Girlfriend not losing weight on deficit

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Calories too high

Probably not eating enough protein

High sugar or high carbohydrates cause water weight gain and increased appetite- no more chocolate cake for now, let her have chocolate protein shakes instead

Have her do more exercise than just walking (and walking doesn't burn 500 calories a day)

Make sure she sticks to proper macros not just calories

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Read the entire thread before replying. More was revealed, and it may change your perspective. At least, I hope it does.

Ew.

What is "ew" about this? It's a pretty basic message board good practice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Calories too high

High sugar or high carbohydrates cause water weight gain and increased appetite- no more chocolate cake for now, let her have chocolate protein shakes instead

Have her do more exercise than just walking (and walking doesn't burn 500 calories a day)

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Read the entire thread before replying. More was revealed, and it may change your perspective. At least, I hope it does.

Ew.

:lol:

I don't know what you mean, but I'll laugh anyway assuming it was supposed to be funny?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    If she didn't lose weight, she wasn't actually in a deficit (even though she thought she was).
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Calories too high

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Ew.

Just how gross all of that sounded together.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Calories too high

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Ew.

I know. Words. Right?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Calories too high

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Ew.

Oh. So you were saying "Ew" to the parts I bolded in the @courtneyfabulous post? Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that she is a 35YO woman.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Codependency is always bad! Both need therapy (sorry) but there is all kinds of wrong with OP and the situation.

He, she, they will figure it out at some point..
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Also, why would a 5'7" 136 pound woman be using a 500 calorie deficit?

None of this is making sense to me.

I had to reverse diet and take a short "diet break" (eating at a gradually increasing maintenance level --not a big increase all at once) after I stalled out for a period of time. I can plateau on low calories.

Your girlfriend is at an ideal weight for her height. She shouldn't be going for an aggressive deficit IMO. I am fairly close to goal and made that mistake. Have her calculate her TDEE and subtract 250 calories a day for a 0.5 pound loss a week.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Well I only read the original post and a few the comments past that. Didn't bother to read every single comment but I'm guessing there's more to the story then?

I don't see what's wrong with my comment though - and were you saying "ew" and "no no no no" to my suggestions or me being 35 years old? That seems kind of weird to me either way.
  • ogtmama
    Well I only read the original post and a few the comments past that. Didn't bother to read every single comment but I'm guessing there's more to the story then?

I don't see what's wrong with my comment though - and were you saying "ew" and "no no no no" to my suggestions or me being 35 years old? That seems kind of weird to me either way.

No. I was saying Ew. To all the LET her, MAKE her, TELL her to's. It was gross.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Oh ok sorry yeah that's bad choices of words- not my intention. Should have taken more time in commenting.

Also I just did the conversion from metric to imperial and seems like she's at a healthy weight for her height.

She might just want to lose some fat and gain some muscle if she's not happy with her physique as it is now.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Wow yeah I wrote that really fast- the advice was sound but I see where the phrasing was pretty bad.
  • ogtmama
    I agree that recomp is probably exactly what she wants/needs for her health but I think she also needs to talk to someone.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    lissmayer wrote: »
    I was really rooting for a D/s consensual power exchange thing as the reasoning for this guy being inappropriately controlling of his partner's dieting. But no. Gotta be some dude "fixing" his "broken" girlfriend because he knows everything, eating disorder be damned.

Gross.

This. As someone in a total power exchange relationship (bit more deep than D/s) I didn't really bat an eye at the first post. I hate when people lecture me for my 2 significant others (something else people seem to lecture about) being controlling.

However the subsequent posts throw huge red flags.
  • DebSozo
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

I had to reverse diet and take a short "diet break" (eating at a gradually increasing maintenance level --not a big increase all at once) after I stalled out for a period of time. I can plateau on low calories.

Your girlfriend is at an ideal weight for her height. She shouldn't be going for an aggressive deficit IMO. I am fairly close to goal and made that mistake. Have her calculate her TDEE and subtract 250 calories a day for a 0.5 pound loss a week.

smh @bolded....

Whatever.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »

I don't follow how you can plateau on low calories, at least if they are lower than your TDEE. My guess is you were underestimating your calorie balance and were not in a deficit as you originally thought.
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    I made the mistake of eating below my resting metabolic rate and learned from experience. I lost at first but then my body slowed down to compensate. It was miserable. My rmr is 1660, so I need to eat at least 1600 calories. 1200 calories were not enough daily for me. BTW, I plugged in OP's girlfriend's stats and got 1669 calories as her rmr. 1200 calories a day are TOO LOW for her height, weight, and age.