Girlfriend not losing weight on deficit

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    I would agree that walking calories are HUGELY overestimated, not just on MFP.

Read this, I use the formula in here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Online calculators are basically doubling the true number. When you hear people say 'eat back 50%' that's really an indication of how terrible the estimates are.

According to the formula here, she should burn 465 cals for walking 6 miles, not that far off op's original 500 calorie estimation

That's total, so you would have to subtract the amount of calories should normally burns through out the day from the amount of time it took her to walk those 6 miles. So if she does it in 16 minute miles that is 465 - 113 = 352. That is assuming that the 6 miles is truly on top of what she would normally do, and if that 6 miles is spread out through out the day, and at a slower pace the difference is even more.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Why have you taken on this "project" for her? Don't you feel she is capable of handling her own food and weight and exercise?

I would seriously chafe at anyone else trying to "help" me lose weight.

But that's just me.

I thought it was pretty cool that he is invested and supportive of her....

Claiming to 'fix' her is not the same as supporting her...

Did he say that? I thought he said he wanted to help her get back on track. Maybe it's me....but I didn't read it that way. But I've been wrong before.

He actually did explicitly say that he "fixed" her eating disorder.

Wow....I didn't know or read that. In that case I would have to agree with the masses....

And that mfp giving a (completely reasonable imho) estimate for SIX hours of walking broke her again.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Why have you taken on this "project" for her? Don't you feel she is capable of handling her own food and weight and exercise?

But that's just me.

Did he say that? I thought he said he wanted to help her get back on track. Maybe it's me....but I didn't read it that way. But I've been wrong before.

Wow....I didn't know or read that. In that case I would have to agree with the masses....

And that mfp giving a (completely reasonable imho) estimate for SIX hours of walking broke her again.

Six miles, not six hours.
  • orsonsmith
    orsonsmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that I have been there. Going from a VERY restrictive diet (500 calories a day) to eating what I thought was a healthy amount. Every time I wound up gaining. Then getting depressed about gaining which led to binging and more gaining. Give her a more healthy and realistic goal and get her to stick with it. Eventually she will even out. And for the record, getting on MFP and being able to keep track of my calories in/out is what has kept me eating healthy.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Wow - lots of opinions on lots of things in this thread.

How about talking to her about body recomposition? Eat at TDEE (or keep it at 1700), lift weights, and be patient. She would not be expecting to lose weight - only to look fitter in the long run. It's a slow process, but it doesn't involve the scale so much as being in control of the intake at a reasonable level, getting stronger, and looking fitter.

Just a thought since she is at a healthy weight already.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

But that's just me.

Says 6 hours here:

"i had fixed her eating disorder... until now, the blame lies at the feet of fitnesspal who say 6 hours walking burns 500-600 cals..."
  • TGTiger
    TGTiger Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    y5m3nmzl8k8e.jpg

That is the best freaking flowchart that I have ever seen!!! Hits everything on the head too. Very nice!!!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    akf2000 wrote: »
    I would agree that walking calories are HUGELY overestimated, not just on MFP.

Read this, I use the formula in here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Online calculators are basically doubling the true number. When you hear people say 'eat back 50%' that's really an indication of how terrible the estimates are.

According to the formula here, she should burn 465 cals for walking 6 miles, not that far off op's original 500 calorie estimation

That's total, so you would have to subtract the amount of calories should normally burns through out the day from the amount of time it took her to walk those 6 miles. So if she does it in 16 minute miles that is 465 - 113 = 352. That is assuming that the 6 miles is truly on top of what she would normally do, and if that 6 miles is spread out through out the day, and at a slower pace the difference is even more.

No you don't if set to sedentary ..why would you overcomplicate things

It's a moot point

Nobody, no matter how well meaning or caring, should ever try to "fix" someone with a severe mental illness like an eating disorder. It is inappropriate at best, at worst it can be fatal. Please step back. Please encourage your girlfriend to contact a professional team with experience...because all you can do is hurt her while trying to help

Even if she was overweight, which she clearly isn't, your well meaning help is sorely misplaced

I didn't say she was sedentary... going by what the OP calculater her TDEE at.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

But that's just me.

Says 6 hours here:

"i had fixed her eating disorder... until now, the blame lies at the feet of fitnesspal who say 6 hours walking burns 500-600 cals..."

First post:
    We calculated a maintenance of 1700 cals, and set a target of around 1200 daily, which she met for about 8-9 weeks. She walked 6 miles a day Mon-Fri which apparantly burns 500 cals-ish, so we added those 500 on meaning on these days she'd eat 1700 cals.
  • ogtmama
    Options

But that's just me.

Says 6 hours here:

First post:
    We calculated a maintenance of 1700 cals, and set a target of around 1200 daily, which she met for about 8-9 weeks. She walked 6 miles a day Mon-Fri which apparantly burns 500 cals-ish, so we added those 500 on meaning on these days she'd eat 1700 cals.

Who knows which is right...
  • ogtmama
    edited October 2016
    Options

But that's just me.

Says 6 hours here:

First post:

Who knows which one was accurate...

Also impossible to know the rate of calories burned anyway without knowing speed and level of incline.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    @joshsparkes Where did you get her maintenance calories from? 1700 seems low - most of the calculators that I normally use are giving her a TDEE closer to 2000-2100.

Her BMI is 21.6 - that is right in the middle of a healthy range, she should not be eating a 500 calorie deficit to lose weight even if 1700 was actually the correct number of maintenance calories.

You have given her terrible advice.

I stand by my original statement that she should not be focusing on losing weight, especially at such a steep deficit. She needs to lift weights and focus on body composition while either eating maintenance or a very slight deficit.

That is, if she wants to. If she doesn't want to, I don't see any reason why she would have to, given that she is already at a healthy weight for her height.

*nods*
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    orsonsmith wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that I have been there. Going from a VERY restrictive diet (500 calories a day) to eating what I thought was a healthy amount. Every time I wound up gaining. Then getting depressed about gaining which led to binging and more gaining. Give her a more healthy and realistic goal and get her to stick with it. Eventually she will even out. And for the record, getting on MFP and being able to keep track of my calories in/out is what has kept me eating healthy.

Look, the OP says she has an eating disorder and he "fixed" her by restricting her calories. Now she "feels like" she's gaining weight and it's all MFPs fault. She needs professional help not a more realistic goal. She's already at a healthy weight.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Calories too high

Probably not eating enough protein

High sugar or high carbohydrates cause water weight gain and increased appetite- no more chocolate cake for now, let her have chocolate protein shakes instead

Have her do more exercise than just walking (and walking doesn't burn 500 calories a day)

Make sure she sticks to proper macros not just calories
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Calories too high

Probably not eating enough protein

High sugar or high carbohydrates cause water weight gain and increased appetite- no more chocolate cake for now, let her have chocolate protein shakes instead

Have her do more exercise than just walking (and walking doesn't burn 500 calories a day)

Make sure she sticks to proper macros not just calories

Myfitnesspal ProTip:

Read the entire thread before replying. More was revealed, and it may change your perspective. At least, I hope it does.

Ew.