Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    36k die from it - just in the US, but it's "not exactly lethal."

Interesting definition of "lethal" being used, here.
  • sydneypo
    sydneypo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    popelkams wrote: »
    Flu shots coddle your immune system. There are vaccinations that are indisputable (measles, hepatitis, meningitis, etc.) because contracting them is commonly fatal. Then there are band-aid vaccinations like the flu shot where roughly 36k die/year from the flu which is usually complemented by other complications. Not exactly lethal. When the strains of the flu are constantly changing, vaccination cannot really give you the security or protection from those strains. Cut the bull* that you're doing ME a favor by getting YOUR flu shot. If it makes you feel better to get one, great, get one for yourself. However, until its required by law, I'm going to continue taking my Vitamin C pouches, drinking my tea, and using my hand sanitizer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

36,000 just in the US. The WHO estimates that between 250,000 and 500,000 people die each year from the influenza virus or complications resulting from. But yeah, totes not lethal.

I can't really dispute numbers with you here because I Google'd a number as I'm sure you did. However, even in your worst case scenario of 500,000 ppl dying from flu out of the US population of 326,474,013. That's still less than 0.153% of deaths resulting from flu and we don't even know if flu was the sole cause of death. I'm not going to worry about a flu shot with numbers like that. Sorry.
  • sydneypo
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    36k die from it - just in the US, but it's "not exactly lethal."

Interesting definition of "lethal" being used, here.

You have to look at numbers with context, meaning compare it to the US population or other leading causes of death and flu deaths are like nothing. I consider "lethal" to be something I should actually be worried about dying from, like heart disease or cancer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Flu shots coddle your immune system. There are vaccinations that are indisputable (measles, hepatitis, meningitis, etc.) because contracting them is commonly fatal. Then there are band-aid vaccinations like the flu shot where roughly 36k die/year from the flu which is usually complemented by other complications. Not exactly lethal. When the strains of the flu are constantly changing, vaccination cannot really give you the security or protection from those strains. Cut the bull* that you're doing ME a favor by getting YOUR flu shot. If it makes you feel better to get one, great, get one for yourself. However, until its required by law, I'm going to continue taking my Vitamin C pouches, drinking my tea, and using my hand sanitizer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

36,000 just in the US. The WHO estimates that between 250,000 and 500,000 people die each year from the influenza virus or complications resulting from. But yeah, totes not lethal.

I can't really dispute numbers with you here because I Google'd a number as I'm sure you did. However, even in your worst case scenario of 500,000 ppl dying from flu out of the US population of 326,474,013. That's still less than 0.153% of deaths resulting from flu and we don't even know if flu was the sole cause of death. I'm not going to worry about a flu shot with numbers like that. Sorry.

Why would the number matter? The flu shot only protects one person at a time. Either you are the one or you are not.
  • sydneypo
    Options

I just don't understand your definition of 'not lethal' when half a million people every year die. It's not an insignificant number and it would be higher number if people didn't get the flu vaccine.

True, technically it is "lethal" if you die from the flu. I guess I meant the probability of it being lethal is so small that it doesn't justify the risk of taking the flu vaccination. Something like the measles vaccination completely eradicated death from measles except for in rare cases where people didn't take the vaccine. So if the flu vaccines are effective, why aren't the people who missed the vaccinations the only ones getting sick from the flu? And if you've had the vaccination, you shouldn't be getting the flu?
    Because the vaccination isn't effective for a virus that is constantly changing...

I understand I'm fighting an uphill battle here as a vast majority are probably in favor of flu shots...but I haven't had the flu or a vaccination in years and the risk is really only to myself. If I'm feeling healthy but carrying the flu virus, you should be immune to me from your vaccination.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @suzannesimmons3 what medical evidence do you have that "Healthy" people even get the flu much less die from it?

Well I am not Suzanne - but plenty of medical evidence showing healthy people get the flu.

Believe me, I do notifications for them as part of my job and I get fed up with them by end of winter.

As i said earlier in thread, the majority of flu notifications I do are for young healthy people - precisely because they are the demographic least likely to have had the vaccine.

Please post your medical evidence showing that healthy people get the flu.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.