Family's Blatant Lack of Understanding of Basic Nutrition

When I started, they kind of didn't take my needs into consideration with meal planning if they were going to have me for dinner. Now they kind of do, but it's almost worse than it was before. They've added veggies to the menu, but they cook them ALL in butter and tons of salt. Totally kills the low calorie aspect and *kitten* the nutrition. I may as well eat pizza but stop after one piece.
They are so proud of themselves too...
"Is this healthy?"
"Uh..no, not exactly.."
"But why? We have three kinds of veggies."

Yeah, you did. But you've smothered them in other unhealthy *kitten*...veggies are delicious why do you feel the need to kill them with grease?

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Fat is good though!

Everything is good. Just not if it puts you over your fat macro or calories for the day and I'm guessing that's why she's complaining.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have medical reasons for limiting your sodium? Do you have medical reasons for limiting your fat intake? Are you trying to eat "perfectly nutritious" meals 100% of the time?

If you are trying to lose weight you can do that while eating veggies with salt & butter. You can lose weight while eating (gasp!) pizza. You can eat regular foods because weight loss is about calories. Many people here eat regular foods, they just watch their portions.

Dietary fat is not horrible from a nutritional stand point. Low fat dieting is a very old-fashioned idea that refuses to die. Plenty of people eat high fat and lose weight. Of course, there are medical exceptions for fat, as there are with sodium intake.

Lifestyle changes - learn to take the good with the not quite as good. You will have years of maintenance ahead of you. Certainly you don't expect to eat "perfectly nutritious" meals forever.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Fat is good though!

Everything is good. Just not if it puts you over your fat macro or calories for the day and I'm guessing that's why she's complaining.

What? You can't read my mind? LOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Good advice above.

Also, how often do you eat with them? I'd say plan for the extra calories and go with the flow. My MIL used to try to make me a separate side dish to accommodate me being lactose intolerant (her go to side was au gratin potatoes.) I can't tell you how many times she forgot what she was doing and added cheese to a veggie side because she loved to put cheese in things. (And no, this wasn't her being passive aggressive.) Anyway, I just learned to always pop a Lactaid before eating anything that she made. No big deal. Like I said, just plan ahead with the assumption that you'll be eating more butter than expected.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't like butter on my vegetables. My husband does. Our skinny kids benefit from it. So, we cook vegetables, plop some on my plate, add butter to the rest of them and serve everyone else. Problem solved.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    In all situations if you want catering (heh) to specially, there has to be some forward movement on your own part to counter the effort you're asking of someone else.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    How often do you eat with them? Every day? Once in a while?

If it's every day, you may want to make your own meals.

If it's once in a while, big deal. Just eat what they fix. One meal out of the rest of your life will not derail you.

• Veggie63
    Veggie63 Posts: 7 Member
    If you have a tasty way you like your vegetables that fits into your eating plan, why not offer to bring that to your family dinners to share with them? If recipes from Cooking Light fit into your meal plans, many of them actually have butter or small amounts of crumbled bacon for flavor. Or roasting them in olive oil or grilled?
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Wow, my bad. Apparently I'm an ungrateful *kitten* for expressing a frustration I'm sure many of you could relate to at some point. I'm so glad you strangers on the internet know me well enough from one post to set me straight.