Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• geneticexpectations
    geneticexpectations Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

1. What I was saying is that law or no law, results trump all. Of course I had to take physics and biochem etc as well, and I appreciate the principles. But when application of these "black box" principles fails most patients, you don't be stubborn as a professional and keep insisting that method. I do what works and do what is sustainable. And yes, sometimes, that is pure CICO if that's the only way the results happen. But often times, no it's not. But overall if what works differs from equations that people in labcoats are pouring over in some dark corner of an academic facility, oh well.

Let me know if I'm misreading this, but CICO is in fact the only way results happen, it's just that whether or not tracking those calories and thinking about those calories is a separate question.

Increasing food quality to improve satiety, perhaps see how different distribution of macronutrients may effect calories in AND calories out (what you eat can impact involuntary activity levels/NEAT), and of course there are MASSIVE differences to adherence as well as individual differences to how resistant someone is to weight gain and weight loss (again very likely due to changes in NEAT as a response to diet).

But this is still CICO, it just may not be what a client focuses on to achieve it.

Your post seems to imply that CICO doesn't work for people but perhaps I'm misreading that.

You are misreading that I think. I'm not disputing the energetics, nor am I disputing what goes on at the cellular level. I'm just saying, some things work, and others don't work as well or don't work at all. I get paid to do what works. I don't want to starve.
  • geneticexpectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????

Who do people which care about the environment and people in developing countries who need access to cheap sources of food which do not perish easily like better?

You

or

Me.

I'll give you a clue.

It's not you.

There are many sides to the story with respect to the environment and having a pattern of raising animals naturally. Many people assume it's a net loss to the environment, but many can argue that industrialization is a net loss.

You're right, people in developing countries need access to cheap food which does not perish easily. Hell, they just need access to food. I do wonder why developED countries want dietary habits of developING countries.

You must have got your clue from a fortune cookie :) Unless you can provide medical care, they would probably like me better :)

Sorry, snarky makes me snarky.
  • geneticexpectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    It's odd as I have never noticed number 2 a single time in these boards...

Maybe I worded it badly. Let me try again. I seem to notice on these boards that many (not all, but many) who claim "it's all about CICO" seem to use this as justification to be able to include any food that can be purchased at a store within their diets.

I don't understand what's wrong with this. You can certainly get in your macros and micros eating any food that can be purchased at a store, it's not necessary to eat "clean", or remove "junk food" (whatever those words even mean) in order to lose weight and stay healthy. This argument continues to baffle me - it's as though people are saying if you eat "processed" food (again whatever that means) all the nutrients are sucked out of it.

Sounds more like someone needs justification on why not to eat it rather than the folks who apparently understand there is nothing wrong with any foods and have no reason to justify eating it, no?

ooooo zing!

Then..... why are you here?

Perhaps @Hornsby is here to monitor his cut or bulk cycles? Because I somehow don't think he just woke up one morning with a physique as incredible as his is. <3

Not what I was getting at. He was simply flipping the script (which is an emotional response as I outlined in point 3... any emotional behaviour is one in which you probably wouldn't do with a colleague), so I was playing flip the script to point that out.

Then let me flip your question around on you:

Since it appears you don't buy into the CICO premise, why are *you* here on a website that, by design, is based around CICO and calorie counting?

I have benefitted tremendously from being here. One of the biggest obstacles to patient care is... patients. (with respect to weight loss AND health... not just weight loss). Well, more specifically, their outlook and attitudes.

As soon as we're able to educate them and get them on the right track, they get success. But to do that we have to break down their attitude and psychological barriers.

The toughest type of personality we have found in the clinic seem to have the "it's all about the CICO" view point as well. As soon as we can break down the personality that comes with that barrier, we get somewhere, but sometimes we can't get through that barrier.

So on this forum I actually get a high concentration of difficult people to deal with... and get lots of insight into how their minds work. This is actually better than real world training. My success rate in the real world has definitely gone up with my experience here.

Now, certainly not everyone here is a jerk, but wow, on the whole, this is like a training bootcamp!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Maybe I worded it badly. Let me try again. I seem to notice on these boards that many (not all, but many) who claim "it's all about CICO" seem to use this as justification to be able to include any food that can be purchased at a store within their diets.

I don't understand what's wrong with this. You can certainly get in your macros and micros eating any food that can be purchased at a store, it's not necessary to eat "clean", or remove "junk food" (whatever those words even mean) in order to lose weight and stay healthy. This argument continues to baffle me - it's as though people are saying if you eat "processed" food (again whatever that means) all the nutrients are sucked out of it.

Sounds more like someone needs justification on why not to eat it rather than the folks who apparently understand there is nothing wrong with any foods and have no reason to justify eating it, no?

ooooo zing!

Perhaps @Hornsby is here to monitor his cut or bulk cycles? Because I somehow don't think he just woke up one morning with a physique as incredible as his is. <3

Not what I was getting at. He was simply flipping the script (which is an emotional response as I outlined in point 3... any emotional behaviour is one in which you probably wouldn't do with a colleague), so I was playing flip the script to point that out.

Since it appears you don't buy into the CICO premise, why are *you* here on a website that, by design, is based around CICO and calorie counting?

I have benefitted tremendously from being here. One of the biggest obstacles to patient care is... patients. (with respect to weight loss AND health... not just weight loss). Well, more specifically, their outlook and attitudes.

As soon as I'm able to educate them and get them on the right track, they get success. But to do that I have to break down their attitude and psychological barriers.

The toughest type of personality we have found in the clinic seem to have the "it's all about the CICO" view point as well. As soon as we can break down the personality that comes with that barrier, we get somewhere, but sometimes we can't get through that barrier.

So on this forum I actually get a high concentration of difficult people to deal with... and get lots of insight into how their minds work. This is actually better than real world training. My success rate in the real world has definitely gone up with my experience here.

Now, certainly not everyone here is a jerk, but wow, on the whole, this is like a training bootcamp!

If you don't mind my asking, what is it you do, exactly? Do you work at some sort of weight loss clinic? If not CICO, how do you advise people to lose weight? Do you push certain diet approaches and/or pre-prepared food? Meal plans or products/supplements?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    But overall if what works differs from equations that people in labcoats are pouring over in some dark corner of an academic facility, oh well.

This is a weird way to characterize CICO and is either a misunderstanding or a strawman.

I don't think it will help, because these things have been explained before, but:

(1) CICO is not a particular diet. One can lose weight through CICO and also be somewhat neurotic about healthy eating. I have such tendency at times, although I am working on them since I think they are bad for me.

(2) CICO does not mean you have to know the specific CO and CI numbers that are applicable or the specific amount of calories to the decimal point that you get from a particular food. No question no one is exact and the numbers are all off/estimates and that people vary in how many calories they absorb from specific foods (but no one eats a 100 calorie chocolate and actually absorbs 300 calories as some would have it).

Ignoring the rest, since stuff about how "people" act is always one-sided at best and never a useful argument to have. There's nothing to discuss rather than impressions formed by whoever you talk to and what you notice -- rather like an argument over whether Republicans or Dems are meaner to the other side. It's a distraction from a discussion of the real disagreement, whatever it is.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a newer member here, I have gotten some great information from these forums.

That being said, the CICO posts overall could be taken as "it's ok for me to eat anything." I didn't understand what macro and micro nutrients were, so it's easy to ignore that part when skimming through.

I could see how someone like myself, who never had changed eating habits before would think that I can continue as usual, just stay within the calorie limit. I do understand that I would lose weight, but I would be so hungry. Someone new to this, may experience the same thing and give up quickly.
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????

Who do people which care about the environment and people in developing countries who need access to cheap sources of food which do not perish easily like better?

You

or

Me.

I'll give you a clue.

It's not you.

There are many sides to the story with respect to the environment and having a pattern of raiding animals naturally. Many people assume it's a net loss to the environment, but many can argue that industrialization is a net loss.

You're right, people in developing countries need access to cheap food which does not perish easily. Hell, they just need access to food. I do wonder why developED countries want dietary habits of developING countries.

You must have got your clue from a fortune cookie :) Unless you can provide medical care, they would probably like me better :)

Sorry, snarky makes me snarky.

No need to apologise for being snarky man. I wouldn't give it out if I couldn't take it back.

So, this medical care you provide. Is it through a private company and / or is there any element of a profit motive? If so should I dismiss the advice you give because it raises the possibility of a conflict of interest?

And you leave my fortune cookie out of this.

You are clearly not a jerk. I actually do apologize now. Our health care is mostly public where I'm from. Private clinics are limited and I don't have one.

You should always dismiss the advice anyone on an internet forum gives you :) , but if you do find that you are questioning something or are curious, always best to research in that direction and maybe even give it a whirl firsthand if you want.
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

ooooo zing!

As soon as I'm able to educate them and get them on the right track, they get success. But to do that I have to break down their attitude and psychological barriers.

If you don't mind my asking, what is it you do, exactly? Do you work at some sort of weight loss clinic? If not CICO, how do you advise people to lose weight? Do you push certain diet approaches and/or pre-prepared food? Meal plans or products/supplements?

I mostly interpret scans for all kinds of things, but do see patients face to face too. But more importantly, within the public health care system we function as a team of physicians intent on applying evidence based medicine in combination with things that just plain work in general patient care. We are certainly not a dedicated weigh loss center at all, just a network of hospitals. I happen to have an interest in preventative medicine also. But this isn't unique to us, this is happening everywhere. At the health prevention level, the effects of diet are starting to be exposed and the gig is up on conventional outdated nutrition advice, and physicians are getting on board.

Not a clinic, we are mostly hospital based. I posted a few pages back on the gist of the different methods our health care team tries, but the most important thing is to focus on how an individual responds to different methods in every practice.

While many of us are advocates of whole foods and even ancestral health, none of us try to push, just to educate. We just suggest what seems to work, and sometimes, the patient has tried everything conventional and is more open minded at that point to things that seem contrary to what they have been told for the last 50 years.

No supplements or meal plans or products or pre-prepared anything. Although you've just given me an idea... kidding.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    3 points:

1. Some people state that CICO is a law of physics. Technically, the first law of thermodynamics is a law of physics, and a calorie is simply a unit of measurement of raising 1 g of water through 1 degree C IN A BOMB CALORIMETER. We as humans are each a complex biological system, not a bomb calorimeter. While being aware of a general sense of how much one eats is probably a good thing common sense wise, being dogmatic about a bomb calorimeter law for human fat loss is ignoring the complexity of a biological system. We should be looking for laws of BIOLOGY, not laws of physics to guide us.

2. Just a general pattern I have noticed.. again, not a hard and fast rule but a general pattern. Those who shout "it's all about CICO" really seem to like their junk food (although many do include whole foods), and really seem to want to keep junk food in the mix. To my eye, I do wonder if CICO is a fantastic marketing scheme for big food to give people "permission" to keep that junk food hanging around (one would naturally be all inclusive if instructed that quantity trumps quality).

3. I also notice that the "it's all about CICO" folk do tend to exhibit disproportionately negative emotional responses at the mention of "clean eating" or "whole food diets" or the word "paleo". Or at the very least, there will be a lot of sarcasm/hostility/derision in the tone of responses. I don't know why this is. If one is confident in their method, they usually react peacefully to alternative suggestions. I do understand that food is an emotional topic, but I don't see the converse scenario nearly as much (a "clean eater" getting hostile at the suggestion of CICO/everything in moderation). But that could just be my observation.

Now, there certainly are exceptions to my point number 2, as several forum members do say that they like to watch what they eat in addition to how much, but like I said I just noticed this general trend....

1. Both CICO and the first law of thermo are applications of the law of conservation of energy. The complexity of the system has no influence on the underlying laws of physics. Everything that exists in the universe obeys these laws, including all organic matter. Please feel free to rebut by providing an example of a biological system that does not obey the laws of physics (this is a rhetorical request, please do not put a lot of effort into searching for such an example). As a trained and experienced scientist, yes, I am dogmatic about the laws of physics. Note that the laws of physics do not make any statements about your health. Developing a better understanding of biochemistry and nutrition is great, but you will not find any magic loopholes hiding in there that invalidate fundamental physics.

2. I disagree with your conclusion. I observe that the most vocal proponents of CICO are often the most educated and accomplished in their fitness and nutrition goals. They are the most likely to recommend the same advice you would get from a registered dietitian. If you are going to state that CICO is a marketing conspiracy, at least provide some evidence.

3. It is very difficult to assess emotion through text. What is my emotional state right now? There is always a lot of sarcasm/hostility/derision in all Internet forums, whatever the topic is. That is just humans being human. It is not a coincidence that you perceive favorable traits in those who agree with your opinions.
    Ok. I'll reword the question.

WHO DO CEO's of BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER TO MAKE THEIR BUSINESS PLAN WORK???

People who think some foods are healthy and other foods are not?

or

People who think food is food

?????

Not sure where you live, but in my country the marketing of large food companies has always directly addressed current public opinion, whether that be low-fat, gluten-free, no added sugar, or whatever the trend du jour happens to be. Yesterday I saw a Panera ad that stated that their food is 100% clean, whatever that is supposed to mean. Fast food chains have been increasingly adopting "healthy" marketing bulletpoints for many years now.

1. What I was saying is that law or no law, results trump all. Of course I had to take physics and biochem etc as well, and I appreciate the principles. But when application of these "black box" principles fails most patients, you don't be stubborn as a professional and keep insisting that method. I do what works and do what is sustainable. And yes, sometimes, that is pure CICO if that's the only way the results happen. But often times, no it's not. But overall if what works differs from equations that people in labcoats are pouring over in some dark corner of an academic facility, oh well.

2. I didn't state CICO was a conspiracy. In my exact words, which you quoted, I started the sentence off with "To my eye". And in my practice, advice from registered dieticians is mostly what screws up the health and nutrition of patients and sends them to our office in the first place, because those dieticians just promote the popular "guidelines", which are atrociously bad. Being on par with registered dieticians in our jurisdiction is not an endorsement. It is an indictment.

3. To clarify: Firstly, the emotional responses I was describing are not just limited to the internet. Secondly, with respect to those who share my opinions, I do not observe how they are towards me, but towards those whose opinions differ from them.

You keep going back to the "in my practice" argument and extrapolating that to the general population. This is an invalid argument. The sample is infinitesimal compared to the general population (or the sub-population of people who have specific issues you would address) and skewed toward those who already have medical issues with no healthy control group.