Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread pretty much from the start. (I wish I could unfollow it) Why,with all the many responses setting out the pros and cons, are there still people posting saying "I've never had one" or "I never get the flu therefore I don't get the jab"?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    I don't get them anymore. The few years that I did, I had never been sicker. I rarely get sick and I I do come down with something my body thankfully fights it well. But those few years with shots were literally horrible. Maybe it was coincidence but it was such a drastic difference that I think not.

Are you claiming that getting vaccinated increased your chance of getting the flu? That is a pretty incredible claim to make. How exactly does that work?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Since this seems as good a place as any to ask...

A while ago, my husband and I read an article somewhere that I can't recall exactly or locate that suggested that, in order for your body to continue to produce strong antibodies, it might be a good idea to skip the flu shot every few years (I believe years where it is least effective were suggested for obvious reasons?)

I'm not much of a science brain and, while it seemed reasonable to me - my recollection is that in studies, a diminished ability to produce antibodies was noted in subjects who consistently received the vaccine vs. those who skipped certain rounds - I think it goes against conventional wisdom that getting the shot every year provides a kind of cumulative protection. "I read an article a while ago that I kind of remember" also isn't really compelling evidence on which to make health-related decisions, so it would be great if someone else knows to what I'm referring and can comment.

I get my flu shot every year in the interests of public health, but obviously if there is a benefit to skipping a year once in a while, I would consider doing so.

I do not know the article you are referring to - but i do know I've worked in medical centre for 8 years and in various other health roles prior to that and a large part of my job is giving flu vaccines - have never heard this recomendation nor is anything of the sort in the Australian Immunisation Guidelines - - the comprehensive reference 'bible' for any vaccine information here.

I also see an obvious flaw in this plan because doing so " in the years where it is least effective were suggested for obvious reasons" - the whole idea of flu vaccine is to get it before the flu season - how will you know in advace which years it is going to be least effective in????

I can address that last part - in my country, predictions are usually provided from a public health agency ahead of the flu season/vaccine availability, as in "This year we estimate that the vaccine will be 45% effective based on predicted strain frequency" or whatever. Some years it's lower, some years higher. Of course, it's just a forecast, but that's where that comes from.

Like I said, I typically get it each year regardless, but since I remember reading that I was just curious if anyone had more info on it or remembered the study.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    my motto is A little jab a do ya!!
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I got my very first flu shot this year and I am 38 years old.. I can only recall getting the flu twice in my life in 38 years as well.. I am just one of the lucky ones (knock on wood)
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    KylaBlaze wrote: »
    I work in healthcare, haven’t gotten them unless forced at my old facility (it was either get the shot or wear a mask 8 hours a day for three months). Otherwise I have never gotten them, nor will again!

Where do you work? So I know to never step foot in your facility.

Um same. I work in a theatre, i wear a mask 8 hrs a day and we STILL get the flu vac. This is irresponsible and uneducated for a healthcare worker and NEVER in my years of being a nurse, have i heard ANYTHING remotely similar.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    I work in healthcare, haven’t gotten them unless forced at my old facility (it was either get the shot or wear a mask 8 hours a day for three months). Otherwise I have never gotten them, nor will again!

Um same. I work in a theatre, i wear a mask 8 hrs a day and we STILL get the flu vac. This is irresponsible and uneducated for a healthcare worker and NEVER in my years of being a nurse, have i heard ANYTHING remotely similar.

By "a theater" you mean a surgical suite/operating room? (For those in America, where "theater" is where we watch movies.)

Never mind me, I'm just passing through.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

By "a theater" you mean a surgical suite/operating room? (For those in America, where "theater" is where we watch movies.)

Actually, that was my first reaction too :)
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm for them...I don't want the flu
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Yeah, surgical suite/operating room
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You have the option to decline and I’ll decline. Just my opinion. Take or leave it.
This discussion has been closed.