So this happened..

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Isn't the thing with Hershey's that they treat the milk so it has a longer shelf life and that process makes it a bit sour/spoilt milk tasting. So for those of who eat non-soured milk chocolate Hershey's tastes justifiably dreadful?

Yep. They heat the milk which is why Hershey's tastes like chocolate-flavored cheese. But if you grow up with it you can't taste it.

I've never tried Hershey's, but I grew up with chocolate flavored cheese, chocolate covered cheese, chocolate stuffed cheese... you name it. now I wonder if I should try it.

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

I very much am not on board with this. I think. But I do love cheese. And I do love chocolate. Conflicted. Confused.

Right there with you, lol.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I guess everyone has something they feel strongly about. I think some of you people feel about chocolate the way I feel about pizza. NYC real pizzeria, no chains, no deep dish, crispy crust, brick oven if possible but not a deal breaker, real cheese, not too sweet. There's an old joke about there not being any such thing as a bad pizza; I disagree.

If you only like pizza a certain way, you don't really like pizza.
    A true pizza lover loves the best pizza (which is Cassano's in sw Ohio, a St. Louis style thin crust pizza) and the worst pizza (little ceasar's).

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I guess everyone has something they feel strongly about. I think some of you people feel about chocolate the way I feel about pizza. NYC real pizzeria, no chains, no deep dish, crispy crust, brick oven if possible but not a deal breaker, real cheese, not too sweet. There's an old joke about there not being any such thing as a bad pizza; I disagree.

I'm completely with you. I'm so picky about my pizza now... there is DEFINITELY such a thing as disgusting pizza.

Agreed (except for the tiresome NYC is best pizza claim, of course, especially when people start insisting it's the water or going on about folding it over). ;-) I'm picky about my chocolate too, though, it's just some of the chocolate I like is pretty low brow. (I am with those who wouldn't waste calories on Hersheys, though. It's not that it tastes bad to me, just blah.)

I like quality. Quality ingredients and good technique should theoretically make good pizza anywhere. If I ever get to SW Ohio, I'll look up Cassano's, promise. :)

Sorry for being tiresome! edit: for getting my nose out of joint needlessly
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Isn't the thing with Hershey's that they treat the milk so it has a longer shelf life and that process makes it a bit sour/spoilt milk tasting. So for those of who eat non-soured milk chocolate Hershey's tastes justifiably dreadful?

Yep. They heat the milk which is why Hershey's tastes like chocolate-flavored cheese. But if you grow up with it you can't taste it.

I've never tried Hershey's, but I grew up with chocolate flavored cheese, chocolate covered cheese, chocolate stuffed cheese... you name it. now I wonder if I should try it.

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

I very much am not on board with this. I think. But I do love cheese. And I do love chocolate. Conflicted. Confused.

(looking at picture only) mmm yum, chocolate coated icecream...<bite) OMG WTF

What would you do for a Klondike bar? o:)
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    DAMMIT...Now I keep running to the door to see if my Amazon order had gotten here yet. 3 bags of sugar free reese cups and 3 bags of sugar free hershey and hershey filled with caramel bars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

(looking at picture only) mmm yum, chocolate coated icecream...<bite) OMG WTF

This is made me laugh.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

A true pizza lover loves the best pizza (which is Cassano's in sw Ohio, a St. Louis style thin crust pizza) and the worst pizza (little ceasar's).

Same with chocolate. If you only like gourmet chocolate, you're not a chocolate lover.

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love pillsbury brownies.
    I love Twix.
    I love Betty Crocker chocolate cake (box mix) with Betty Crocker chocolate icing.
    I love all the chocolate.
    I am not discriminatory.

Do you mean St. Louis style pizza as in that stuff with the disgusting provel cheese?

Probably means extremely thin cracker like crust but cut in squares. Usually anyone outside of St Louis has no idea about provel cheese. I live in STL now but not born here, I can tolerate it on IMO's pizza but I prefer mozzarella.

Yeah, I can only have a few pieces of Imos before I'm over it, I also can only eat the corners where the edge is crispy, and always have to ask for light cheese b/c that provel is disgusting to me.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm completely with you. I'm so picky about my pizza now... there is DEFINITELY such a thing as disgusting pizza.

Agreed (except for the tiresome NYC is best pizza claim, of course, especially when people start insisting it's the water or going on about folding it over). ;-) I'm picky about my chocolate too, though, it's just some of the chocolate I like is pretty low brow. (I am with those who wouldn't waste calories on Hersheys, though. It's not that it tastes bad to me, just blah.)

I like quality. Quality ingredients and good technique should theoretically make good pizza anywhere. If I ever get to SW Ohio, I'll look up Cassano's, promise. :)

Sorry, just a tongue in cheek comment that didn't come across. I was meaning to agree with you (and disagree with Carlos, I guess) that there definitely is bad pizza. But I know a lot of people from the NYC area who like to go on (and on and on) about how the best pizza is found only in NY. "It's the water!"
  • Sara1791
    Options

Sorry, just a joke that didn't come across. I know a lot of people from the NYC area who like to go on (and on and on) about how the best pizza is found only in NY. "It's the water!"

I was meaning to agree with you (and disagree with Carlos, I guess) that there definitely is bad pizza.

Sensitive this week, I'm so sorry. Friends?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Same with chocolate. If you only like gourmet chocolate, you're not a chocolate lover.

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I love Betty Crocker chocolate cake (box mix) with Betty Crocker chocolate icing.
    I am not discriminatory.

I just had a Twix on Sunday and I was in heaven. I like them, but I don't really buy them, but my grandparents wanted some, so I purchased some for them and they shared it with me. So freaking good, lol.

But the only chocolate I absolutely refuse to eat is white "chocolate." It's not real chocolate, it shouldn't even have chocolate in the name. It's disgusting and it actually angers me. White chocolate is so offensive.

White chocolate is a) not chocolate and b) a scourge upon the earth.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Of course. ;-)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

I just had a Twix on Sunday and I was in heaven. I like them, but I don't really buy them, but my grandparents wanted some, so I purchased some for them and they shared it with me. So freaking good, lol.

But the only chocolate I absolutely refuse to eat is white "chocolate." It's not real chocolate, it shouldn't even have chocolate in the name. It's disgusting and it actually angers me. White chocolate is so offensive.

I agree with that sentiment. Its like if sugar came in brick form, complete with a weird mouth-coating aftertaste...doesn't taste like chocolate at all.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

I felt that way until I tried White Lindor Truffles. Love them, but definitely prefer dark chocolate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

I like white chocolate, but yeah... it's not chocolate.
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    DAMMIT...Now I keep running to the door to see if my Amazon order had gotten here yet. 3 bags of sugar free reese cups and 3 bags of sugar free hershey and hershey filled with caramel bars.

Ok I probably wouldn't waste any calories on those, personally. I'm assuming that you have to watch your sugars though... so tough luck. But at least you have pretty good reasons not to overdo it on those as it's a guaranteed trip to the bathroom otherwise.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want chocolate.. om nom lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This discussion is only reinforcing how unsophisticated my palate is. I like white chocolate, I like little caesar, I enjoy falafel sandwiches from street vendors just as much as I do the fancy expensive ones with layers of flavors. I like cheap corn chips too and even 50 cent coffee. It's just a different kind of experience, not necessarily better or worse. different. My parents must have had an easy time with me because with the exception of meat, I was one of the least picky kids willing to eat anything and got just as excited about cauliflower as I did about Nutella crepes.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    This discussion is only reinforcing how unsophisticated my palate is. I like white chocolate, I like little caesar, I enjoy falafel sandwiches from street vendors just as much as I do the fancy expensive ones with layers of flavors. I like cheap corn chips too and even 50 cent coffee. It's just a different kind of experience, not necessarily better or worse. different. My parents must have had an easy time with me because with the exception of meat, I was one of the least picky kids willing to eat anything and got just as excited about cauliflower as I did about Nutella crepes.

I think it's nice not to be fussy about your victuals. I think it would make gratitude easier. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually had some white chocolate yesterday (suckered in by Christmas marketing, damn you Galaxy!). I don't even know why I bought it, just a little bar but I do find it too sickly sweet. I can have like two or three Milkybar buttons and totally be done.

Same with Caramac, which is some sort of white chocolate caramel flavouring hybrid everyone loved as kids in the UK. Except me.

Really savoury food is my real downfall. 70s party buffet food is my absolute kryptonite. Sausage rolls? Cubes of bright orange cheddar, pineapple and pickled onion on a toothpick shoved in a tin foil covered potato? I am all in.