Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Provide Your Sources

Options
12346»

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Every time there is a debate and sources are brought out, readers are getting a free 300-level mini-course in "Critical Thinking and Persuasion in the Sciences and Social Sciences", which personally I think is pretty damn awesome. Reading and debating, or just listening to the debate, even if it's just on teh googlez and MFP, is one of the most powerful ways to learn. Look at the interesting, knowledgeable discussion contained in this thread alone.

Of course, if one is being overly obnoxious, on either side of the debate, it's not effective persuasion because poor character (ethos) is being shown. It is DEFINITELY not just the analytical among us who are guilty of being obnoxious (but it seems that the analytical are, indeed, guilty of being the most persuasive).

I don't disagree with this at all, but I do think that a lot of threads outside the debate forum get derailed by the battle of the sources, which tends to wander off into realms that have nothing to do with the original question. I envision the OP slowly backing away, possibly waiving a wooden cross.

I'm sure most posters just expect a simple and concise reply to their questions. Being blinded by scientific studies and 5 page articles explaining the intricacies of human physiology and how this chemical reacts with that chemical is probably a little more than they bargained for or even wanted/needed. :lol:

Did someone say blinded by science?

e78rxj9qshv2.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Every time there is a debate and sources are brought out, readers are getting a free 300-level mini-course in "Critical Thinking and Persuasion in the Sciences and Social Sciences", which personally I think is pretty damn awesome. Reading and debating, or just listening to the debate, even if it's just on teh googlez and MFP, is one of the most powerful ways to learn. Look at the interesting, knowledgeable discussion contained in this thread alone.

Of course, if one is being overly obnoxious, on either side of the debate, it's not effective persuasion because poor character (ethos) is being shown. It is DEFINITELY not just the analytical among us who are guilty of being obnoxious (but it seems that the analytical are, indeed, guilty of being the most persuasive).

I don't disagree with this at all, but I do think that a lot of threads outside the debate forum get derailed by the battle of the sources, which tends to wander off into realms that have nothing to do with the original question. I envision the OP slowly backing away, possibly waiving a wooden cross.

I'm sure most posters just expect a simple and concise reply to their questions. Being blinded by scientific studies and 5 page articles explaining the intricacies of human physiology and how this chemical reacts with that chemical is probably a little more than they bargained for or even wanted/needed. :lol:

On the other hand, when I started out that's exactly what I wanted/needed. I don't really know that it's valid to claim that most people want x. I've feel pretty much the exact opposite of everything you've said you feel in this thread. Doesn't make either of us wrong, just different. The beauty of a message board is that when someone asks a question they will get both the simple answer and the complex one. And lots of times you'll get 6 "simple" answers that all contradict each other, which is why I want that 5 page long article with sources.

Fair enough :smile: Some people enjoy them, others not so much. There are two sides to the coin, I was mainly replying to the title of this thread.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dammit, now I have to live with knowing that typo is there and not being able to fix it. :D
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think I just want people to be more curious for themselves. Some results for "I read somewhere:"

- a potato at night time is good
    - it's bad for you to cook with [olive oil]
    - that popcorn has fibre
    - that you should not call them cheat meals
    - that it's best to eat fruits in the morning and afternoon
    - that long running sessions are really bad for you
    - that sugar calories from fruit do not count
    - that we eat about a pound of bugs a year
    - that if you have a high body fat % it's pointless to do an exercises until you loose some weight

I'd say
    - Potatoes are good
    - Somewhat true; PUFAs tend to move to transfats under heat. EVOO isn't the best for cooking
    - Popcorn is about 10% fiber by weight [USDA]
    - Silly
    - Fruits are good
    - studies show LISS *may* detrimental to CV health compared to HIIT
    - Silly
    - Wouldn't surprise me at all. That's only 1.25g a day
    - Stupid and counterproductive; I'd advise against running because of the joint damage potential

I could source a fair chunk of these, but why bother?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    There's also the significance of risk or danger to consider. In a critical thinking class I took, we played around with something like this: A well-conducted peer-reviewed study may conclude that taking "X" medication will double your risk of blood clots, and that's what you'll see in all the popular click-bait articles. Is it true? Sure. What does it mean? Well, a healthy person may have a .002%* risk of blood clots at any given time. Taking this medication will increase that risk to .004%. Should that scare you into not taking the med? You be the judge, but don't make the decision without understanding the context of the risk. A lot of times people throwing studies around (even from legitimate sources) don't really understand how the conclusion would relate to real-life consequences.

*all numbers are made-up bs
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP and started reading the forums. Thanks to the great long-time members here, it didn't take long for me to sort out the fact from the fiction. Why? Because the people doing so took the time to explain it and - most importantly for me - backed up what they were saying with science. The more I read, the more I started to understand. The more I understood the easier my weight loss became.

So count me as one of those who is grateful for when opinions are backed with facts. In an industry completely overrun with bogus claims, diets, pills, cleanses, wraps, shakes, etc., knowledge was the key to help me filter out the truth from the bunk.

Just like in most other areas of life. :)

Add me to that. I would not be here (and have not been here long) if I didn't see crap posts jumped on immediately. I know some go away mad, but if what they posted is BS and they don't want to recognize it, then it is their loss, not mine.

Weight loss looks to be, by far the worst subject for BS. Even worse than audiophiles (who spend enormous amounts of money on the stupidest things). So I'm glad there is a low level of tolerance for it here.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Nice idea, however - it works on the assumption that people (posters and readers) can distinguish a reliable data source and/or interpret scientific findings in the context of both the study limitations, variables etc and the application to which they are attempting to tie it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ryry_ wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ryry_ wrote: »
    I'm just here to feel superior to my peers.

But do your peers review studies? Because apparently that's really important in these parts. Gotta hang with the right crowd.

If by review, you mean 'uses google to find the first result with a title that confirms their beliefs', then yes

You're my neighbor, aren't you?

Even though this is the "Debate" forum, honestly I think we take all this w a a a a a y too seriously.

ry and anvil, you'll remember HWSNBN and the insane thousands of pages we spent arguing with him over stuff. There were a couple people who made it their life mission to argue with him and that was just as nutty IMO. I mean he was so "out there" that no one (and by no one, I mean I didn't) really believed him after the 1,000th thread and yet it took up day after day, thread after thread.

No. I'm not over it. :lol: FWP

Oh Lawd....STAHP! You might conjure him up again by mentioning it!

I'm a little worried since helloitsDan is back. Typing IPOARM may have been the nail in that coffin. I'm sure HWSNBN has his yahoosearch set to alert him. :(

Just a quick note that I have no affiliation with HWSNBN! We had a falling out when he tried to claim who wrote the last iteration of IPOARM. In fact he caused me some good friendships on this forum. I have no sources for that fact though. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    IPoarm.. Hwsnbn.. ??? What are you guys talking about ?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    IPoarm.. Hwsnbn.. ??? What are you guys talking about ?

In Place Of A Roadmap.
    And
    He who shall not be named....kinda like Voldamort only more volatile.