Girlfriend not losing weight on deficit

Replies

• AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    mjffey wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    5'7 and 136lbs

Give me strength

That's what i thought too. What's there to lose? Perfect weight if you ask me.

Right?? This is my ultimate goal, and I'm just under 5'6".
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    I can tell you @joshsparkes that this system works.. you need to just have your gf log in and start logging the food herself and start having her participate here in the forums and start reaching out and making friends. If you are consistent about your logging and logging accurately.. you will lose.. but if your not being truthful and your not logging it properly or all the time and your eating back the exercise calories.. you won't lose...

also drop the deficit to something like trying to lose .5lbs a week.. should be closer to a 250 to 300... if she comes in and on her profile accurately answers the questions and honestly really watches the carbs and the calories she will lose.. it will flucuate with the time of the month as well as her hydration levels... so weigh in at the same time every week, the same way every time... preferably naked and first thing in the morning after waking up.. it will give you the best reading and most accurate reading...

I went from 219 down to 204 using MFP.. I stopped for a short time period and put it back on but now that I am tracking again I have gone from 221 down to 215... so don't give up on the system .. its only been I believe you said 90 days.. give it at least twice that before you start making major adjustments... make small adjustments.. be a bit more accurate in your logging.. and stop eating back the calories from walking.. plus 500 calories from walking is a bit steep... try more like 250 for the amount of walking she does... and let MFP make the adjustments for what she is entering... "SHE ENTERS" not you... let it be her who does it if she isn't...

thats my long post about it but I felt you needed to hear it.. and feel free to add me as a friend and have her add me as well.. I am happy to discuss what I have seen and learned...
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Why have you taken on this "project" for her? Don't you feel she is capable of handling her own food and weight and exercise?

I would seriously chafe at anyone else trying to "help" me lose weight.

But that's just me.

I thought it was pretty cool that he is invested and supportive of her....
  • STLBADGIRL
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    5'7 and 136lbs

Give me strength

lmaooooooooooooo
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Why have you taken on this "project" for her? Don't you feel she is capable of handling her own food and weight and exercise?

But that's just me.

Claiming to 'fix' her is not the same as supporting her...

Did he say that? I thought he said he wanted to help her get back on track. Maybe it's me....but I didn't read it that way. But I've been wrong before.
  • STLBADGIRL

But that's just me.

Did he say that? I thought he said he wanted to help her get back on track. Maybe it's me....but I didn't read it that way. But I've been wrong before.

He actually did explicitly say that he "fixed" her eating disorder.

Wow....I didn't know or read that. In that case I would have to agree with the masses....
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

But that's just me.

Here's the referenced quote. It's disturbing.

She was so happy for 9 weeks, being able to snack on chocolate yet knowing she was losing weight... i had fixed her eating disorder... until now, the blame lies at the feet of fitnesspal who say 6 hours walking burns 500-600 cals... now shes lost confidence in the system and gone back to binge eating. So *kitten* you fitnesspal :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    To all of the pessimists on this forum - I am not trying to get her to do anything, she had a eating disorder consisting of getting extremely anxious when eating as she didnt know if it would make her gain weight, she was extreme dieting to lose weight.

I introduced her to fitnesspal under the premise -track your calories, hit 1200 for optimum fat loss, and anything under 1700 (her maintenance) will cause fat loss and that she could eat whatever, just weigh it and track it. She was so happy for 9 weeks, being able to snack on chocolate yet knowing she was losing weight... i had fixed her eating disorder... until now, the blame lies at the feet of fitnesspal who say 6 hours walking burns 500-600 cals... now shes lost confidence in the system and gone back to binge eating. So *kitten* you fitnesspal :)

So you put someone with a history of binge eating on a calorie restricted diet and you are surprised that long-term she couldn't stick with it? A diet of 1200 calories? For a woman who is 5'7" and a healthy weight?

That low of a calorie intake could lead to people without eating disorders binge. Seriously. I know I've done it, and I've heard the same from others. This is over your head for being able to help her. Find some professionals to help her with this. They can make sure she has reasonable goals and a reasonable plan to get there. You obviously want to help her, but the best you can do (in my opinion) is to get outside help. Professionals who are not personally involved. You are too close to see things well, and could possibly do more harm than good, despite your best intentions.

YESSSS!!!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited October 2016
    akf2000 wrote: »
    I would agree that walking calories are HUGELY overestimated, not just on MFP.

Read this, I use the formula in here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Online calculators are basically doubling the true number. When you hear people say 'eat back 50%' that's really an indication of how terrible the estimates are.

According to the formula here, she should burn 465 cals for walking 6 miles, not that far off op's original 500 calorie estimation
  • crowgrl13
    crowgrl13 Posts: 6 Member
    Is she on any medication? I gained a lot of weight and couldn't lose it for the longest time, even though I was exercising and watching my food intake. It turned out to be the med I was on, even though it DID NOT have weight gain as a side effect. When I finally just googled the med, I found page after page of people who had gained a lot of weight on it.
    If that isn't it, suggest she get her thyroid checked, although if she is 5'7" and 136, she is right where she should be. Maybe she could lift to tone up if that's what she wants.
  • STLBADGIRL

But that's just me.

Being "supportive" of someone's weight loss goals when they have an ED may do more harm than good. His "investment" may actually be setting her back in recovery. That he thinks he can "fix" her ED is concerning.

I agree and I made this comment before I knew that she had an ED....