WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lenora the reference to Lesley not Leslie is when she was born in 1918 Leslie was a boy's name. She was the fourth girl and felt being named Lesley Francis was no coincidence. She did not want to have a boy's name that is why she changed the spelling.

I realize I did have some small typos in the text. My fingers go faster than my brain.

I sang Amazing Grace at my Dad's funeral and The Eye of the Sparrow at my sister's. I also teach, so speaking at a funeral does not phase me.

The Grant Wood reference is my own private joke. Grant Wood is a famous painter from Iowa. He painted American Gothic ( The man and woman with the pitch fork in front of a white house). This painting along with the Mona Lisa are probably the most referenced paintings in the world. Wood was commissioned to do a stain glass window for the Veteran's of World War I. The DAR had a fit because he wanted to use German glass makers because of WWI. He wanted to use them because they were the best in the world. They were very disrespectful to him at the unveiling. He had a delightful sense of humor. Later he did a painting of actual woman from the DAR standing in front of a famous painting of Washington crossing the Delaware that was painted by a famous German painter. He did not paint them in the most flattering light. This is exactly the kind of satire my mother loved.

:heart: Margaret
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: Happy Birthday. As others have said already, you look great!

Heidi: Happy birthday and welcome to our friendly group.

Pip: Good luck! We’ll be with you in spirit.

Lisa: Ellie is a doll. Have you ever met her mom? Hope it all works for the best.

Allie: Rest up. So glad you’ll have a free weekend.

Betty: Babaloo! Oye que si. I love peppy Latin music and play it all the time during my pre-dawn workouts. Really gets me going.

Mary: Two weeks! I am so putting you on my list to get healing thoughts and energy.

Heather: Can never get enough of Bea. That smile can melt iceburgs. Happy house-hunting!

Margaret: What a lovely tribute. Can really get a sense of what a magnificent woman your mom was, and how she influenced you in becoming the amazing lady you are today.

Rita: It’s so great to see you back here with us. Hope DH gets better soon.

Lenora: I was considering getting one of those brushes that dries as you style your hair. I’m afraid I’d have similar results as you did.

DJ: Sounds like Myrtle Beach and Denver are having the same weather. We actually touched 80’s today, which is a new record for this date.

SKuehn: Yay on the positive news from the pulmonologist. Sounds like you are on a great fitness routine.

Sherry: Rest up. Let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

Saw a financial planner today. I’m shopping for LTC insurance for myself. I have every other kind of insurance, and buy it more out of superstition than risk mitigation. I’ve never made a home or car insurance claim. I seldom reach the deductible on my medical insurance. But I do have tremendous peace of mind, and a little voice inside me says the minute I drop a coverage, the fates will come back to bite me. If I buy LTC insurance, my gut says I’ll live a long, healthy and independent life. Of course, it would be nice to know I could get some home care, should the need arise.

So again, I’ll say it. Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on a computer for very long as my eyes can't stand too much light. Eyes have gotten worse again and they don't seem to be healing the way they should. I also have had the flu for the last few days. Sheesh, it never rains but it pours!

Missing reading all the posts but I'll catch up when I can.

Thinking of you..

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Oct:
    - Increase walking now that the hamstring has healed
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tonight was the Fall Festival at DGS#2's elementary school. He was a very cute Vampire and I put on a floppy hat and threw my camera around my neck and went as a tourist. I joined PTA at both schools so tonight I was in charge of the table where you had to guess how many things were in the jar. I had fun and decided I might do well as a fair barker. I wasn't anyone get past my table without giving me a ticket and writing down their guess. The person at the table next to me far out sold me but that's because she had pumpkins with dum dum suckers stuck in them. if the kids picked one that had a black dot on the end they got a prize. Lots of cute costumes, It was a lot of fun but I stood too long and now my feet and legs are protesting so I'm going to bed and watch The Voice on Hulu.

Nite all!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Jacuzzi and ice pack are my friends! My husband brought me to the hotel. I will try swimming tomorrow.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Awake again. :(

Going to dye my roots today so I look a natural blonde for my girly trip to London. B) I have a "wet cut" appointment for Tuesday pm. Just my usual trim.

I'm also going to cook the lovely chicken supremes I bought yesterday (I also bought venison) for my friends' dinner on Wednesday and freeze them. Then I've only got to add the cream and some fresh tarragon on the day. I think I'll just get DH to make a fruit salad on the day for dessert. They'll be horribly jet lagged anyway. ;)
    Will also make a nice big batch of bolognese sauce for eating and freezing. I will have mine with zoodles. :D

Other than that we will have another go at the loft or garage. It's quite mild at the moment so the garage might be the best option. Yesterday we carried a HUGE box of stuff between us to the charity shop. It was a real struggle and my back and arm were sore afterwards. Feel ok now though. Also went to the dump. Hooray!
    Took six pairs of DH's old spectacles in to the opticians to see if they wanted them for charity. They did and said they would send them off for us. Result! They are quite a complicated prescription, so let's hope someone in Africa has just the same eye problems!!! Not quite sure why DH had kept quite so many, each one in a box. :noway:

Time to take DH up a nice cup of tea. :D<3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am caught up again. I'm sure that won't last.

Lisa - Ellie is adorable. I pray that all works out and your son can be part of his life. It might be complicated but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Heather - Thanks for the Bea fix

Margaret - I feel like I would have loved spending time with your Mom. Thank you for sharing such a special tribute with us.

Katla - Baby snuggles come before all else. We Grandmas understand that. Breathe in that beautiful baby aroma for me.

Wore my Queen of Hearts costume to work. No makeup because of the microblading on Wednesday and besides my daughter wouldn't help me this morning. I don't understand why, I only had to be at work by 6 a.m. Lol. Lots of compliments today so I didn't need to have anyone's head taken off. Tomorrow we are seeing what we can do but strict instructions not to arrive at her house before 7:15 a.m. DD's other appointments for makeup will go from 9-9.
    DBIL is back from Texas for 4 days. He has no desire to live in Borger. I feel bad for him because my sister doesn't get up, has no food in the house, etc. Thank goodness she hires my niece to clean the house before he comes home. Trying to mind my business but she will never find another like him.
    Came home to my living room / hall way being painted. Trying not to be annoyed. I don't think asking me what I think of the colour after it is on the wall really constitutes me having input. GRRRR
    Another diesel truck and the engine is shot. I keep hearing how redoing these vehicles and compressors is going to make us money. I have to wonder when that will start.
    Sorry people, feeling a little bitchy tonight.
    Looking forward to the potluck and the costumes tomorrow. In the afternoon I am going to a Steeped Tea party and then it will probably be movie time.
    My eating has been horrible and I need to really get that back on track. Tomorrow is a new day.

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Popping in between editing a PhD thesis and commenting on student assignments for an upcoming course. I've only had time to skim through the posts about once a day, and my poor brain is a whirlwind of disjointed facts, so I'm not retaining much of what I read. Sorry about that!

My teaching partner has made it final that he won't be participating in the course that starts in 10 days. (At first I wrote curse instead of course! How Freudian is that?) Those of you who've been on the thread for a while know how much those courses take out of me. :dizzy: This time I'll be doing twice as much work, so I'm going to insist on being paid twice as much too.

My eating is still under some kind of control but my jogging has gone out the window, my weight-lifting is off the rails and my weight is going through the roof. I still haven't managed to find a practical way to log food since the MFP app stopped working on my phone. Can't lug my computer back and forth all the time and besides, there's no way to use bar codes with a computer! (Or has anyone found that option anywhere?)

Okay, break over. Must get back to those assignments. ***Sigh***

/Penny, under pressure at the North Pole
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies...

Katie - happy belated birthday!

Heather - thanks for the Bea fix...

Second cup of coffee, and last Keurig cup in the pantry, so I'm either switching to tea or drinking my husband's high-test Columbian. Tea it is!

Am pleased that our son has finally got to meet his daughter. Watching the developments with interest, but still somewhat detached--he's enjoying every moment before he goes back to Montana for the remainder of his military enlistment. I believe he's got a year left. We'll just wait and see how it all turns out.

I, on the other hand, am putting the brakes on at my job--I've put myself in an impossible position (I know you're all surprised! :)) and now I have to extricate myself from it, and am trying to figure out how to do it with least damage to all concerned. The good part is, my DH is, as always, very supportive.

My choices are:

1) keep going like I am, which is unacceptable--I've stopped sleeping, pretty much, too exhausted on a daily basis to work out, my eating's careened completely out of control, and I could go on, but I won't. You can thank me later.

2) quit completely, which is definitely an option.

3) offer to work part-time, about 15 hours a week, to help her maintain the standard I've set.

I'm leaning toward the third one, but have a feeling the owner, who lives and works near Austin at the headquarters for the group, will say, "Let her go." Long story.

Whatever - in self-defense, I simply have to stop the current path and take another. I'm absolutely dreading the holidays at the paper, and I hate feeling this way. I love the day-to-day job, but am just too tired to cope.

My departure from a full-time wage will definitely slow down our progress toward our dreams, but having a heart attack (my mother had already had four of them and an angioplasty by the time she was my current age) would wreck them completely.

One thing I have decided is--no more "permanent" jobs. Contracts, sure, with a defined end date or deliverable. But no more open-ended hires. I get too invested, pour too much of myself, my heart and soul and body, into them to make them excel. I have to learn to do things by halves, and I'm not sure I can at 56.

I have to go to the laundromat.

Thoughtfully...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • pacockerill
    pacockerill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this posting. A little about myself. 66 year old widowed woman living in Sarasota Florida. I am a California native. Moved to Florida in 2010 for financial reasons. 5'6" tall and when arriving in Fl, I weighed 148 and was in size 8 clothes. When I started Myfitnesspal, I was in size 14 and 165. Started on the weight loss program 2 months ago and have 11 lbs gone. Feel good about that but now feel stuck on a plateau. My measurements are improving so maybe I should stop weighing and go by how my clothes fit. I have been battling breast cancer for the second time since October of 2015 and now ready to start living again. October is nearly gone, so here are my goals for November:

Continue to meditate daily (no excuses which happened too much in October)
    Walk Sookie (15 lb female Chihuahua mix) daily in the morning at least 30 minutes
    Hike at least twice a week.
    Play golf once a week.
    Get out of the house for at least 1 evening activity per week.
    Drink no more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine daily.
    Drink 8 glasses of water per day.
    Post all of the stuff I want to sell on Ebay.
    Continue to eat clean ( no or little processed foods)

Peggy
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DJ So great you cast your absentee ballot! I am trying to figure out how to do that myself, as the lines will be so long on Nov. 8. I hope you are dried out from being waterlogged by now! <3

Marcelyn That's the spirit! Where there's a will, there's a way!

SueBDew in Texas Nice weight loss! And thanks for the Happy Saturday wishes a day early LOL!!!

Heather (((Triple Hug))) And thanks for the BEAutiful pictures of your grands. They do warm my heart.

Mary Sending healing thoughts. Are you home now?

Sharon in Lethbridge Oh, do fill us in on the details! Why was your meal-fixing delicious but dangerous? And what did you and your sister fight about? Many of us can empathize, although my only sister has been dead now for 16 years. And I would definitely be bitchy if I came home to a new paint job I hadn't been consulted on.

Lisa in West Texas That little girl is adorable! Your son and your granddaughter will undoubtedly enrich each other's lives, as long as Ellie's momma continues to cooperate. Fingers crossed! He must be floating! And concerning your relationship with your job, it nearly brought tears to my eyes, as I can relate. My job is definitely for a younger person. I had the energy for it 25 years ago, but the pace is unrelenting and exhausting now at the age of 62. Trying to figure it out. Impressed at your clarity concerning your own situation. I think you are practical and brave.

Heidi That sunrise photo is phenomenal. Originally from Nebraska, home to many gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, I am duly impressed with that MA sunrise. Wow! Thanks for sharing that photo. & Happy Bday!

Janetr I am getting the feeling you really like Tampa! Who knows, maybe you and your hubby will find your retirement haven while you are on the road! And the baby llama...be still my heart. Love baby llamas. So cute!

Speaking of retirement, I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to find out that Cheri and her husband are considering my little neck of the woods for their retirement! Yay!

Pip c0126.gif

Re c0117.gif

DanceswithDogz We are so lucky to have Barbie who has taken on the responsibility of starting a new thread the first of every month. Just remember to switch your bookmark over to the new thread. She will post a link in this month's thread.

Wickglamgirl Sorry you were sick! Two weeks is a long time to be sick. :/

Kate UK I was saddened to discover how many calories, grams of fat, and grams of sodium most Chinese food has, as I love it. I feel certain you did burn off a bunch of calories unpacking those books! ;)

Margaret Lovely tribute to your mom! Have I mentioned more than 400 times how much I now appreciate my wonderful mother, while taking her for granted when I was younger. I realize now how rare that gift is. And funny! story about Grant Wood reference and the German stained glass, etc. Made me smile.

Becca I am envious of your relationship with your son. My son was always monosyllabic, despite the time of day, when he was growing up. Now he is pedantic.

Joyce I bet a lot of us here have messed up families. I do. Mental illness, infidelity, scandals, disappointments, etc. I had such a wonderful childhood. Then we all grew up and the s**t hit the fan.

Rori Ooh! I am so interested in your LTCI investigating. I had an opportunity a decade ago to buy a fantastic John Hancock policy. Little did I know that I passed up a golden opportunity, that policy is no longer offered. I am now 62 and still mulling over the much more limited and expensive options available to me for LTCI. Keep us posted!

Gloworm You get the prize for being energetic and amazing! You seem to be very young at heart. Festival sounds so fun.

Penny I am sorry you are stuck with extra duties. When it happens to me at my workplace (someone has an emergency or there is a scheduling error), and I have to pick up the slack, I am drained by it. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often. We are busy enough as it is, without being 1 person down.

Peggy Welcome! Barbie will start a new thread in November. Be sure to bookmark it. She will post a link here.

Everybody else: Sending love and support your way. As Rori would say, we can do this!

c0146.gif

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."

Today my granddaughter spends the afternoon and overnight. My grandson doesn't like to come here anymore because I limit his screen time while he is here. He really enjoys our activities, but when it's time to come back, all he remembers is that he will have to get his head out of the screens. So he will be staying at grandpa's house tonight. Hope he grows out of that, I miss him, and he is only 10. Anyway, we will be going to a Halloween costume party for kids and adults at my stepson's house. My granddaughter will be wearing a costume. I will probably just wear a fascinator I made for Halloween, and dress in my comfy leggings and a long top. Jammies! My partner has a dog biscuit making project for our granddaughter this afternoon. She will love that. We always have to wash at least one dog and go for walks with the dogs when she is here. She doesn't have a dog so it's very exciting for her and she is a NATURAL with the dogs. She can do things with them that nobody else can. They are putty in her hands. So sweet!

Karen in Virginia
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Peggy welcome to the group. Your goals sound very doable. It is the consistency that is key, that's for sure. And how your clothes fit and feel is a great way to measure progress. Keep coming back. Barbie our fearless leader will post a November thread the night before, don't forget to look for us there and bookmark the thread (little gray star turns yellow) so you can keep posting!

Having a look at an active community townhome today--no we're not moving--just being curious. The development is new, 2hours north of NYC and very eco friendly so we are curious. Nice to have a little "leaf peeping" time in the car and we found a little hole in the wall dumpling and pho restaurant to try so it will be a real outing!!

Looking forward to a November reset of goals and renewed sense of purpose as we approach the holidays and all that brings. NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning....good morning! Happy Saturday everyone!
    It has been a busy week at daycare. But fun was had by all. Lots of harvest and pumpkin stories. Books where witches, mummies, vampires, and monsters are friends. Games where the kids had to "find the different" item. Fun for the kiddos, not very stimulating for people over age four, though! LOL! As usual I was so busy with party/week planning, I left my costume for last; so ended up grabbing a jersey and baseball cap from my son's room and went as a Cubs fan. fpc2ilpnmpb2.jpg
    vaasu4osg1eb.jpg
    kc4pscerim0t.jpg

Sorry the pics are so big, but had to share what keeps me busy every day. Lunch was mummy dogs, apple slices, Boo berries (white chocolate covered strawberries, and witches brooms (pretzel stick and string cheese). Best picture I got of most of the kids (because they were constantly moving), and a pic of Supergirl, Eliot. She is a doll baby. Just turned a year old, new walker, and a big flirt!

I have loved looking at everyone's pics! The grandkids are darling, the baby llama is SO cute and I will have to show that to my kiddos (they love the Lllama, llama stories), wolf whistle for the lady in the birthday suit (Katie), sunset in MA is gorgeous.
    Lisa-best wishes on your career decision. Not an easy one, but you have to do what makes you feel healthy and whole!
    Penny- DEFINITELY you should demand extra pay. You are doing the job of two people! Best wishes to you as you get through this busy time. Grab at every peaceful YOU moment you can get! Sending hugs!
    Sherry- I love the quotes! Thanks for sharing. We must have had the same thought at dinner time last night. I also had Taco Bell. Just couldn't bring myself to cook dinner after a week of cooking and baking. Hope you are feeling better soon!
    Peggy- Welcome! It sounds like you are on your way to looking and feeling better! Come often and chime in wherever you feel the desire to share or give advice!
    Sharon- This close to Halloween we call it witchy! LOL! Venting is good! Hope you wake up and have a better day/weekend!
    Heather-reading about your purging feels almost as good as doing it myself! Tarragon! Do you cook with it often? I think the only time I have cooked with tarragon was when I had to make dinner for the cast and crew of my DYS's high school performance of Phantom. I made about 100 chicken tarragon crepes. They went over really well. I also had made 100 italian crepes. All got eaten. I have found that tarragon has an interesting flavor; almost like an anise? I am wondering if it would be better on beef than chicken. DH finds the flavor overwhelming.
    Carey- Feel better!! Sending love and hugs <3
    New girls- Welcome! As you get used to how talkative we are, it is a little hard to follow who is who, married to who, going through what. You get used to that. Please come often, comment if you wish, take/give advice as needed. This is a great group of ladies who have given me emotional and motivational support when I have needed it. They are also not afraid to tell you when your pity party has gone on long enough and will give you a pep talk or give you the kick in the back side, or tell you to put on your big girl panties and get busy. On the last day of each month Barbie will post the link to the next month (usually in the evening). So just watch for her post on Monday, click on the link to November, bookmark it and stay with us!
    Busy day today. Looks like rain, but I need to get out and get my trees and flowers pruned/trimmed. The wind was really blowing last night so I imagine I will have a lot of branches to pick up, too. I'm good with that. Should be a great calorie burn!
    ttyl KJ (Kelly)

Cleveland Indians...who in their right mind names their child Coco Crisp? WTH?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    Here I am with the puppies in bed with the laptop and a cup of tea..gonna lay low today and hang out watching the birds at the feeder ..still feeling yucky and will just chill for the weekend... the dogs I think will do the same..
    Lowes ~ had a one day sale on whirlpool duet washer and dryer 1/2 price so Tom bought them for down in Florida they will be delivered this morning,,, he overdid yesterday and hoping he can go float in the pool today for a couple of hours.
    My brother has been a wonderful help.. he came down at lunchtime yesterday and got the dogs outside.. and if I need anything he will pick it up for me..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Kellly great pictures.

Thank you for all the feedback on My Mom's tribute. I made minor changes because of you to improve the tribute. I"ll give it a day or two and read it to a couple more friends before the final version is read at my mother's memorial.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Phew! Lots of posts since my last!

DJ-- I have the Chili's app on my phone and every time we go there accumulate points. Carries by purchase. Takes 204 points for a feee lunch combo. It was relish! Especially being free! Lol!

/Penny- have you tried deleting the app from your phone and reinstalling? Sometimes that fixes most issues. You don't lose any data as it syncs by your login.

Gotta go. Spent too much time on here already. Must walk dogs today!

Rita from CT
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well I have to take Homer back to the vet!! we will be broke