Does anyone else weigh themselves everyday??

Options

Replies

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not me! I'm trying to work up to not weighing myself at all (or at least not more than weekly or monthly).
  • ebosch9098
    ebosch9098 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    currently, weigh-in weekly
  • Effie008
    Effie008 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself everyday, just once a week. I find it too distracting if I do and it used to stress me out, the last time I was on a diet. In particular as soon as I gained a few grams I was getting disappointed and lost focus on my goal. Now I weight myself once a week and I get a nice surprise, which I find is great. I hop on and think , Really? yay lol
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've been weighing myself every day for the last 5 months, I like to follow the trends and know what's working for me and what isn't.
  • Effie008
    Effie008 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    JeffreyOC wrote: »
    I've been weighing myself every day for the last 5 months, I like to follow the trends and know what's working for me and what isn't.

That's brave!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale define you!! I stopped doing it because it doesn't really describe all the things that are going on inside your body when you take proper care of yourself. Your weight is not who you are!! I weigh once a month maximum if that. The way my clothes feel on me is my main guide.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everday, and I have a rule that if my weight goes up then I have to go back to logging my food.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I weight every day. It helps me with progress. I have a withings scale that automatically sends weight to mfp so it logs whenever i weigh myself. I also use trendweight.com to see what my long term trends is, it helps to eliminate the fluctuations.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    The scale makes me a nervous wreck because it fluctuates too much. So instead I weigh once a month and focus on BF%

I'm glad you found something that works for you, that would never work for me. You are still going to have the fluctuation, you just won't know if the weight gain (or loss) is real or fluctuation. In theory I like the focus on BF% but if you're talking about focusing on what a scale tells you BF% is that's even worse. Those scales are not at all accurate and bounce around wildly based on hydration levels.

Focusing on how you look in a mirror and/or how your clothes fit is a pretty good approach.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every morning on an Aria scale, which logs it to my FitBit account, and to MFP. After a year of doing this I have a good idea of the general trend -- pretty steady, thank god! -- and also how the minor daily fluctuations relate to my diet and exercise regimen. If I'm suddenly up a pound or two I can usually trace that either to a high-sodium cheat meal (Chinese food!), or to water weight gain from a particularly grueling workout. Usually those extra "surprise" pounds will disappear as suddenly as they appeared; if they don't, then that's a wake-up call, and I need to pay closer attention to what I'm eating, and how much. I can't imagine trying to maintain based on a once a month -- or even once a week -- weigh-in schedule; but that may be just me.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's sort of comforting to me to see the overall trend on the graph. And then I don't freak out with the minor fluctuations - it's not a goal number, but a goal range. I can live with that!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It depends, I weigh daily and track it in a spreadsheet however some people find weighing daily stresses them out. I'd do what suits you best and what you feel comfortable with.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try but don't always succeed. At minimum I weigh myself 3/4 times a week
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    every day
  • gladysbtg
    gladysbtg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do! ! Helps a lot. I knkw it fluctuates day by day! Hormones, water intake and bowel movement.

But youll notice theres a pattern! Helps you pinpoint what u may havr missed.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The evidence supports this (think habits of skinny people) weighing yourself at least a couple of times per week (http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/secrets-thin-people). It is important to not be compulsive about it. A problem that is very common in gym goers. Yes it is a form of OCD and yes while there are far worse things to be OCD about, it still is a form of mental illness and rarely is limited to just the gym or weighing oneself. Often causing conflicts with those around you. If you know you are prone to this kind of behavior you should probably set a limit (stick to it) of how many times to do it. Otherwise it can become too much and have adverse consequences that go way beyond stepping on the scale. Jillian Michaels points this out as well, as I'm sure she has noticed it more than a few times in her line of work.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ibboykin wrote: »
    I try but don't always succeed. At minimum I weigh myself 3/4 times a week

This is actually where I am also. I would weigh myself daily but sometimes family duties get in the way... if I end up eating breakfast before I am able to weigh myself I usually just skip that day since I know it would be a pound or two higher than my usual first thing naked weighing.
  • gabriella_meras23
    Options
    I do it. For me it is something I need to do it helps to keep myself accountable for what I eat that day. When I don't weigh myself I notice I tend to think "one cookie won't hurt". But when I see that number every single day it keeps me away from that "one cookie".
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i do it all the time, for fun. it fascinates me how i can eat lunch or drink my morning coffee and the scale will go up by two pounds.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I don't freak out over the natural bouncing any more, and it helped me conquer scale anxiety.