Drink only water!! All other drinks are evil!!

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly water. I do have 2 servings of diet Mt. Dew a day now that I know all diet soda pop doesn't taste like liquid baby poop. ;) Also because I've been getting good sales when I go shopping for it.
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was at an NHS training session on encouraging physical exercise last week and the old drink water only thing came up. Apparently, your body's cells recognise water as water and will re-hydrate on it whereas coffee, tea, beer etc doesn't count and will contribute to water retention.
    - I know, I know - who knew eh?!
    - and that's the NHS (National Health Service, UK)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, water, black tea and then alcohol on the weekends. That about covers it for me.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Water, cofee, tea. The occasional drink (as in maybe one a month), but even them I mix the rum with something other than soda.

anything carbonated messes up my stomach. Even having one, I bloat to a "5 month pregnant" stage and get "gassy" same thing happens with beer.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. One of my meds gives me chronic dry mouth and I'm always thirsty. I also drink tea, Crio Bru, and diet soda.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I too am always perplexed by these threads you refer to when people say, "just drink water" and "why would anything drink anything other than water". I often wonder if these people make similarly narrow and restrictive food choices in the spirit of "why would you eat anything other than chicken and broccoli"... people tend to view these things in such extremes, but when you dig a little deeper it turns out they make many of the choices the rest of us make... just with the added bonus of sanctimonious judgement passed on anyone who vocalizes that they drink soda, eat fast food, etc...

To the original question... I drink water throughout the day but I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, a Diet Coke at lunch, and a glass or two of wine in the evening after kids go to bed. I rarely drink OJ anymore but I do enjoy it with a big breakfast on the weekends. Especially if it is in the form of a mimosa!

This. I think it's all in the attitude. I drink a hell of a lot of water, but don't give it any thought. I think that people making a drastic change from giving up soda and feeling virtuous about it are so focused on what they're doing might be the ones going on about it so much.

I made such a gradual transition over a long time to becoming a water drinker that I couldn't even tell you how it happened. I know I didn't start out as one. It was a habit I vaguely remember working on, though. I remember at one time drinking a lot of flavored seltzer, about 20-25 years ago or so as a transition phase.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know, It has never been a water vs other drinks for me. Thirsty = water, feel like drinking [whatever] = [whatever]. The two things don't fall into the same category. That's like eating candy corn because you are "hungry".
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I drink only water, tea, and the occasional sports drink after a hard workout. But I have personal reasons for that: I'm really sensitive to bitter tastes, so coffee and diet soda taste horrible to me, as does alcohol. I don't like any sugary drinks, like juice or non-diet soda, enough to want to consume my calories in that form. And I also have a low tolerance for caffeine, so I typically have just one cup of black tea early in the morning and then water or herbal/decaf tea for the rest of the day.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Water is great,but gets boring after a while. That's why I use an infuser and put frozen fruit in there. Adds a little flavor without the calories.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    water, coffee, tea, juice, gin, scotch, cognac, wine.... in that order. although the alcohol use is a now very rare postprandial treat, it messes with my meds and diabetes. i have never been a fan of soda so the glass i have every 3 or 4 months not a big deal so i have real stuff sweetened with demon sugar. my tonic water is sugar free and my favorite carbonated drink, even without the gin.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't really drink is juice and alcohol. Not overly fond of juices acidity, nor do I generally like the taste of alcohol.

I'll try to stick to a can of diet soda a day to keep the cost down and have a MIO or powder water enhancer for lunch and dinner. Cashew milk goes with sweets and cereal because it tastes good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee and plain tea. Once in a while I'll get a latte or something, but typically I avoid drinking my calories... I'm too hungry to waste calories on drinks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know anyone that never ever drinks anything but water, but I know several people who only drink water on most days. Like they may have something else that is offered at a party or event, but on a typical day all they drink is water.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    tea for breakfast, water until dinner, then diet soda with my dinner !
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like water. I drink 2 - 3 litres a day does it help with my weight loss? No. Does it ensure I'm hydrated living in the tropics? Yes.

I also drink Coke Zero and gin and tonic and wine. I heart wine. I just make sure that the fit in my calories. Winner winner chicken dinner! (Which I also have as long as it fits my calories)