Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am for the flu vaccine, and I strongly believe in mandatory vaccinations. If you have a medical reason for not vaccinating, that's fine, and completely understandable. Any other reason isn't.

I'm also considered at-risk/immunocompromised; if I'm so much as near a person with the flu, I get sick. Having the shot regularly has meant that some years I don't get sick at all. Since getting sick means I get an irritating, persistent cough that can last weeks to months, and doesn't go away without some kind of steroids, not being sick is quite nice.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I said this upstream and I will repeat it again:

Anyone in this thread who is saying they had the flu who is willing to have it again...

NEVER HAD THE FLU.

If you were not praying for death, you did not have the flu. You had a bad cold. Full stop.dult

If you had ever had the flu, you would move heaven and earth to never, ever have it again and to ensure your children never had it.

It is awful.

I say this as a person with a very much above average pain/discomfort tolerance. I cite as reference the fact that I had a broken ankle that I soldiered through with just OTC pain meds and ice packs because I couldn't tolerate the prescription pain meds.

The real flu is not something people who have had it are blithe about.

^
    This - I've had the flu twice in my adult life. First time I was about 21, second about 45. I don't believe I had a vaccination either of those years. When you've had the flu, without a doubt, you know it's the flu. It is indeed horribly horrible. Now that I'm a senior citizen and in a risk population, I get the extra boost one, but I understand the efficacy of vaccinations dwindles with age. :( Anyway, I surely believe in herd protection!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Both. For them if you have a compromised immune system due to illness or age..or if working in a medical field. Against if you are perfectly healthy.

Healthy people.die of the flu as well you know.

@suzannesimmons3 why do you say that?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I suspect anyone who thinks people with flu are hypochondriacs who should suck it up,has probably never had real flu.
    I agree that there are some who have maybe a fluey cold who claim to have flu. Real flu,however,is pretty nasty even for healthy people.

Similarly, when I worked at the ER, many many many MANY people came in with the 'flu' and rarely was it actually the flu. Instead it was something else with flu like symptoms. So whenever I hear people say "I got the shot and then got the flu!" I just think, 'did your really? or did you get something with flu like symptoms?"
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    I suspect anyone who thinks people with flu are hypochondriacs who should suck it up,has probably never had real flu.
    I agree that there are some who have maybe a fluey cold who claim to have flu. Real flu,however,is pretty nasty even for healthy people.

Similarly, when I worked at the ER, many many many MANY people came in with the 'flu' and rarely was it actually the flu. Instead it was something else with flu like symptoms. So whenever I hear people say "I got the shot and then got the flu!" I just think, 'did your really? or did you get something with flu like symptoms?"

I think I had the flu once. I was very sick for a a week and felt a bit better so tried going back to normal life and the next day I was sick again for a few weeks. It took me several months to feel normal aha.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Both. For them if you have a compromised immune system due to illness or age..or if working in a medical field. Against if you are perfectly healthy.

They also infect less healthy/immunoconoromised people.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like most people are for them. I just have not bothered in the past few years. It seems like every year after flu season, they say the vaccine did not cover the correct strand of flu.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Sounds like most people are for them. I just have not bothered in the past few years. It seems like every year after flu season, they say the vaccine did not cover the correct strand of flu.

Not every year, but sometimes it doesn't. It is still always a matter of protection against something vs. nothing. So if, for example, only 15% of the viruses I come into contact with are covered by the vaccine; it is still worthwhile to me.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For. I may not work in the medical field but due to the nature of where I work, people frequently show up when they are deathly ill rather than get a warrant for failing to appear, sharing their germs with EVERYBODY. The lack of hygeine around here astounds me, so yeah, I'll take a shot and do my best to avoid surfaces and doorknobs, etc. outside of my office.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital, having the flu shot is a job requirement.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Because it's true. The flu doesn't just kill immunosuppressed people.

A small snapshot of the flu at work

The influenza or flu pandemic of 1918 to 1919, the deadliest in modern history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide–about one-third of the planet's population at the time–and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims.

The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza

Are.you telling me that 500 million people who got the flu and the estimated 20 TO 50 MILLION people who died many of them young healthy people including soldiers were all somehow immunosuppressed.without knowing it.

If you're interested in family research, the 1918 Spanish flu is something worth looking at. I have two great-grandmothers who died of this flu, and my husband has one. Both of mine were older people, but neither were elderly. The odds are very good that you also have at least one family member who died of this flu - millions of people did, around the globe. I wasn't aware of the ones in my family until looking at their death certificates for research.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Because it's true. The flu doesn't just kill immunosuppressed people.

A small snapshot of the flu at work

The influenza or flu pandemic of 1918 to 1919, the deadliest in modern history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide–about one-third of the planet's population at the time–and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims.

The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza

Are.you telling me that 500 million people who got the flu and the estimated 20 TO 50 MILLION people who died many of them young healthy people including soldiers were all somehow immunosuppressed.without knowing it.

If you're interested in family research, the 1918 Spanish flu is something worth looking at. I have two great-grandmothers who died of this flu, and my husband has one. Both of mine were older people, but neither were elderly. The odds are very good that you also have at least one family member who died of this flu - millions of people did, around the globe. I wasn't aware of the ones in my family until looking at their death certificates for research.

My great grandfather died from it. He was a very young man at the time. I think he was only 28.
This discussion has been closed.