So this happened..

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I guess everyone has something they feel strongly about. I think some of you people feel about chocolate the way I feel about pizza. NYC real pizzeria, no chains, no deep dish, crispy crust, brick oven if possible but not a deal breaker, real cheese, not too sweet. There's an old joke about there not being any such thing as a bad pizza; I disagree.

To be brutally honest I'm not particularly into chocolate, I can take it or leave it

Cheese on the other hand ......

<slaver>
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Don't panic cos you ate poor quality, cheap chocolates ...there's 73 calories in 1 ... you just ate 1053 calories which you could have used on other foods

Log it, move on

Since when is Ferrero Rocher "poor quality, cheap chocolate"?

Since forever :)

Sorry ..personally I'm not partial...when I was growing up they were the cheapest boxed chocolates and are a little bit of a joke down to the appalling kitsch ambassador adverts that we still enjoy quoting badly

If you look at the ingredients, Quality chocolate you'd be looking for high cocoa solids content above 70% and no use of vegetable oil in place of cocoa butter because vegetable oil is cheaper.

Ingredients. MILK chocolate 30% (sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, skimmed MILK powder, concentrated BUTTER, emulsifier: lecithins (SOYA), vanillin), HAZELNUTS (28.5%), sugar, palm oil, WHEAT flour, whey powder (MILK), fat-reduced cocoa, emulsifier: lecithins (SOYA), raising agent (sodium bicarbonate), salt, vanillin

Who cares if they're some of the cheaper ones? They taste heavenly! Hazelnuts and chocolate? SOLD!

Personally I'm not a chocolate snob (or a food snob for that matter). My sister has a job that sends her traveling all over the world and she always brings me something special like handcrafted high quality chocolates, teas, all kinds of fancy foodstuff which I really enjoy. Does not change the fact that Ferrero Rocher tastes like a trip to the unicorn land to me, but then again I have a weakness for hazelnut chocolatey stuff, which is also why a full jar of Nutella will never make it to my shelf again. I'll stick with the single serve packs, thank you.

As I said personal preference, they taste like meh to me

And we are supposed to take chocolate advice from someone who's never had a proper taco?

I have so :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm sure the UK has lovely chocolate, but the commercial stuff I've had from the there had an awful texture and aftertaste. Seriously, Aero? No thanks.

Aero is Nestle, my least favourite of our commercially mad chocolate.

I agree. Nestlé is below Hershey's chocolate as far as quality, IMO.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Just going to leave this here...

Not doing commercial chocolate anymore since I found those... It also helped greatly reduce my chocolate intake since they're sooo frigging expensive. I never knew you could savor one single praliné for so long. I usually end up taking minuscule bites just to make the pleasure last longer. :heart:
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Isn't the thing with Hershey's that they treat the milk so it has a longer shelf life and that process makes it a bit sour/spoilt milk tasting. So for those of who eat non-soured milk chocolate Hershey's tastes justifiably dreadful?

Yep. They heat the milk which is why Hershey's tastes like chocolate-flavored cheese. But if you grow up with it you can't taste it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I find straight up Hersheys tastes like its burnt. Like the way melted chocolate tastes when you accidentally microwave it too long.

I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I keep these in my pantry, just for baking:

s-l225.jpg461-a-Lindt-semi-sweet-cho-253x220_0.jpg

2.5kg bags of Lindt Madagascar 70% coverture

I am actually a chocolate snob myself. I usually go with the high end stuff. The REAL Greatest packages cookie of all time. Just don't tell @Carlos_421
    gvax3gcd99lc.jpg

I mean it says it right there in the package. Chocolaty happinesses

I awesomed you for liking Hershey and now you post this???
    I'm disappointed.

I think I need these in my life though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Isn't the thing with Hershey's that they treat the milk so it has a longer shelf life and that process makes it a bit sour/spoilt milk tasting. So for those of who eat non-soured milk chocolate Hershey's tastes justifiably dreadful?

Yep. They heat the milk which is why Hershey's tastes like chocolate-flavored cheese. But if you grow up with it you can't taste it.

I've never tried Hershey's, but I grew up with chocolate flavored cheese, chocolate covered cheese, chocolate stuffed cheese... you name it. now I wonder if I should try it.

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I guess everyone has something they feel strongly about. I think some of you people feel about chocolate the way I feel about pizza. NYC real pizzeria, no chains, no deep dish, crispy crust, brick oven if possible but not a deal breaker, real cheese, not too sweet. There's an old joke about there not being any such thing as a bad pizza; I disagree.

I'm completely with you. I'm so picky about my pizza now... there is DEFINITELY such a thing as disgusting pizza.

Agreed (except for the tiresome NYC is best pizza claim, of course, especially when people start insisting it's the water or going on about folding it over). ;-) I'm picky about my chocolate too, though, it's just some of the chocolate I like is pretty low brow. (I am with those who wouldn't waste calories on Hersheys, though. It's not that it tastes bad to me, just blah.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

If you only like pizza a certain way, you don't really like pizza.
    A true pizza lover loves the best pizza (which is Cassano's in sw Ohio, a St. Louis style thin crust pizza) and the worst pizza (little ceasar's).

Same with chocolate. If you only like gourmet chocolate, you're not a chocolate lover.

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love pillsbury brownies.
    I love Twix.
    I love Betty Crocker chocolate cake (box mix) with Betty Crocker chocolate icing.
    I love all the chocolate.
    I am not discriminatory.

I don't know about Little Caesar but Pizza Hut is disgusting.

Twixt isn't chocolate though..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

A true pizza lover loves the best pizza (which is Cassano's in sw Ohio, a St. Louis style thin crust pizza) and the worst pizza (little ceasar's).

Same with chocolate. If you only like gourmet chocolate, you're not a chocolate lover.

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I love Betty Crocker chocolate cake (box mix) with Betty Crocker chocolate icing.
    I am not discriminatory.

You forgot Oreos. ;)

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

I don't know about Little Caesar but Pizza Hut is disgusting.

Twixt isn't chocolate though..

Yeah - I put Pizza Hut well below LC. Actually, there's a number of local places that are...not good...for pizza. Oh, I'll still eat it, if someone else buys it, but I won't buy it myself. Of course, there are a couple of really good local pizza places here.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

Do you mean St. Louis style pizza as in that stuff with the disgusting provel cheese?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I love Hershey kisses.
    I love m&ms.
    I love Twix.
    I am not discriminatory.

Do you mean St. Louis style pizza as in that stuff with the disgusting provel cheese?

Probably means extremely thin cracker like crust but cut in squares. Usually anyone outside of St Louis has no idea about provel cheese. I live in STL now but not born here, I can tolerate it on IMO's pizza but I prefer mozzarella.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I find straight up Hersheys tastes like its burnt. Like the way melted chocolate tastes when you accidentally microwave it too long.

I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I keep these in my pantry, just for baking:

s-l225.jpg461-a-Lindt-semi-sweet-cho-253x220_0.jpg

2.5kg bags of Lindt Madagascar 70% coverture

I am actually a chocolate snob myself. I usually go with the high end stuff. The REAL Greatest packages cookie of all time. Just don't tell @Carlos_421
    gvax3gcd99lc.jpg

I mean it says it right there in the package. Chocolaty happinesses

You. Giant. Tease.
    Don't do that to an Aussie in Canada that hasn't had these in years, and the only store that used to sell them (Loblaws) closed down.

The things I'd do for Tim Tams.. I love to use them as a straw for coffee (it's the only way!) I LOVED the hazelnut and caramel ones, but never found them here.

But oreos are love, too.

They sell them at Sobeys in my area
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I've never tried Hershey's, but I grew up with chocolate flavored cheese, chocolate covered cheese, chocolate stuffed cheese... you name it. now I wonder if I should try it.

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

I very much am not on board with this. I think. But I do love cheese. And I do love chocolate. Conflicted. Confused.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

I very much am not on board with this. I think. But I do love cheese. And I do love chocolate. Conflicted. Confused.

Think chocolate cheesecake. :)
  • improvement_not_perfection
    Options
    I JUST ATE LIKE 15 FERRERO ROCHES CHOCOLATES! Ik that one day of really bad eating wont affect ur whole weightloss journey just like one day of healthy eating wont make you lose weight but seriously will i get diabetes or something, this is literally more addictive than cocaine. Sorry if this post is stupid but i can't make myself be in control around food!

...yup your life is over...might as well eat another 15
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

lu82l8ijsw70.jpg

btv23rnio5qi.jpg

It's a childhood taste which is why I like it. I haven't had it in 20 years. For outsiders it may be an acquired taste.