So this happened..

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You get boxed macaroni cheese here, but it's not like that's the gold standard. It doesn't have the same status as it seems to in the States where it's a kind of Platonic ideal. Nor is it usual to use processed cheese for cooking. It only comes in slices and is for sandwiches or cheeseburgers.

We make macaroni with cheese. Cheese, milk, butter and flour. Cheddar, usually.

Frankly, I don't get the obsession with boxed macaroni cheese. It's rubbish. If you want ready made macaroni cheese, you can buy it frozen, but honestly, plain pasta with butter and grated cheese is better than that boxed stuff. It doesn't taste of anything and it isn't even that easy to make, you have to add milk and butter and stir it for ages, it's hardly instant. Certainly no easier than making a cornflour-based cheese sauce.

I can only assume it's one of those nostalgia things, but to voluntarily choose that over real macaroni cheese... It's sadness in a box.

But then, we have CANNED macaroni cheese, and that is WORSE.

Omg that canned macaroni cheese had an interesting after taste didn't it?

Heinz ..how do you do so wrong
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You get boxed macaroni cheese here, but it's not like that's the gold standard. It doesn't have the same status as it seems to in the States where it's a kind of Platonic ideal. Nor is it usual to use processed cheese for cooking. It only comes in slices and is for sandwiches or cheeseburgers.

Frankly, I don't get the obsession with boxed macaroni cheese. It's rubbish. If you want ready made macaroni cheese, you can buy it frozen, but honestly, plain pasta with butter and grated cheese is better than that boxed stuff. It doesn't taste of anything and it isn't even that easy to make, you have to add milk and butter and stir it for ages, it's hardly instant. Certainly no easier than making a cornflour-based cheese sauce.

I can only assume it's one of those nostalgia things, but to voluntarily choose that over real macaroni cheese... It's sadness in a box.

LOL, I didn't even imagine something like that COULD be canned.

I do think it's a nostalgia thing.

Truthfully, I'm a little out of the loop as to what's popular nowadays - no t.v. and so no ads (I do use netflix), and I've unintentionally surrounded myself with people who have similar ways of doing things. Do most of my neighbors live on processed cheese and bad chocolate? I have no idea. They seemed to back in the days when I was more social, but I've also noticed that better quality items are more accessible now than they used to be.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Wait, cornflour? No no no. Plain flour!

And for added yum, a few slices of tomato, a sprinkle of cheese and breadcrumbs, under the grill. YUM!

Canned macaroni is so weird. But I've had mac and cheese in the States that has tasted eerily similar.........
  • Sara1791
    Options
    I'm about to go find out if it's possible to make a single serving of mac & cheese with just a teaspoon of flour and a teaspoon of butter and a single ounce of cheddar. Wish me luck!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm sad that none of the macaroni cheese recipes so far have beer in them. Beer macaroni cheese is the best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, Velveeta isn't a thing here in the UK.

Not a thing in the US either. Also, the current presidential election is not happening.

Denial works for me. ;-)

I don't think I've ever actually had Velveeta, however. We did used to make an afternoon snack involving 4 saltines, a quartered slice of American cheese product, and pimento-stuffed olives, though. You melted the cheese on the cracker in the microwave.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I know what a roux is and I use cheddar cheese to make mac and cheese, but I admit to have microwaved a block of velveeta with a can of rotel tomatoes. Pretty good as a dip.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My Mom always started mac & cheese with a proper butter/flour roux - and then added 2 lbs. of Velveeta :p
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would like that.

It's like, there seems to be this perception of Velveeta as a naughty indulgence. It seems more like a punishment to me. A whole block of processed cheese? Do you want some Soylent Green with that?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's especially puzzling because as I understand it it's just as expensive as real cheese. That has me stumped. The only point of fake cheese is that it's cheap, surely?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Well, if you had eaten 14, you would have been fine, but you had to cross the line. Diabetes for you!
    @nutmegoreo I knew I liked you & this is why, your sense of humor!! :laugh:

• Sara1791
    Options
    It's especially puzzling because as I understand it it's just as expensive as real cheese. That has me stumped. The only point of fake cheese is that it's cheap, surely?

It's the way it melts. It's kind of creamy.

BTW, my single serve of scratch macaroni & cheese worked except I tried to top it with a little sprinkle of red pepper flakes but the bottle turned out not to be a shaker. It's pretty spicy.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    I know what a roux is and I use cheddar cheese to make mac and cheese, but I admit to have microwaved a block of velveeta with a can of rotel tomatoes. Pretty good as a dip.

I've had this. You're right, it's pretty tasty. Rotel is one of those things I found late in life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Like I said, not an expert, but this (from wiki) is consistent with what I've heard from those who have fond memories of it:

"Velveeta is the brand name of a processed cheese product having a taste that is identified as a type of American cheese, but with a softer and smoother texture than cheese. As a result, when melted/heated, Velveeta maintains a fully integrated, and evenly clump-free liquid texture—the opposite of what results when cheese is melted or cooked at high heat."

As a kid my sister would always want American cheese on a burger/grilled cheese sandwich for similar reasons and because it had less of a distinctive taste than swiss or cheddar so melded better or something.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Please stop boogering up this glorious chocolate thread with talk of the disgustingness that is Velveeta.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    In the US section of the supermarket the other day they had jars of queso dip and I nearly bought it because curious.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I had cheese slices, well, outside Maccas anyway and even then that's rare. If I make burgers at home they do slices of blue cheese now for burgers, so I get those because I'm such a food snob.*

*Actually just making up for lost time, took my palate 32 years to come to terms with how awesome mouldy cheese is.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also, Velveeta isn't a thing here in the UK.

Then how do you make Mac and cheese???

Ummm

Boil macaroni
    Melt butter, tsp English mustard powder, clove garlic for 1 minute, add flour to make roue, add milk then extra strong cheddar
    Mix with macaroni, top with more cheese and some panko breadcrumbs and bake till top is crispy

Why? How do you make macaroni cheese (no and)

That sounds delicious and is what we call specifically Baked Macaroni and Cheese.

When I make Mac and cheese I:
    1) boil and drain macaroni
    2) add milk and velveeta
    3) heat and stir on stove until melty
    4) serve

We have Kraft boxed Mac and cheese made from powder but that's the kind of thing you get for cheap and serve with hot dogs to children for an easy lunch. It's not our standard bearer.