I couldn't NOT share this with you guys.. Gross.

Options
123457»

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree, wouldn't you be able to see them, like in the maraschino cherries, how could you not see something that wasn't supposed to be there??? I no longer eat canned fruits/veggies but my favorite asparagus comes frozen and I thought it was 'safe' now I find it may contain bugs too. WTF? I have to go w/the philosophy that I'm been eating this way all my life and I'm still here so a few bug parts won't hurt you, lol. Now I'll never eat a Lance cracker again...too many **** roaches in it for me.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just lost my Appetite for any Food. Thanks. :sad:
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I read THIS last night - and needless to say... i skipped on the little sprinkle of cheese on my eggs this morning. The more i read about food... the shorter my list is getting!

http://likes.com/misc/15-disgusting-ingredients-youre-eating-right-now
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People in different counrties eat bugs as a part of their daily diet. There is actually nothing gross about it and they provide A LOT of nutirents and protien. Look at it that way, because there is no way for any company to prevent it.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just watch Bizzare foods and be thankful for what you have... Seriously
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Count me in with the "meh, it's more protein" group.

The bug parts are a lot more "natural" than some of the other stuff in those canned mushrooms anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "clean" eater. I'm all about oreos, bologna, and other processed garbage, but ultimately it's probably more natural to be eating bugs than to be eating some of the crazy additives that are in our foods.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Just watch Bizzare foods and be thankful for what you have... Seriously

Yeah, we should be.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I used to hunt wild mushrooms (DO NOT do this unless you know what you're doing!! Seriously, there are deadly mushrooms in North America!) especially the morel, which comes out briefly in May. They're shaped like a sponge so there's plenty of crevices where little critters can hide out. You halve them and soak for a few minutes to clean them. Does that get all the insects out? Most likely not. The maggots referred to are most likely the larvae of a tiny mushroom or fungus fly, not the housefly maggots you're thinking of.

Regarding not eating insects in North America, true of the USA and Canada, but not of Central America.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My grandfather was a prolific gardener--fruits, vegetables, flowers, you name it. He'd have huge tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, green beans, peas, beets...I could go on and on. I'm not sure what he used to keep bugs away, but I do know that he would only use manure as fertilizer. Some of the produce would be canned by my grandmother, but quite a bit would go straight to the table. Heck, I remember being a little girl and eating strawberries right off the plant (rinsed in water, usually from the garden hose). I'm sure a fair amount of insects and bacteria were consumed, but nobody ever got sick.

Not saying I want a big ol' critter crawling on my plate, but if our bodies are never challenged by pathogens our immune systems will begin to overreact to everything (there's evidence that the increase in allergies and autoimmune disorders may be due to our hyper-clean environments). So let your kids play in the dirt--heck, play in it yourself. Eat good food (wash your produce first, of course), and don't worry about it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Now I have to ask: Why are canned mushrooms "terrible" for you? :huh:

And FWIW: making spaghetti squash with jarred sauce and canned mushrooms. Bring on the bugs!
  • scopetrek
    scopetrek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    your stomach has hydrocloric acid. Kills most all "bugs"
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You know what's gross? This really doesn't bother me. Even after reading the article.

Better me eating them, than them eating me.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've eaten worse.

This. A few bugs won't hurt.

I paid damn good money to eat snails. Just add some butter and dill, and you're good to go.

^ I can't believe you EAT SNAILS.

...with dill and not garlic. Mmmmm...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    there are insect parts in chocolate.

Stop with the lies! LIES!!! :angry:

I read that somewhere, too. I forgave the chocolate. :heart: