So this happened..

Options

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that it was my southern boy husband who introduced me to Velveeta (and Rotel).
    He also introduced me to grits. Not runny grainy grits like what gets served in diners. Creamy, cooked-in-milk and a stick of butter grits.
    And eating pork ribs and greens and black eyed peas on New Year's Day.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am from the north east area of the US and grew up with meat and vegetables (German descent) for dinner. I can't see cheesy noodles as a main dish/dinner unless maybe when I was a poor college student. :) If it has some meat in it, then I feel a lot better about it - like lasagna as long as it has meat sauce. Or something with a lower pasta to cheese ratio. Stuffed shells comes to mind. Mmmm ricotta... There are a lot of regional and cultural differences here. I had many Italian neighbors and it seemed that they ate pasta as main dishes much more often than we did.

My family is midwestern, and we'd eat spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner sometimes, but it was spaghetti, mostly, no one called it pasta. Mmac & cheese was only the boxed stuff, and was for kids, as a special treat meal, I think, but for the most part every meal was meat-centric. Vegetables and some starch (often potatoes, yeah, or corn or bread or occasionally rice or noodles) on the side. Even now my parents seem to think that a dinner without meat isn't really dinner and is weird. (At least fish counts as meat for those purposes, for them.)

Pasta seems much more common throughout the US now.

I just used the generic term pasta because there are so many types of dishes and that word covers them all. I consider mac and cheese a pasta dish, just as I would spaghetti, fettucini alfredo, cavatelli and broccoli, and OMG BAKED ZITI I am so hungry!

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I have a tray of homemade baked ziti in the freezer. I can't take it out because I will eat it all.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    This thread has morphed into yarning about my two favourites.
    Chocolate and cheese.

<3

Yarning - so that's the word! Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that it was my southern boy husband who introduced me to Velveeta (and Rotel).
    He also introduced me to grits. Not runny grainy grits like what gets served in diners. Creamy, cooked-in-milk and a stick of butter grits.
    I am from the north east area of the US and grew up with meat and vegetables (German descent) for dinner. I can't see cheesy noodles as a main dish/dinner unless maybe when I was a poor college student. :) If it has some meat in it, then I feel a lot better about it - like lasagna as long as it has meat sauce. Or something with a lower pasta to cheese ratio. Stuffed shells comes to mind. Mmmm ricotta... There are a lot of regional and cultural differences here. I had many Italian neighbors and it seemed that they ate pasta as main dishes much more often than we did.

My family is midwestern, and we'd eat spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner sometimes, but it was spaghetti, mostly, no one called it pasta. Mmac & cheese was only the boxed stuff, and was for kids, as a special treat meal, I think, but for the most part every meal was meat-centric. Vegetables and some starch (often potatoes, yeah, or corn or bread or occasionally rice or noodles) on the side. Even now my parents seem to think that a dinner without meat isn't really dinner and is weird. (At least fish counts as meat for those purposes, for them.)

I just used the generic term pasta because there are so many types of dishes and that word covers them all. I consider mac and cheese a pasta dish, just as I would spaghetti, fettucini alfredo, cavatelli and broccoli, and OMG BAKED ZITI I am so hungry!

Oh, I always use "pasta" for that reason, and agree, but was just making the point that no one did when I was a kid (where I grew up anyway), because people only ate spaghetti or macaroni (and did not use macaroni as a generic). We did have some other non pasta kinds of noodles, sometimes. It's a funny change I notice.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, and I never had grits 'til I was in my mid 20s, when a Southern friend had a party and cheese grits were served. I was an immediate convert.
  • Sara1791
    Options

Oh, I always use "pasta" for that reason, and agree, but was just making the point that no one did when I was a kid (where I grew up anyway), because people only ate spaghetti or macaroni (and did not use macaroni as a generic). We did have some other non pasta kinds of noodles, sometimes. It's a funny change I notice.

When I was a kid my father and all his family, who are Sicilian immigrants, called all kinds of pasta "macaroni." I think he still does. Pretty sure it was because he figured Americans were too stupid to understand the difference. ;)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that after reading this thread I had to go out and try some Ferrero Rocher chocolates. I thought they were pretty good. And I grew up in the south and have never heard of putting eggs in mac and cheese.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

When I was a kid my father and all his family, who are Sicilian immigrants, called all kinds of pasta "macaroni." I think he still does. Pretty sure it was because he figured Americans were too stupid to understand the difference. ;)

Yup, that's why I mentioned "not as a generic" thing. I went to college with some Italian-Americans from the NY area, and they said the same thing. They also insisted on certain pronunciations for some things as the correct one (manigot! or something like that, for example), which are neither used among those of Italian ancestry here (Chicago), at least not from what I've seen, or something I ran into in Italy itself, so I've always figured that's also a Sicilian thing. ;-)
  • Sara1791
    Options

Yup, that's why I mentioned "not as a generic" thing. I went to college with some Italian-Americans from the NY area, and they said the same thing. They also insisted on certain pronunciations for some things as the correct one (manigot! or something like that, for example), which are neither used among those of Italian ancestry here (Chicago), at least not from what I've seen, or something I ran into in Italy itself, so I've always figured that's also a Sicilian thing. ;-)

Don't get me started on dialects! :) I love language and its evolutions. Too bad I only speak English.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

ManniGOT! And GavaDEEL!

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Took me the longest time to realise that when noodles was mentioned on American shows it could mean any type of pasta and not what we call noodles which would the thing used in Asian food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Took me the longest time to realise that when noodles was mentioned on American shows it could mean any type of pasta and not what we call noodles which would the thing used in Asian food.

Lol yeah for me noodles and pasta are two different things...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    I learned the difference between yankee and southern mac & cheese from one of my students - in the South, they add eggs to the mac & cheese so it is firm, and then cut it in square to serve it. In the northern states, we like to serve it creamy and sloppy with a spoon.

Lived in the south all my life. Eggs don't go in mac & cheese.

Yeah. I've eaten a lot of food all over the south and I've never ever heard of that.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    To be fair, it takes 1 minute to stir Kraft Mac and Cheese. And my kids will take that over homemade. Sigh.

I really like Amy's mac and cheese though.

I have to color my homemade mac n cheese orange to get the kids to eat it :neutral: I cook some bacon until almost crisp, add a bit of butter to the bacon grease, along with flour for the roux, then proceed with making a proper cheese sauce. Add in the bacon (crumbled up) and mix with the pasta. Oh, and I don't use elbow macaroni, I use cavatappi (it's like fancy macaroni). Top with a mixture of breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan and Asiago cheeses, bake til golden. Yummmmm....

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Interestingly, every nation has different standards regulating cocoa, cocoa fat, and sugar content of chocolates. That's why chocolate from Germany is quite distinct from, say, Belgian chocolate, and you can immediately taste the difference between English and Italian chocolate.

The American standards are unique, allowing for more diversity in chocolate products, which is largely a product of no company having had much influence as most of these regulations are actually industry-protective.

Personally I prefer the San Francisco chocolates, particularly Guittard, and Swiss chocolate (which has many similarities).

I'll pass on German and Italian chocolate any day.

Oh, and I like Hershey's . But it's not my favorite.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well I am surprised that so many southerners don't put eggs in the mac & cheese - relatives in Birmingham AL and Atlanta GA do, but the relatives in New Orleans don't. I googled southern Mac & cheese and almost all of the recipes called for 2 eggs. Sounds goofy to me, but I am from the north :D
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    To be fair, it takes 1 minute to stir Kraft Mac and Cheese. And my kids will take that over homemade. Sigh.

I really like Amy's mac and cheese though.

I have to color my homemade mac n cheese orange to get the kids to eat it :neutral: I cook some bacon until almost crisp, add a bit of butter to the bacon grease, along with flour for the roux, then proceed with making a proper cheese sauce. Add in the bacon (crumbled up) and mix with the pasta. Oh, and I don't use elbow macaroni, I use cavatappi (it's like fancy macaroni). Top with a mixture of breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan and Asiago cheeses, bake til golden. Yummmmm....

Make a thinnish butternut squash soup. Cook macaroni directly in it. Too with cheese. My kids love this and don't realize it's orange because of squash(I sometimes add spinach or brocolli if it's for the baby - it turns it khaki so the older kids won't touch it haha!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    In the UK macaroni cheese is very common as a main meal. We don't really serve it as a side dish.

Here, "pasta" has become the generic for Italian and other European pastas. We use "noodles" mainly for East Asian noodles and understand it to mean something long and thin - the idea of "lasagne noodles" is puzzling to us. Our lasagne comes in rectangular sheets the size of a small envelope.

According to the old cookbooks, "macaroni" used to be the generic term for pasta, both here and in the USA. I think that's how it's used in Italy, though I'm not sure of that. We now use it to mean small, smooth, tube shaped pasta only and will usually differentiate - if we cook, say, fusilli or penne as you would macaroni cheese, we call it "cheesy pasta".

In Scotland we use almost exclusively elbow macaroni, but I gather in England they tend to use straight macaroni. Nutters.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    In the UK macaroni cheese is very common as a main meal. We don't really serve it as a side dish.

Here, "pasta" has become the generic for Italian and other European pastas. We use "noodles" mainly for East Asian noodles and understand it to mean something long and thin - the idea of "lasagne noodles" is puzzling to us. Our lasagne comes in rectangular sheets the size of a small envelope.

According to the old cookbooks, "macaroni" used to be the generic term for pasta, both here and in the USA. I think that's how it's used in Italy, though I'm not sure of that. We now use it to mean small, smooth, tube shaped pasta only and will usually differentiate - if we cook, say, fusilli or penne as you would macaroni cheese, we call it "cheesy pasta".

In Scotland we use almost exclusively elbow macaroni, but I gather in England they tend to use straight macaroni. Nutters.

Gosh, I'd never stopped to think about the north/south divide and style of macaroni! But you're right, in the boxed macaronis the English one is straight and the Scottish one the crescent moon shape! I'm going to go looking for macaroni when i'm the supermarket today (I'm from Scotland but live in London now).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Interestingly, every nation has different standards regulating cocoa, cocoa fat, and sugar content of chocolates. That's why chocolate from Germany is quite distinct from, say, Belgian chocolate, and you can immediately taste the difference between English and Italian chocolate.

The American standards are unique, allowing for more diversity in chocolate products, which is largely a product of no company having had much influence as most of these regulations are actually industry-protective.

Personally I prefer the San Francisco chocolates, particularly Guittard, and Swiss chocolate (which has many similarities).

I'll pass on German and Italian chocolate any day.

Oh, and I like Hershey's . But it's not my favorite.

:disappointed: I like my German chocolate.