Girlfriend not losing weight on deficit

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, lots of things like saying you think she weighed something when she started but don't know and she thinks she hasn't lost weight but doesn't know, eating back all the exercise calories. It doesn't sound like she knows much for sure and that isnt helping.
    She is a healthy weight. Her weight loss will take more accuracy and time.
    She should weigh herself regularly on the same scale preferably in the mornings after using the bathroom before eating or drinking anything.
    She should take body measurements to see if measurements are changing. Fit of clothes is another measure of progress.
    She should use a food scale and log as accurately as she can if she has not been losing. She may be consuming a lot more than she thinks.
    She should realize that she may retain water due to things like high sodium meals, exercise routine, period, ovulation and this will show up on the scale.
    She should eat only a portion of exercise calories... maybe half to account for overestimations of burns.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    In recent months I have lots of people tell me I've 'lost' loads of weight - I haven't 'lost' much weight in the last 6 months, however, I have toned up, got stronger and dropped a dress size. Losing weight isn't all about the scales - she should also be looking at her physical measurements, they can be more of an indication of how she's really doing.

Better than them saying you've lost "tons of weight" which is what my husband tells people. :s
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    5'7 and 136lbs

Give me strength

This.

OP show her how to lift properly and get her a food scale.
  • joshsparkes
    joshsparkes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely certain that she's logging accurately, and not sneaking food?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Is she interested in losing weight or is this just something YOU want her to do? She's already at a healthy weight but if she's interested then this is something perhaps she should be more involved in. Since she seems not interested, judging by her lack of participating, I'd just let it go. If you are dissatisfied with her appearance you need to get over it or move along.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I hope this is something she wants, and not something you have convinced her to do. I've been in that situation, and I don't take the topic lightly..
    Anyway, she is at a healthy weight, and if she wants to see changes in her body then she should consider lifting some weights.
  • joshsparkes
    Options
    To all of the pessimists on this forum - I am not trying to get her to do anything, she had a eating disorder consisting of getting extremely anxious when eating as she didnt know if it would make her gain weight, she was extreme dieting to lose weight.

I introduced her to fitnesspal under the premise -track your calories, hit 1200 for optimum fat loss, and anything under 1700 (her maintenance) will cause fat loss and that she could eat whatever, just weigh it and track it. She was so happy for 9 weeks, being able to snack on chocolate yet knowing she was losing weight... i had fixed her eating disorder... until now, the blame lies at the feet of fitnesspal who say 6 hours walking burns 500-600 cals... now shes lost confidence in the system and gone back to binge eating. So *kitten* you fitnesspal :)
  • joshsparkes
    Options
    Oh yeah, and this is a forum for helping get a good plan, not some feminists who think all men are evil. I know shes not in bad shape and dont think she needs to lose any, she wants to and wants it to be in her control.
  • joshsparkes
    Options
    Thank you to those qctually helping to find a solution to the problem. I think its down to the walking being overestimated.

Yes we used a digi scale and i do the same as standard so we had fun so knowing we were getting in ever better shape.

Now to try and get her back on the right track.

Anyone know the best way to measure fat loss? Measuring tape? I know scales are not good.