Does anyone else weigh themselves everyday??

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yup, sure do. It helps me to stay on track each day and especially helps me to avoid the afternoon / evening munchies :smile: it's the only thing that eventually worked for me in fact.. every night I'd have to have snacks and while I kept them healthy for the most part I found it too easy to justify my "snacking". It's a habit I wanted to quit so I began to weigh myself every morning. I saw the trend... when I snack at night I'm heavier in the morning and when I don't, I'm down. I prefer to be down so.... when the urge to snack at night hits me I just remind myself that I'll be weighing in the next morning and that kills the urge.
  • moishepipik
    moishepipik Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's a number. Deal with it! :-)
    It's neither good nor bad, but it's an accurate unbiased measure of your progress.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Most days, but not after a big night out as alcohol causes huge fluctuations ;-)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    RosezMuse wrote: »
    No, not daily... there's too much fluctuation. I also don't count my weight by the pound. I judge my goals as I'm in the high 250's, mid 250's, low 250's, etc. That takes into account bobbling up and down and doesn't distract me from the fact that I am losing.

Not to pick on you because I have seen others say the same thing, but this makes no sense at all. If you weigh yourself daily for a month you'll see 30 weights that fluctuate... allowing you to throw out the outliers and see the overall trend. If you weigh yourself weekly you'll see 4 weights that will still have the same level of fluctuation . The difference is that you won't know if you happened to hit 4 low or high days. You won't be able to throw out the outliers because you won't have enough data. If you weigh yourself once a month you have even less data... pick a low day and you'll be happy for a month, pick a high day and you'll be upset for a month.

Weigh fairly often (daily seems reasonable to me) and understand there will be fluctuations. Look for the underlying trend.

This is so true!
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and log it into Weightgrapher. From first hand experience, I know that if I was to weigh in on two random days that are two weeks apart, the difference might be 0.0 pounds or 3.0 pounds. If I was only weighing in a few times a month, I'd never really know what is happening soon enough to make changes to my intake or exercise. I might think I've lost only 1 pound when it's really more like 5. I strongly encourage you to get as many data points as you can stomach and look at the trends over a span of weeks.
  • n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit scale, so it dumps the weight on that site, here, and into runkeeper automagically. I weigh in every day or there about. If you are knowledgeable about the saltiness of foods you've eaten, you won't sweat the temporary jumps from water retention.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Personal decision, if it doesn't help don't do it ;)
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself everyday, but sometimes I forget, but I don't see a problem with checking it once a day. So long as you're not doing it 10 times a day and becoming obsessed with the numbers on it and trying everything you possibly can to make those numbers drop. I have apps on my phone that I can input my weight and record what changes have been made and see the progress of how far I've come from where I was.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and often multiple times a day when I'm losing weight. It keeps me honest as others have said, and as long as it's a general downward trend I don't worry about ups and downs. One reason I weigh myself multiple times a day is that I find I'm "lighter" in the evening when I'm about to hit a new low on the scale.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Are there any weight trending apps that work with a blue tooth scale, or that connect and pick up your weight from MFP? or do they all have to be logged independently? I use Apple stuff (IOS) phone, iPad, Watch.

@nowine4me - There are several iOS apps which work with a wi-fi/BT scale, the most popular being Happy Scale. Weight Diary (which is the one I'm currently using) also works. On the web, Trendweight.com will also pick it up from the scale, log it and display your weight trend. I'm using a Withings wi-fi scale, but I believe certain other brands will work as well (check the apps for details).
  • susanknosby
    susanknosby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hubn8147 wrote: »
    I weigh myself every day - I have for years. I keep a little book in my bathroom and I write it down every day. Some people think it's crazy that I do that, but I have tried not weighing myself every day and it's amazing how the weight just piles on!

I wt myself every day went I'm losing, but maintain 1 to 2 a week. Work for me.
  • jojoshepherd
    jojoshepherd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going to start back up!! I seem to always do better. I think it keeps me more aware.
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Most people say once a week, but when I did that I found myself thinking, "I can eat this and enjoy it now, then work out hard later. I have __ days until I weigh in. I can work it all off by then.” Of course, that hard workout never happened and I didn't lose much weight. I also was too impatient to wait until my weigh-in day. Weighing every day keeps me more accountable, so I make better choices every day. I know there will be many days when I have a loss instead of a gain, and I'm ok with that. There will always be ups and downs in weight loss. Seeing little losses often is more encouraging and motivating to me because losing inches takes a lot longer to see progress. Not everybody feels the same way. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever works for you.
  • Duane2013
    Duane2013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is like looking at your stock portfolio everyday. You (I) do it, probably shouldn't, because IT WILL drive you crazy ~~~~~
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Duane2013 wrote: »
    Weighing every day is like looking at your stock portfolio everyday. You (I) do it, probably shouldn't, because IT WILL drive you crazy ~~~~~

Even if you only look at your stock portfolio once a year you can see what it was valued at every single day since you last looked. You can still see the long-term trend line. If you don't weigh yourself daily that data doesn't exist anywhere.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well. It illustrates the repercussions of a cheat day and how many days it takes to right the ship. With that knowledge in hand, there are less cheat days.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how the scale affects you mentally. If you equate the scale with your worth as a person then you should probably take a step back. If you use the scale as a tool to know what's happening with your body, how sodium, DOMS, menstrual cycle, etc. affect your weight fluctuations, then it's not a problem.

I've weighed weekly and daily, and I've settled on daily. It works for me. Do what works for you and will give you the most peace of mind.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I was inputting my foods into the MFProgram for 1 1/2years. For the last six months I have NOT and have been weighing myself daily and recording the weight amount in a book; then transpose to MFP. I am comfortable with weight fluctuations now as I have learned as to "what" may cause the weight fluctuations. An example would be when I eat Asian or Mexican (every 3-4 months) my weight fluctuates about 2#due to salt causing water retention. Oh well is my mantra. I then correct the situation by consuming more water, Epsom salt bath. The majority of time I stay on track eating PLANNED foods.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i weight every day and log it every day. the good the bad and the ugly
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    every morning after my evacuation process... haha TMI ? Enquiring minds want to know... Plus I like seeing the digital scale bounce to the lesser weight then settle on what it is that morning. Then I know I am about to go down another pound in a day or two... 239 today but saw 238 for a a second... I started at 284 on January 1. Slow and steady is the protocol...