KFC/Chemical High

Options
1235»

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid KFC & Chinese food because the MSG, is like taking 2 doses of ZzzQuil; back to back & then all of those hours of sleeping, gives me a headache!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Exactly how is KFC "crap" anyway?

Is fried chicken "crap" in general? How do you turn chicken (which is widely regarded as a healthy food ) into "crap" by adding some spice and frying it anyway?

And mashed potatoes? I mean, aren't they just boiled potatoes with some butter? These things are not "crap"

Or the side dishes. Baked beans? All that fiber and deliciousness are "crap"? Or the macaroni & cheese.. is it the fat that's "crap"? Or the carbohydrates? Because we need fat and carbohydrates as well as protein. Or is it the high salt content, which isn't an issue unless you have high blood pressure or kidney failure, and is actually beneficial to people who sweat a lot?

I really don't understand how someone else preparing your food makes it "crap".

in91u3yoa3on.png

Here's a sample meal: 1 chicken breast, 1 serving baked beans, 1 side salad

570 calories total (totally workable in almost any diet scheme)
    12 g dietary fiber (that's nearly 50% of your daily intake!)
    48 g protein
    18g fat (I'm liking this protein: fat ratio)
    1930 mg sodium

This can be worked into nearly any diet if you want it, and the food itself is just food. Yes, there are leavening agents and salts and flavorings in the food, but most of us who cook at home also put in leavening agents and salts and flavorings when we cook. We just don't think about them by their chemical names. The FDA requires food be labeled with specific chemical names rather than common names for reasons of specificity. It makes a lot of labels look scarier than they really are because most people are chemically illiterate.

That's actually a lot of salt for one meal. You're not supposed to have more than 2300 mgs a day. But that's just my opinion.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Oh Lord. OK disclaimer *KFC is not addictive neither is any other food because if that were true, EVERYONE who ever ate KFC would be addicted to it. However, KFC chicken is designed with the ability to increase the likelihood of it becoming addictive to an individual, similar to McDonald's. If you don't believe these heavy weight international fast food chains don't have food scientist helping them reach a particular taste then you're either deluded or uneducated to even debate the matter. The information isn't a "conspiracy" or "top secret". A quick Google search and you'll find it. That being said KFC isn't "bad" nor is it "good" it's just food. It is what it is. You can still fit fast food into your macros. It can be done. But If you're one of those individuals who becomes addicted to KFC then unfortunately that's bad luck. And you should probably stay away from it if it's beginning to have adverse effects on your health. To the lady above me @tomteboda . Yes chicken, potatoes & beans are excellent foods. Made any which way *generally. However if you think KFC is 100% natural chicken then you probably believe McDonald's burgers are made from grass fed beef. I hope I'm wrong because it didn't know it was possible to be in 2016 and not know you're not getting 100% normal/organic food from those 2 food chains. The stuff is nice don't get me wrong but don't bury your head in the sand now. In summary, KFC isn't addictive.

Can you post this easy-to-find link?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    By the way, the fingers I'm typing this with are 100% made up of chemicals. Everything organic is chemical -- as has been pointed out hundreds of times in this forum.

I realise that, my parents are scientists/medical professionals. I kind of mean chemicals made in the lab to produce pleasure or cravings. Chemicals put in food that are unnatural and that the body doesn't agree with.

While such things exist, it's pretty well universally illegal to put them in food for human consumption.

6qlcyfip3vi8.jpeg

Legal food additives include preservatives, dyes to improve color, flavorings and thickeners. Here is a list of European Union approved food additives: https://www.food.gov.uk/science/additives/enumberlist#toc-5

I don't think its illegal. All kinds of stuff gets put into processed foods. They put corn syrup into foods under unidentifiable names and multiple other products with names that can't be pronounced or random numbers.

I don't think adding food colouring to food is a good thing. Or things to enhance flavours if it makes it addictive.

They used to make foods and leave the fat in, but in the 70s or 80s people wanted to lose weight, so they started selling products as low fat or fat free, and since the flavour from the fat was gone, they increased the amount of sugar and other chemicals. It has made us very unhealthy. I'm not saying we should eat lots of fat, but the foods should have been left as they were, we could have still eaten it in moderation and been alright.

Anyway, I feel like this thread has gone off topic. I just want to know what it is about KFC that feels so good to me and why the cravings don't subside, even after weeks. Why do I want the KFC when something made at home tastes better to me? it has to be the chemicals.

The things they put in food to make it crave-worthy is fat, sugar, and salt, under various names. For example, a lot more foods have cheese (or something cheese-like) in them than used to be the case. Salt and sugar are added to some things in greater proportion too, because people seem to enjoy it. This is not unlike how good restaurants will cook stuff in butter.

The reason KFC tastes good to you is probably fat + salt, and perhaps cooking methods not available to you at home. (I don't really think KFC is particularly good fried chicken, though, so can't speak beyond that, and I think good fried chicken is hard to turn down (and homemade is wonderful), even though the calories make it a rare treat for me and I never make it for myself since I never learned to make really good fried chicken and hate frying things.)

Unless you are a bad cook, there's nothing KFC can (significantly) put in their food that you cannot put in your homemade to make it crave worthy. If you are the sort of person who's "addicted" to KFC, chances are you also tend to be addicted to other foods in absence of KFC.

Our family eats a lot of fried or rotisserie chickens from various places. KFC is good due to its uniqueness, not because of fat, salt, which contrarily we find too much and off putting, especially if you're not used to the amount. Again, nothing addictive, good or uniqueness from fat, salt from KFC or any chicken places.

In conclusion, we love Popeyes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @Red_Pill

What kind of foods can you get a dopamine release from at home cooked meals?

I used to self-medicate with food but these days I get high from exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You can test out your addiction theory by getting full everyday with non KFC foods and see if you still have to sneak out for a bite of KFC. I highly doubt it.

The question is, can I get full without going over my calories? (something I struggle with). What I find is if I am not watching my calories, but eat some healthy stuff before I go to KFC I am satisfied with a smaller portion.

Sure, find what foods work best to satiate you and focus on them.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP can you clarify what your goals are and what your main concerns are? I'm having a hard time telling from this thread if your goal is weight loss, you've also mentioned some diabetes concerns? You seem concerned about the chemicals in KFC but I'm not sure if you're trying to avoid chemicals in general (which is impossible since everything is made of chemicals) or trying to limit certain ones like MSG? Are you trying to restrict sodium or fat, a couple of things that KFC would be fairly high in. When you eat KFC does it satisfy you and can you fit it in your calories? Are you trying to find more satiating foods in general?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's the evil sodium bicarbonate

Best. Thread. Ever.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

But, but, if everyone uses this to design their chickens to be unnaturally hyper-palatable (aka "cooked"), everyone will be addicted! Oh Noes!!! :o
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But, but, if everyone uses this to design their chickens to be unnaturally hyper-palatable (aka "cooked"), everyone will be addicted! Oh Noes!!! :o

Clearly, I did not think this through. My bad!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Clearly, I did not think this through. My bad!

Now I want KFC :angry:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Someone's reaching out for understanding and you're being sarcastic. What are you 12? Add some value at least. And darling just because you can take a back shot of your muscles doesn't make you a world renowned dietician who's word is the gospel. Not saying you don't have good advice you probably do so share it without coming across like a 12 year old. In the words of the Hodge Twins: This is just advice, you can do whatever f**k you wanna do :smile:

You haven't been around here very long.

That sodium bicarbonate line was a reference to an old thread back in the day. An in joke for people who've been around a while.

So just save your rant.

Yeah but neither have you. I'm assuming you used another username previously? :smile:

OP there are plenty of KFC-esque recipes out there you can try at home, which you can make to your own specifications, minus any chemicals. Either this or save KFC as treat you have once a month or so.

Here's a recipe you could try:

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/copycat-kfc-original-style-chicken/97c93d14-9d8c-4bc7-96dc-1e0b37e4fcaa

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Someone's reaching out for understanding and you're being sarcastic. What are you 12? Add some value at least. And darling just because you can take a back shot of your muscles doesn't make you a world renowned dietician who's word is the gospel. Not saying you don't have good advice you probably do so share it without coming across like a 12 year old. In the words of the Hodge Twins: This is just advice, you can do whatever f**k you wanna do :smile:

That sodium bicarbonate line was a reference to an old thread back in the day. An in joke for people who've been around a while.

So just save your rant.

Yeah but neither have you. I'm assuming you used another username previously? :smile:

OP there are plenty of KFC-esque recipes out there you can try at home, which you can make to your own specifications, minus any chemicals. Either this or save KFC as treat you have once a month or so.

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/copycat-kfc-original-style-chicken/97c93d14-9d8c-4bc7-96dc-1e0b37e4fcaa

Yeah I ignored that part. She's talking to herself there. And I got a warning for "attacking" someone with my comment.. Who even reports comments on a forum or online for that matter, what is this lol? Anyway, whoever was offended, my apologies. Great recipe post btw. Bookmarked.

I haven't reported anyone, but I have found most of the posts on this thread irritating. The tone hasn't been so good.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

So just save your rant.

Indeed, I'm a returning user. I've kinda made no secret of that.

The fact that I knew what the joke was should have clued the two of you in. My post count is irrelevant here.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

So just save your rant.

Yeah I ignored that part. She's talking to herself there. And I got a warning for "attacking" someone with my comment.. Who even reports comments on a forum or online for that matter, what is this lol? Anyway, whoever was offended, my apologies. Great recipe post btw. Bookmarked.

I haven't reported anyone, but I have found most of the posts on this thread irritating. The tone hasn't been so good.

I know it wasn't you, frankly it doesn't really matter. What matters is you've been educated on the topic of a food high, dopamine, cravings etc. As for the latter tone of the thread, I agree. However that's usually how it goes around here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    By the way, the fingers I'm typing this with are 100% made up of chemicals. Everything organic is chemical -- as has been pointed out hundreds of times in this forum.

I realise that, my parents are scientists/medical professionals. I kind of mean chemicals made in the lab to produce pleasure or cravings. Chemicals put in food that are unnatural and that the body doesn't agree with.

While such things exist, it's pretty well universally illegal to put them in food for human consumption.

6qlcyfip3vi8.jpeg

Legal food additives include preservatives, dyes to improve color, flavorings and thickeners. Here is a list of European Union approved food additives: https://www.food.gov.uk/science/additives/enumberlist#toc-5

I don't think its illegal. All kinds of stuff gets put into processed foods. They put corn syrup into foods under unidentifiable names and multiple other products with names that can't be pronounced or random numbers.

I don't think adding food colouring to food is a good thing. Or things to enhance flavours if it makes it addictive.

They used to make foods and leave the fat in, but in the 70s or 80s people wanted to lose weight, so they started selling products as low fat or fat free, and since the flavour from the fat was gone, they increased the amount of sugar and other chemicals. It has made us very unhealthy. I'm not saying we should eat lots of fat, but the foods should have been left as they were, we could have still eaten it in moderation and been alright.

Anyway, I feel like this thread has gone off topic. I just want to know what it is about KFC that feels so good to me and why the cravings don't subside, even after weeks. Why do I want the KFC when something made at home tastes better to me? it has to be the chemicals.

The things they put in food to make it crave-worthy is fat, sugar, and salt, under various names. For example, a lot more foods have cheese (or something cheese-like) in them than used to be the case. Salt and sugar are added to some things in greater proportion too, because people seem to enjoy it. This is not unlike how good restaurants will cook stuff in butter.

The reason KFC tastes good to you is probably fat + salt, and perhaps cooking methods not available to you at home. (I don't really think KFC is particularly good fried chicken, though, so can't speak beyond that, and I think good fried chicken is hard to turn down (and homemade is wonderful), even though the calories make it a rare treat for me and I never make it for myself since I never learned to make really good fried chicken and hate frying things.)

Unless you are a bad cook, there's nothing KFC can (significantly) put in their food that you cannot put in your homemade to make it crave worthy. If you are the sort of person who's "addicted" to KFC, chances are you also tend to be addicted to other foods in absence of KFC.

Our family eats a lot of fried or rotisserie chickens from various places. KFC is good due to its uniqueness, not because of fat, salt, which contrarily we find too much and off putting, especially if you're not used to the amount. Again, nothing addictive, good or uniqueness from fat, salt from KFC or any chicken places.

In conclusion, we love Popeyes.

Why on earth are you directing this to me or quoting my post?

I do happen to agree that if one likes KFC or Popeyes (neither of which I think is particularly good fried chicken) that you will find decent homemade just as difficult to resist.