    Our clocks go back tonight. Most people think, Yippee, another hour in bed, but I've been waking up at 5.30 for several days. :( I think I'll take a Nytol, which usually makes me a bit groggy in the morning.

Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rita gorgeous pic, what a wonderful memory to share with your mother.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Margaret, loved your tribute to you Mom. I wish I could write like that. All I can say is that I loved her.

Heather, I love how long Bea's hair is getting. Was your other grand daughter's hair like that.

Lillian, I wish you could come down to southern Indiana. We aren't having record highs but darn near records. Our record is 85 and we are at 82 each day. I can just imagine what Halloween day will be with an afternoon temp of 82.

Joyce, Indiana where I did early voting today
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Heather: Bea is such a happy child. She raises my spirits...thank you for sharing.

Kelly: What a marvelous imagination you have. Sure wish that I'd had someone like you available when I needed childcare!

Margaret: What special memories you have of your mom. Thank you for helping us to know her a little

Sue in WA: Doc's aren't sure what is causing the issue. Now trying a combination of different strategies to see if they will heal.

Rita: Wow!

Re: Lend me about 10 % of that energy!

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Oct:
    - Increase walking now that the hamstring has healed
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA – If you can figure out how to bottle up (or send) some of that rain down to GA (SW, especially) we can sure use it. We are having ‘drought’ conditions; but, not to the point of water rationing or worrying about wells drying up; but, ours is pretty deep. I’d think our DOS’s would dry up before ours would.

CaringBridges.org is a wonderful way for a family member that needs to get updates of their loved one's 'condition' to many friends and family members and to be able to update them with news. Nephew-in-Law is so computer savvy it isn't even funny. His job is writing programs, so he knows all about other apps. My DBnL (oldest sister's husband) had a stroke and they are in 'Miami'; but, live in Peachtree City, GA. My niece set up a page for my BnL so we will know what is happening. Sister and BnL were with a couple and the man was crossing off things on his "Bucket List"; they had been in Key West, they have gone to a Jai Lai game. BnL got up during the night and fell in the bathroom. Sister sleeps with a C-pap and heard the noise, just did not associate it with anything until she reached over and hubby was not in bed. She had dozed off; got up and found him face down in the bathroom in a pool of blood. She went out into the hall screaming for help. Got it almost immediately. One team for BnL; and one for sister. Said that a young black woman slide down the wall with her to hug her and tell her 'everything is going to be ok mama'. Niece said that 'angels' comes in so many different ways and forms. Sister (middle) lives in Miami, so she had family with her almost immediately. Nephew called his cousins and told them they needed to come down and be with their mother. Nephew-in-law made all the plane and hotel arrangements and then called other niece and told her what was going on. They were on a plane in less than 3 hours. They live on the opposite side of Atlanta from the big airport.

He was talking and joking with the MDs this morning; when the girls came in, he recognized them and told them that 'he loved them'. MDs told sister that the bleed that DBnL had was the worst, and most extensive one they had ever seen. Six hours of surgery to repair the damage. Bleeding from the ears, also bleed in head from his forehead all the way over his head and almost to the vein that goes to the inside jugular vein. It is still 'touch and go' for him and the next 48 - 72 hours will be critical. I don't think that the nieces will ever be able to get their mother to go to hotel and rest some. She hasn't left the ICU. They have him on several medications, including one for seizures ... all that could happen if they try to take him off one medication. Hitting his head when he fell has been another issue to deal with. They put him on the seizure meds, which must be protocol for stroke victims. To take him off them, could cause a seizure; blood thinners and all together. Please keep them in your prayers. Thanks.

Lenora

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Found a small digital scale today that I didn't know I even had. Looks like I will get to see how well I have been judging portions.
    k28046.png

Worked outside most of the day cleaning up flower beds and moving hanging plant cages from the deck into the garage for the winter. Planted a funny little pine tree out back that is called a 'Green Penguin Pine' because its shaped like a little green penguin. I hope it makes it. I usually don't plant trees or bushes in the fall but one of the local plant nurseries was closing today till next Spring and everything was deeply discounted. This little guy was dirt cheap. :D

Charleen in Colorado (It's too warm and too dry here. Looking for winter and snow)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Gayle I will e-mail the tribute to you when I finish the final tweaks in a day or two. I have a couple friends I want to read it to and see if they have anything to add. Coffee sounds great.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Heather: I'm in an earlier time zone than home and it is two hours earlier here than there. I have home time on my watch and local time on my phone. I didn't have any noticeable trouble coming here so I doubt that the change to standard time will be a problem. If I had to report to a job at a specific time, I would likely have a different attitude. :bigsmile:

Rita: Gorgeous photo! :flowerforyou:

I did yoga with my two year old grandson this evening. We had a grand time. I love my daughter and my grandchildren but I can hardly wait to go home. I miss my husband, our dog, and our regular routine. There are four more days until I fly home. As you can see, I'm counting the days. I will get to see the grandchildren all dressed up for Halloween and might get to go along for trick or treat. I need to ask about that.

Katla temporarily in Illinois

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thanks Karen for the word of the day - pedantic. I had to look it up - sounds like an anchor around your neck. My sympathies :'(
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lenora - forgiving someone doesn't mean you are never going to be angry with them again - believe me I know. Even though I told my son that I had forgiven him for the mess he left the boys and I in doesn't mean I don't get angry when something happens with the boys that I know is because of what their mom and dad have done to them. Letting go of it takes practice - I personally have to stop and ask God for help and I know it's not going to happen overnight. praying-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif

In regards to CaringBridge - when my sister had her first operation for pancreatic cancer my DBiL started a CaringBridge journal for her. For 5 yrs we (her family and friends) followed her through the good times and bad times of her illness. She had well over a hundred followers and my wonderful DBiL read her every word that we all sent to her. When she passed away I told my DBiL that their journal should be published to help others live gracefully and joyfully while they fought their cancer. angel-with-wings-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Gloworm Add my kudos to the chorus. Your grandchildren are truly blessed.

Penny LOL! Yeah, those Samsungs are hot right now. I hear they are having a fire sale! :D

Cheri Glad you are safely back home! 170301c7zifsub1b.gif

Heather Yeah, I did have to work, as my husband and I separated when my son was about 3. I had several options, including welfare, school, and work. I accepted free lunches for my son for 4 years while I went to school, but no welfare, frugally living on child support and money my grandmother left me. We made it through 4 years of school on $400/mo child support which covered the rent, and money my grandmother left me for all other expenses for the 4 years. I budgeted $200/mo for gas, auto maintenance, food, clothes, books, pediatrician visits, etc. Took out loans for tuition. I had about $150 left and large loan balances when I started working. Now I have a comfortable life and make a good salary, but can't stop working quite yet, as there is still a mortgage and a car payment. My partner does not make a high salary. It's a shame, because she has an important job that just doesn't pay very well. :/

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Wonderful day yesterday. I cajoled my grandson into coming over for the afternoon, along with my granddaughter (who needs no convincing). I mentioned in my last post that my grandson doesn't like to come over because I limit his screen time. We played Legos and looked at his Pokemon cards, and talked about his difficulties at school. I told him how much I hated 4th grade, and how awful my teacher was, and how it made me stronger in the long run. And after awhile he said, "I'm glad I came over, Grammy." Music to my ears! Couldn't believe it! In the meantime, granddaughter was busy making homemade dog biscuits with my partner. Then we put on Halloween costumes and went to a party at my partner's son's house for kids. They painted and decorated pumpkins. Grandson found another Ninja and did some eye narrowing and posturing, then had a mock sword and Ninja star fight. Then we went to Italian dinner with Grandpa, and grandson went with Grandpa to stay all night. Granddaughter stayed here. The dogs are in heaven. They love her more than they love me! It warms my heart. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, my peeples...

Thanks for all the positive comments re: changing my job to part time or removing myself altogether. It's amazing to have support both online and off. I've been giving it a lot of thought--and hope it doesn't wreck an old friendship, but am willing to take the risk. I ended up glad I didn't talk to my boss on Friday. It was her birthday weekend, and her husband took her down to Austin for the weekend. They've been having their struggles, as well, in their marriage, so it was good to see a Facebook pic of them smiling and together. Unusual of late.

The good part, at least for me, is that either part-time or walking away, I get what I need and want--less pressure, and room to do what I must for myself. My own health is more important than the paper--and I lost sight of that over the last six months. If I were able to do anything by halves, my life would be much more placid. Boring, but placid!

And, on that note--the small farmstead is still the goal. If the warehouse sells, it will move the timing up, but even if it doesn't, we will be able to get there, just slower than we had hoped. Patience is not my strong suit, but it won't kill me. I've bought a web address, homesteadiness.com. It's not live yet, but it will be. My first thought was to call it 3rdlife.com, or thirdlife.com, as that's what it seems like to me, my 3rd great adventure, but of course someone already owns that, as well as 3rdlifesacharm, and variations on that. Still deciding on the name, but writing like mad, which feels amazing.

Speaking of which, I have an opinion column to write for the paper, so off I go.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Ended up doing "inside" work yesterday, as the weather was rainy and windy. I got my November and December daycare calendars and newletter planned/written and printed. I sorted through my craft supplies and organized the crafts for November and I got my house cleaned. Grocery shopping and banking were done early in the morning. So...today is the day I will have to go out and get the trees/flowers ready for winter. I also need to hit the laundromat with the bedding. Both DYS and I have been sick the past few weeks, and although the sheets have been changed and washed I really want to get the comforters and blankets cleaned. Nothing feels better than getting into a freshly washed bed, comforter and all. The smell and feel is almost luxurious.
    Heather, Lisa, Karen - listening to you all describe times in your life when you existed on very little, reminds me of my life pre-marriage and for the few years after getting married. I was homeless for a short time before I was married. Lived out of a suitcase. When DH and I married he was used to living off credit cards, which got us into a WHOLE lot of trouble. Bankruptcy changed the way we lived drastically. I have vivid memories of shopping for the week of Thanksgiving with only $30 for a family of five. Since then we have always lived paycheck to paycheck, until very recently. We are just now beginning to be able to save a little each week. Anyway...like you, Heather, I have been down and out before; so the thought of that happening again doesn't scare me the way it scares my DH.
    Heather - I am so glad you rescued Johnny and I bet your DS will be very happy to have him and remember the adventures they shared.
    Margaret - I forgot to mention that I think you did a lovely job on the memorial to your mom. Love and hugs to you <3
    Gloria - Love your words on forgiveness. I have a BIL (my DH's twin) who has been a poison pill to us for many years. Needless to say, I forgive him for the words and things he has done; but DH and I both feel that doesn't mean that we need to associate with him in our leisure time. DH's other brothers don't understand why we won't attend "date night" or "game night" when he is present. (All of the brothers and their wives get together once a month or so). Luckily, he doesn't attend these often. But, the other brothers don't receive the 100's of emails, texts and phone calls that we do. Blah! Sorry, I don't mean to keep going on. ANYWAY, I can forgive all of this. (I really think he suffers from bi-polar or some sort of depression/anger issue) BUT DH and I have decided we just can't keep letting him be a part of our social circle.
    Rita Gorgeous picture and what a fantastic memory to share with your mom!

Well, have to jump in the shower and get my day going! Love and hugs to all who need them! KJ (Kelly)