So this happened..

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Domino's is terrible pizza but I love it. Why do I love it?? Maybe it is because i am from a dunking culture...

There's a wonderful thing that has happened in one of the shopping centres in Glasgow - they've replaced the typical food court with a rotating selection of street food stalls. One of them does wood fired pizza. It is wonderful and you can stand and watch it baking in their little portable pizza oven. They even serve it on cardboard circles, which makes me so happy as the crust stays crispy. Honestly, who else gets distressed in restaurants when they pull your gorgeous crispy pizza out of the oven and slap it on a wooden board - or worse, a china plate??? It's like a soggy tortilla before you've finished the first slice! It breaks my heart. At least put a cloth under it, or some paper. Pretend you care!

Anyway, we seem to have lost the OP. What was the question again?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Did the OP actually ever follow up on her post? I don't remember. I kept on getting distracted by chocolate...

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Did the OP actually ever follow up on her post? I don't remember. I kept on getting distracted by chocolate...

I don't think they did. We might have scared them off........
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    There used to be a teacake that you could peel the mallow off with your mouth to leave the chocolate jam biscuit bit ..so you'd eat the shell, then peel off the mallow and eat it like a marshmallow ...those mallows in tunnocks are gooey...they vaguely upset me in their wrongness

Those sound like Viva Puffs to me. Haven't had one of those since I was a kid.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Those look like Mallomars that we have in the US, but without the central fruit blob
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I've never had a Mallomar but I'm reliably informed that a Tunnock's Teacake is what Mallomars want to be when they grow up.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    It seems to me that preaching that there is absolutely no causation when we see a correlation is a bit reckless. There is a big difference between something being unproven and being false and there are a lot of grey areas in this world where would probably be wise to exercise a little caution.

Causation and correlation are two entirely different statistical terms. For the purposes of research (and this type of comparison) they cannot be interchanged. As correlation implies there is some kind of relationship, but it is unknown what other factors may contribute to the relationship and how strong their influence may be. Causation is achieved only through a few very specific statistical tests which provide for control of those extraneous factors to limit their influence on the variables being studied.

That's why there is a body of research about many things which talk about correlation, and a great deal less saying "causation" because it is so difficult to statistically achieve.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wow, that was a change of pace.

It's a good point. A lot of cases we assume causation has been proven, but if you listen to the wording of medics or professionals in the field you'll hear then use words like "associated" - "obesity is associated with an increased risk of such-and-such". There's enough evidence implying causation that it's worth acting on, but it's not actually proven. Proven causation like "smoking causes lung cancer" seems quite rare.

ETA Of course, we're taking about statistical proof - if you have evidence of the actual mechanism it becomes easier, and looking at a case in retrospect makes it easier still. "This broken arm was caused by falling out of a tree" is easier to say with confidence than "your weight could cause diabetes".
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh I love Tunnocks teacakes. I've had 1packet whilst losing my weight but I'll defo put them on this week's shopping list....I can feel my tongue curling round the meringue...oooooh >:)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Is now the time to disclose I am really indifferent to Oreos...........

Me too. In fact, like Nilla wafers, I tend to think the only point of them is to dunk in a glass of milk, so if I have calories for something sweet I'll spend them in some other way.

I'd eat the hell out of a street vendor's falafel sandwich, though.

My mom used to make something out of Nilla wafers when the bananas had gone a bit over ripe. She would smooth them into vanilla pudding and put that over the Nilla wafers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Is now the time to disclose I am really indifferent to Oreos...........

Me too. In fact, like Nilla wafers, I tend to think the only point of them is to dunk in a glass of milk, so if I have calories for something sweet I'll spend them in some other way.

I'd eat the hell out of a street vendor's falafel sandwich, though.

My mom used to make something out of Nilla wafers when the bananas had gone a bit over ripe. She would smooth them into vanilla pudding and put that over the Nilla wafers.

This? http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/desserts/original-nilla-banana-pudding-g.html

I vaguely remember something like it. My mom's go-to for overripe bananas was banana bread, though.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the chocolate-cheese party, but Velveeta Fudge is, erm, interesting:

Sift 2 lb powdered sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa into a bowl.
    Melt 1 cup butter with 1/2 lb Velveeta on medium heat, then stir into dry ingredients.
    Stir in 1 teas. vanilla and 1 cup nuts (if wanted).
    Spread in a baking dish and chill until firm.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the chocolate-cheese party, but Velveeta Fudge is, erm, interesting:

Melt 1 cup butter with 1/2 lb Velveeta on medium heat, then stir into dry ingredients.

You had me until you added Velveeta 0_o
    Now if you said cream cheese, I'd be all over that.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

You had me until you added Velveeta 0_o
    Now if you said cream cheese, I'd be all over that.

The mix of lbs and cups for solids in the same recipe lost me. Oh America. (Said with tongue firmly in cheek).
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Also, Velveeta isn't a thing here in the UK.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Then how do you make Mac and cheese???
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Ummm

Boil macaroni
    Melt butter, tsp English mustard powder, clove garlic for 1 minute, add flour to make roue, add milk then extra strong cheddar
    Mix with macaroni, top with more cheese and some panko breadcrumbs and bake till top is crispy

Why? How do you make macaroni cheese (no and)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Ummm

Boil macaroni
    Melt butter, tsp English mustard powder, clove garlic for 1 minute, add flour to make roue, add milk then extra strong cheddar
    Mix with macaroni, top with more cheese and some panko breadcrumbs and bake till top is crispy

That's how I do it but if you say roux to most Americans they think you're talking about Pooh's friend. It's the box stuff with either a squeeze pouch of goo or orange powder for most.

Velveeta used to be known as a cheese product (kind of like a chocolate candy), but now they make a box mac & cheese.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    You get boxed macaroni cheese here, but it's not like that's the gold standard. It doesn't have the same status as it seems to in the States where it's a kind of Platonic ideal. Nor is it usual to use processed cheese for cooking. It only comes in slices and is for sandwiches or cheeseburgers.

We make macaroni with cheese. Cheese, milk, butter and flour. Cheddar, usually.

Frankly, I don't get the obsession with boxed macaroni cheese. It's rubbish. If you want ready made macaroni cheese, you can buy it frozen, but honestly, plain pasta with butter and grated cheese is better than that boxed stuff. It doesn't taste of anything and it isn't even that easy to make, you have to add milk and butter and stir it for ages, it's hardly instant. Certainly no easier than making a cornflour-based cheese sauce.

I can only assume it's one of those nostalgia things, but to voluntarily choose that over real macaroni cheese... It's sadness in a box.

But then, we have CANNED macaroni cheese, and that is WORSE.
  • VintageFeline
    edited October 2016
    Options

Ummm

Boil macaroni

Yeah, the key word here is cheese. Cheese sauce. Actual, proper, cheese.

That's not to say I don't find comfort in the boxed one now and then but proper cheese sauce cannot be beaten.

Edit: Don't usually go for the garlic, will have to try. It's surprising really given my propensity to add 10 cloves of garlic to everything.